Facelift How straight is your line? A3 3dr Door Panel Alignment Pictures

f1nny

Reaction score
Afternoon All :)

I picked up my new 3 door A3 on Friday and today I've noticed the drivers door panel line is not parallel to the front wing line. Obviously it should be a straight line all the way from the front to the back.

I'm just wondering if people with 3 door A3s would be so kind as to post up a picture of this area/line on their cars for me to compare. I'm tempted to take it to the dealers to have a look but I get the feeling to fix that little alignment might be more hassle than what it's worth.

IMG 4692

FullSizeRender

Ohhh wow, from the close-up in the second photo that doesn't look great. Does the door just need lifted a few mm? How does the wing meet with the bonnet?

Reactions: pburv, f1nny and Rob2k68
My car OCD would get the better of me, get it into the dealer. As said by @Gordo77 maybe just a door adjustment?

Reactions: pburv, TDI-line, f1nny and 3 others
Looking at the images @Shropshire Lad posted, his looks in line. I think a trip back to Audi for an adjustment is needed!

Reactions: pburv, f1nny, Rob2k68 and 2 others
Easily sorted either can be adjusted to suit.....they'll fix it no problem

Reactions: pburv, f1nny, Rob2k68 and 2 others
Just checked mine and yeah, yours is pi$$ed as a fart I'm afraid :wtf:

Reactions: pburv, WarwickL, TDI-line and 5 others
Wing and door is common to FL and PFL so not specific to FL therefore afraid to say it's a poor set condition on your car - gap to wing below the feature line also looks to tighten up and would be more consistent if the door was lifted a few mm. Should be a fairly straight forward adjustment on the door hinge.

I take it the other sides ok ?

Reactions: pburv, f1nny, Jassyo06 and 2 others
Should never of got through QC

Sent from my SM-G388F using Tapatalk

Reactions: richinsoton, Rob2k68 and f1nny
Just checked mine and yeah, yours is pi$$ed as a fart I'm afraid :wtf:

I think the person on Quality Control might have been pi$$ed as a f4rt :D

Reactions: pburv, WarwickL, Rob2k68 and 2 others
My OCD would instantly look for any signs of respraying or damage?
Is this a simple alignment problem or signs of damage repair?

Not saying it is but you need to check, years ago my dad had a new Clio and the door bar to stop it opening to far was loose. I looked round that area and could see paint not matching and overspray . Result car rejected and replaced.

Reactions: pburv and f1nny
Thanks for the input guys. Looks like it's a trip to the dealer.

I've looked at @Shropshire Lad and his looks very similar to mine from that angle. @Shropshire Lad would you mind taking a picture of yours side on?

I've checked the car over with a fine tooth comb and this is one of 3 niggles I have picked up so far.

Here's mine from another angle
IMG 0318

And here's Shropshire lad's (sorry for nicking the photo)

IMG 0317

It seems to come down a little bit similar to mine. Obviously mine looks worse because it's a light colour.

Reactions: Rob2k68, pburv and Simon L
Is it the same on both sides?

Reactions: pburv
I think this is a really useful post, so thanks to @f1nny for posting details and the pics... it's something I'll definitely be looking for when I collect mine.

Hope you get it sorted soon, and its an easy issue to solve.

Reactions: f1nny, Rob2k68, WarwickL and 2 others
Thanks for the input guys. Looks like it's a trip to the dealer.

I've looked at @Shropshire Lad and his looks very similar to mine from that angle. @Shropshire Lad would you mind taking a picture of yours side on?

Hi F1nny, I have taken a few photos this morning ( not great ) was in a hurry and have to concur my torpedo line is not in line and also noticed that the shut line to the bonnet above the headlight is not as tight as it should be. Also when washing the weekend the hose spray seem to get onto the sill near the hinges so there does seem to be a issue with something.
P1060059
P1060060
P1060061

Reactions: pburv, f1nny, Rob2k68 and 1 other person
Here's one of mine showing the swage line alignment between the panels too if it helps? -

Upload 2016 10 6 10 24 58

Last edited:
Reactions: pburv and f1nny
Is it the same on both sides?

Other side is fine, ever so slightly out but there's a +/- 0.5mm tolerance according to ElsaWin. the drivers side is at least 2mm out.

Thanks for the pictures @Shropshire Lad . It does appear that this could be a common issue to the 3 door on certain build weeks maybe?. I've been looking on the Audi used car site and there does appear to be a few more cars which this alignment issue, yet there's some that are perfect like @richinsoton (thanks for your pic).

I've got my car booked in next week to have couple of other issues looked at, so I'll ask if one of the techs can have a quick look and see if it's a pain of a job. My only concern is that trying to get that 2mm gap aligned might throw some of the of gaps out.

Reactions: richinsoton
I think this is a really useful post, so thanks to @f1nny for posting details and the pics... it's something I'll definitely be looking for when I collect mine.

Hope you get it sorted soon, and its an easy issue to solve.

No problem. It'll be interesting to see how my 3dr A3s are actually like this.

My passenger side looks fine it's just the drivers door as you all say, I'm not sure whether the wings are bolted on and there could be some adjustment but you wouldn't want to alter the door to much as it could interfere with something else that's fixed.

So does mine. The left hand side alignment of my drivers door doesn't seem to bad and as @Rob2k68 says the gap between the door and front wing tapers down. This leads me to believe that it could actually be the wing that's out like you say.

As you can see the alignment isn't too bad here compared to the door/front wing side

Q

As you can see here to push the door up would bring the other side down, as well as pushing the gap on the bottom right closer to the wing. If you where to push the door up and try make the gap on the bottom right bigger, then it would push the alignment near the door handle higher and even more out if you get me. This leads me to believe it could actually be the wing that's out?

FullSizeRender

Here's a better picture of the tapered gap that is already smaller at the bottom.

IMG 4692

Last edited:
Reactions: Rob2k68
So does mine. The left hand side alignment of my drivers door doesn't seem to bad and as @Rob2k68 says the gap between the door and front wing tapers down. This leads me to believe that it could actually be the wing that's out like you say.

As you can see the alignment isn't too bad here compared to the door/front wing side

View attachment 105835

As you can see here to push the door up would bring the other side down, as well as pushing the gap on the bottom right closer to the wing. If you where to push the door up and try make the gap on the bottom right bigger, then it would push the alignment near the door handle higher and even more out if you get me. This leads me to believe it could actually be the wing that's out?

View attachment 105836

Here's a better picture of the tapered gap that is already smaller at the bottom.

View attachment 105837

It could well be the wing that is out but I take it that it is a constant gap and flush to the bonnet - also how does the gap look between the wing and the base of the A pillar ? Same on both sides ?

As the wing is bolted on with little adjustment on offer it'll still be the door set that'll be the easiest way to improve the line out, as you say though it'll likely effect the line out to the rear door feature line or body side feature line on a 3 door. It looks to me that the door needs to go up and then the upper hinge going rearward where that bolts to the body which will have the effect of lifting the door and then rotating it anti-clockwise. The latch striker on the body (silver loop) may also need a tweak if door shut quality is effected.

Reactions: Simon L, pburv and f1nny
It could well be the wing that is out but I take it that it is a constant gap and flush to the bonnet - also how does the gap look between the wing and the base of the A pillar ? Same on both sides ?

As the wing is bolted on with little adjustment on offer it'll still be the door set that'll be the easiest way to improve the line out, as you say though it'll likely effect the line out to the rear door feature line or body side feature line on a 3 door. It looks to me that the door needs to go up and then the upper hinge going rearward where that bolts to the body which will have the effect of lifting the door and then rotating it anti-clockwise. The latch striker on the body (silver loop) may also need a tweak if door shut quality is effected.

@Rob2k68 It looks like it is the wing. Just been out and took some pictures. The gap between the wing and bottom of the A pillar is closer than the passengers side. Which would explain why the feature line is slightly higher on the wing compared to the door. The bonnet and wing seem flush though.

IMG 4711

FullSizeRender

My 3door.

Drivers door to wing:

IMG 4117

Drivers door to rear:

IMG 4118

Reactions: f1nny, Simon L and pburv
@Rob2k68 It looks like it is the wing. Just been out and took some pictures. The gap between the wing and bottom of the A pillar is closer than the passengers side. Which would explain why the feature line is slightly higher on the wing compared to the door. The bonnet and wing seem flush though.

View attachment 105844
View attachment 105845
View attachment 105846

Mines a S/B but splits at the front should be the same, here's a few pics of mine for comparison. Your wing lines out well to the bonnet, the base of the A pillar and the bright chrome strip on top of the door. Just looked under my bonnet and can't see how the wings can be adjusted they appear to just bolt to the structure- it's possible to add washers to lift them a bit but almost impossible to lower them. Might be worth swinging by Audi ....

IMG 1120

IMG 1121

Reactions: pburv and Simon L
Mines a S/B but splits at the front should be the same, here's a few pics of mine for comparison. Your wing lines out well to the bonnet, the base of the A pillar and the bright chrome strip on top of the door. Just looked under my bonnet and can't see how the wings can be adjusted they appear to just bolt to the structure- it's possible to add washers to lift them a bit but almost impossible to lower them. Might be worth swinging by Audi ....

View attachment 105850
View attachment 105851

That's some sexy looking alignment you got there Robbo!! ;)

I think you were right with your earlier comment though, OP's looks in need of a hinge adjustment?

Reactions: Jassyo06, f1nny, pburv and 1 other person
I should never have read this thread, as my OCD has gone into overdrive now.

Passenger side is fine:
IMG 2586

Driver side seems to be out:
IMG 2584
IMG 2585

Also noticed that just in front of mirror, a water trail/mark that's ran from the door join down has either etched the paint, or I've managed to seal it in as it won't come off with a bit of QD.:boxing: It's quite hard to see but I know it's there now, and will probably notice it every time now.
IMG 2583

Reactions: richinsoton, pburv and Simon L

Passenger side is fine:
View attachment 105852

View attachment 105853
View attachment 105854

Also noticed that just in front of mirror, a water trail/mark that's ran from the door join down has either etched the paint, or I've managed to seal it in as it won't come off with a bit of QD.:boxing: It's quite hard to see but I know it's there now, and will probably notice it every time now.
View attachment 105855

Can't see much wrong with yours mate?

As for the water mark use a bit of polish (autoglym or similar), start gentle and gradually increase the pressure.........that'll get shot of it.

Reactions: Jassyo06, pburv and Rob2k68

Passenger side is fine:
View attachment 105852

View attachment 105853
View attachment 105854

View attachment 105855

That looks fine mate certainly within tolerance and maybe a mm out at most :friends:

Swing by the detailing section there must be loads of good tips on removing water marks over there. Anything I struggle to remove generally ends up going over with the DA and a very light compound.

Reactions: Simon L
Can't see much wrong with yours mate?

As for the water mark use a bit of polish (autoglym or similar), start gentle and gradually increase the pressure.........that'll get shot of it.

I'm maybe being paranoid haha, or my eyesight is failing me, but it looks slightly off, I'd have never noticed it if I hadn't been looking for it (or maybe my passenger side is too perfect..)

IMG 2587

As for water mark, I'll try polishing it out next opportunity I get, but don't really want to be removing any sealant and wax after just giving it a winter prep, so it may get left until next year depending on how much it starts to annoy me

Reactions: Jassyo06, Rob2k68, pburv and 1 other person

Passenger side is fine:
View attachment 105852

View attachment 105853
View attachment 105854

View attachment 105855
In the red boxed part?

Also where I've marked with the circle, is that a ding or just the light?

Pnt

Reactions: pburv
In the red boxed part?

Also where I've marked with the circle, is that a ding or just the light?

View attachment 105860
Yep, that's the bit, runs at an angle down to the line then straight halfway down the door.

Thankfully the bit you circled is just a light reflection (had me worried there!)

Reactions: Simon L and Rob2k68
My 3door.

Drivers door to wing:

View attachment 105848

Drivers door to rear:

View attachment 105849

I'd say yours is spot on.

Passenger side is fine:
View attachment 105852

View attachment 105853
View attachment 105854

View attachment 105855

I'd be happy if mine was only that much out ha.

View attachment 105850
View attachment 105851

Perfect. The sportbacks all seem to be bang on.

I'll ask the dealer what they think when I take it in next week. Think my OCD will get the better of me too ha

Reactions: Simon L and Rob2k68
Looks ****** to me.

Sent from my E6653 using Tapatalk

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: WarwickL
Yep, that's the bit, runs at an angle down to the line then straight halfway down the door.

Thankfully the bit you circled is just a light reflection (had me worried there!)
lol sorry did I make you go back out and look?

Part of my job is to spot defects...so I see every single mark on my own car!!! :( That's the reason I have to choose colour carefully, I'd love to have red, silver some blues etc. but the bumpers just jump out at me and it would do my head in.

Reactions: SamR92, richinsoton, Rob2k68 and 1 other person
lol sorry did I make you go back out and look?

Part of my job is to spot defects...so I see every single mark on my own car!!! :( That's the reason I have to choose colour carefully, I'd love to have red, silver some blues etc. but the bumpers just jump out at me and it would do my head in.

You spot paint defects for a living and ended up with a black car?? lol

bdbyd.jpg

Reactions: Jassyo06, Rob2k68, jonisginger and 1 other person
You spot paint defects for a living and ended up with a black car?? lol

bdbyd.jpg
Part of the job yeah, but it looks so nice when clean lol :) I would have gone white, but my last car was white...next WILL be white ;)

I can live with the odd chip, scratch etc. but the different colour bumper/car Noooooooooooo :D With my 'work' head on, when sitting inside the Audi I can safely say it's very well screwed together and the material quality is top notch. I see what we build and I often think "wow It looks c**p" and it's not a cheap car either!

Reactions: Rob2k68, richinsoton and Simon L

Shouldn't worry about it Sam.......I'd need to go the SpecSavers to see the mark.....just get out and enjoy driving your car, and forget about your OCD!!!

Reactions: SamR92, Rob2k68 and Simon L
For those that have the Facelift can you see if you have this black cap on the door hinges ?(see 1st pic).

When taken off it looks like you can raise or lower the door yourself ?(see 2nd pic), i haven't tried it so i'm not to sure if it does or not ?.

Oh and taking off the cap might scrape a bit of the paint off of the screw !?

Attachments

• IMAG1091k.jpg
    IMAG1091k.jpg
    242.8 KB · Views: 247
  • IMAG1092k.jpg
    IMAG1092k.jpg
    281.4 KB · Views: 255
@Bittern That won't raise the door it's the locking screw for the lift off hinges - take that out of both upper and lower hinges and you can lift the door off.

Only way to lift the door is by loosening the hinge leaf which has an over size hole, adjusting then tightening up. Typically the leaf on the door is used to set flushness and the one on the body for fore and aft and height.

Reactions: Simon L, KenL and Bittern