How long to brake a new clutch in?

prt57

Reaction score
I had a new RTS clutch fitted over the past couple of days at Awesome GTI. Superb service and the technician really took care of my car. As this was part of other jobs it was important for me to explain to the person doing the job how I wanted things done. No problem with a thorough chat before and after the work was carried out.

It is true what they say about the RTS clutches in that the pedal pressure is like the stock feel in spite of this being a performance clutch. I had a new DMF and a new LUK slave cylinder fitted at the same time. I went for the DMF version as I did not want any chatter from the SMF version. This is advertised as chatter free but I could here a bit of noise on a car I listened to.
Going back to my car, there is a bit of judder in 1st and reverse as it is brand new but less than I experienced in another car with a different make of clutch.
I know the judder should smooth out as I had a brief drive in a demo car and it was perfect.

So to people who have had a new performance clutch, what did you do to brake the clutch in and how long did it take you until it was smooth?

Drive it in town and treat it gently, as little boost as possible for 1000 miles. Not that it matters really as the DMF on my Sachs setup seems to be shot anyway already.

keep providing feedback on your setup please as will be looking at going the same route just SMF next time

Hi @prt57 - I have a Spec 2+ and SMF fitted at the moment. It’s a horrible clutch but I have it 500 miles to run in. There is no judder but I get that awful ceramic slipping sound on drive off and little chatter but the main issue is the selecting of gears.

I've just received an RTS and SMF which I’ll be replacing the Spec with shortly, I’ll let you know how this goes.