Help with gearbox identification

KevinPS

Reaction score
Hello newby here but looking for some help with an automatic gearbox type.

My daughter has bought a few days ago a 2006 A3 1.6 petrol sport back. It has an auto box. I had an A3 a few years ago with a DSG so was expecting the same. It was a bit slammy from 1st to second when cold so I thought i’d change the transmission fluid and filter. Upon checking however it’s certainly not a DSG. Seems like a normal auto box. It appears to have coolant piped to it but most strange is it appears to have no real drain plug to speak of.

So my question is. What type of gearbox is this? Is there a name for it? And is it serviceable? Or can it at least be topped up? GSF appear to list a filter kit for it.

Many thanks for any help as it has me stumped not helped by the internet talking everything DSG.

Thanks

Some of the older boxes are indeed the hydraulic torque converter type boxes. Older autos often have a fill plug only in which case you could use an electric pump, such as a Pela Pump to suck out the oil when the oil is hot. Im not sure about Audi versions but some other autos do have adjusters to adjusts the shift points. Have a look on the USA Audi / VW forums as they would have more hydraulic auto cars over there.

Reactions: KevinPS