HELP! Cruise control retrofit disaster!

Nessy

VW + Audi mad
Reaction score
Not having a good day so far!
I've got the car partially dis-assembled on the drive trying to retrofit cruise control.
Have the CC stalk and Kufatec loom etc, thought I wouldn't change the stalk switch until I'd sorted out the wiring to the white connector in the plenum chamber....
Thank God I waited!
My problem is the white 15 pin connector I was expecting there isn't!
It looks nothing like it, and is more like a white 10 pin one!
My white connector doesn't come apart, so really don't see how on earth my Kufatec loom wires are going to fit anywhere?
What's more, my existing white connector doesn't have any spare holes to fit the Kufatec loom pins?
I will post a pic up in a minute, can anyone offer any advice before I put everything back in and give up?
Are there differences between the early/late cars?
Being an October 1998 car I'd always regarded it as a late version Pre-Facelift car an so wasn't expecting any problems!
This has really ruined my day.........

This is what I was expecting...
6ConnectorAssembled.jpg

This is the connector I actually have....
cruise002_zps3bbaa4de.jpg

cruise003_zpsfaa55a04.jpg

Thanks!

Last edited:
You've got the almost the identical car to me and I can't remember for the life of me what white plug I had. :|

I'll take a look for my thread and see if that helps.
Brb.

EDIT:=- all the threads I found are no help. They are all talking about the white plug that you was expecting.

Last edited:
You've got the almost the identical car to me and I can't remember for the life of me what white plug I had. :|

I'll take a look for my thread and see if that helps.
Brb.

Thanks!
Googling in desperation I've just come across a B5 Passat how-to that sems to be a copy from ELSAWIN , and it says that the white connector is for petrol models and an orange one for diesel?
I've been out for another look and none of the connectors in the footwell or on that connector block up near the ECU are orange either???
Whats more mystifying is that I just cant see any connector in the vicinity that looks like that splittable 15-pin one...
I'm stumped, as well as pee'd off,lol.

Thanks!
Googling in desperation I've just come across a B5 Passat how-to that sems to be a copy from ELSAWIN , and it says that the white connector is for petrol models and an orange one for diesel?
I've been out for another look and none of the connectors in the footwell or on that connector block up near the ECU are orange either???
I'm stumped, as well as pee'd off,lol.

Its deffo white.
I would go out and take my car apart and take a look for you but I'm in work and don't have the tools with me.

I'll have a look through my pics and see if I got any thing that might help.

Its deffo white.
I would go out and take my car apart and take a look for you but I'm in work and don't have the tools with me.

I'll have a look through my pics and see if I got any thing that might help.

I wouldn't expect you to dismantle stuff, lol, but any help with pics much appreciated!
I'm just sitting here with sore fingers not wanting to give up!

I wouldn't expect you to dismantle stuff, lol, but any help with pics much appreciated!
I'm just sitting here with sore fingers not wanting to give up!

Can't find any pics. :(
Sorry.

The only other option is to take it apart.
If you can wait 4 hours, I'll be home and I'll be able to do it then.

Can't find any pics. :(
Sorry.

The only other option is to take it apart.
If you can wait 4 hours, I'll be home and I'll be able to do it then.

Thanks, but please dont go tearing your car apart for my sake!
I'm not working today or tomorrow so am not in a real rush; just dont want to give up only to have to try and start the job again, getting those connectors off the ECU was a right pain, literally!!! (hence sore fingers comment!!)
I take it your car is a TDI too?
Cant get over why my white connector is different......

Thanks, but please dont go tearing your car apart for my sake!
I'm not working today or tomorow so am not in a real rush; just dont want to give up only to have to try and start the job again, getting those connectors off the ECU was a right pain, literally!!! (hence sore fingers comment!!)
I take it your car is a TDI too?
Cant get over why my white connector is different......

1998 1.9 TDI 110bhp Avant SE Auto

Where did you find that white connector? Maybe take a wider angle photo incase your looking in the wrong place?

The connector you need is RIGHT up the back of the dash, you ideally need to unclip them from the ECU box and pull them back down into the car, you'll have to remove the central electrics panel to get at them too.

Where did you find that white connector? Maybe take a wider angle photo incase your looking in the wrong place?

The connector you need is RIGHT up the back of the dash, you ideally need to unclip them from the ECU box and pull them back down into the car, you'll have to remove the central electrics panel to get at them too.

Its the only white connector I have, I had to remove the ECU and it was the one next to the 5 other connector blocks on th eplenum chamber mounting plate/block , and yes I had to unbolt the relay panel to get at.
Apart from the plugs appearance, the job has gone exactly the same as all the B5 A4 and B5/B5.5 Passat how-tos describe.
Unless I'm an utter imbecile my white plug isn't a T15 one that all the guides say it should be.....

That does look like an older wiring connector, but more like from 1996 era cars.

The '97 S4 outside has the proper T15 white plug, so its very odd that your '99 doesnt...

Whats the year on the ECU?

What's happening Nessy?
Any luck?

Well, the new CC stalk is fitted ,wheel back on etc (the only part of this that has gone really easily!), its just the footwell full of electrical wires now!
I found this late last night....

A few tips on fitting Cruise Control to 1996 Audi A4 B5 TDi - Audifans.net

Now, the car the thread was referring to was a '96 AFN Tdi (with the 68 pin ECU) , whereas mine is the later 80 pin one.
Consequently, the pin numbers on the ECU mentioned don't match mine, but the wires going to the coloured plugs do match what I have ie 2 wires at the yellow plug , 1 wire at black and 1 wire at beige connector all colour-matching those mentioned and all with no corresponding pin on the other side of the connection?
Lifting from that thread;
ECU pin 58 (Red/Grey trace) = On (Pin 4 and 6 on your Cruise Control Stalk)
This wire is in the Beige 6 pin Plug

ECU pin 34 (Blue) = Resume (Pin 2)
This wire is in the Yellow 6 pin Plug

ECU pin 35 (Red/Yellow trace) = Set (Pin 3)
This wire is in the Black 6 pin Plug

ECU pin 66 (Black/Yellow trace) = Pin 1 on your Cruise Control Stalk.
This wire is in the Yellow 6 pin Plug

Aside from the ECU pin numbers I have all that exactly on my car.

So, I might have it sussed BUT I'd rather check it against a known wiring diagram that is correct for my car.
I really don't want to fry my ECU,lol.......
Think I'm very nearly there.....

First off, a huge thanks to Aragorn who sent me the wiring diagram for my car....here it is

cruisepic_zpse441fde6.png

Its all installed, but not working, its totally dead when I press 'set' , tried well above the 40kmh minimum and its definitely noit functioning.
The car was out there with battery disconnected and ECU removed overnight and everything went back together OK and works, apart from the cruise...
I'm as sure as I can be that its wired up correctly, my only question is item '45' in the box below the cruise control switch E45?
I've understood this as being the ignition-controlled +ve feed, so have taken a feed off fuse 31, which is the factory way of fusing the cruise control circuit?
On the verge of ripping out the CC stalk assembly (I bought a s/h one in supposedly working order) I then came across this Audiworld thread (pictures at end on page 3) where someone goes through the procedure for cleaning the contacts of the CC stalk but says after re-connecting the battery in his case the cruise often doesn't work until about 15 miles have elapsed? He thinks its due to some sort of safe mode after the battery has been off for so long?
Does this sound feasible?
Or have I probably got a manky gunged-up stalk?

Here's How to Fix Your Cruise Control... - Page 3 - AudiWorld Forums

Can anyone offer any tips as to what I can do next?
I did re-check the car and cruise is still enabled (thought it might have cleared itself with the ECU having been removed), but only have the shareware version of VCDS so limited in what I can do....

Thanks!

Last edited:
The square blocks go to other current tracks, which you can see along the bottom.

So that [45] with the manual transmission star goes to the corresponding [43] at the bottom, which as you say is an ignition switched live. Easiest place to source it is the red/white wires at the clutch or brake switches, as you can see on the diagram they're all connected to the same place.

You'll need to use vagcom to connect to the ECU and see if it can see the stalk doing the right thing or not. It appears on one of the measuring blocks along with the brake and clutch switch inputs.

Thanks chaps!

Does the switch work?

Test the continuity of the switch to make sure its ok.

Mine was always canceling when I first did it.

I've no idea tbh if it works....didn't want to dismantle it when it arrived, its only now reading around that I see how dodgy they become with age!

The square blocks go to other current tracks, which you can see along the bottom.

So that [45] with the manual transmission star goes to the corresponding [43] at the bottom, which as you say is an ignition switched live. Easiest place to source it is the red/white wires at the clutch or brake switches, as you can see on the diagram they're all connected to the same place.

You'll need to use vagcom to connect to the ECU and see if it can see the stalk doing the right thing or not. It appears on one of the measuring blocks along with the brake and clutch switch inputs.

It makes sense now, thanks!
Yes it looks as if my +ve feed from Fuse 31 is OK then.
I've only got the shareware version of VCDS, and have been to car to scan it, under Engine and Measuring blocks though it doesn't show me zones, only Groups?
I see nothing like the results that PaulF described in his cruise how-to that I have been using as my guide?
Does this mean I cant really check if the CCS is working with my limited-functionality VCDS?
Think I might get the stalk off again and clean it anyway......

Well I've just spent the last 2 hrs or so taking my dash apart (again) to get the CC stalk out.
Following the Audiworld how-to above I then totally dismantled the stalk and gave it a good clean with dry cleaning fluid.
There wasn't too much oxidation present on the contacts or circuit board really so put it all back together not optimistic of any great difference.
Went for a quick spin and I now have working cruise control!!!!!!!!!!
Thanks to all who've helped!

Nice one mate.
Enjoy it.

Don't forget that if you speed up to over take the cruise control will still be enabled and when you slow down it will resume at your set speed.
If you set your speed to say 70mph while you are on the motorway, hit a traffic jam, slow down to 0mph, then it opens up and the road is clear in front of you, once you are over 25mph you can press resume and the car will go back up to 70mph.
This only works well if you have an auto, I think you manual people are screwed.
You can speed up and slow down via the stalk controls.

It works on a manual too, but obviously it cant change gear, and if you declutch to change gear yourself it will shut the cruise off.

It works on a manual too, but obviously it cant change gear, and if you declutch to change gear yourself it will shut the cruise off.
That's what I mean.

I can pull on to a slip way, press resume and it will go from 25 up to 70 and all I got to do is steer.
It even drops it down a gear when going up a steep hill.

Auto FTW!!

Thanks all, yes with an auto cruise is so much more fun but after over an hour today with cruise engaged it seems to work perfectly.
I have to say that the degree of acceleration / retardation with the 'set' and 'resume' buttons is rather pedestrian to say the least but think that might be due to my stalk contacts being old and possibly tarnished inside, although clean enough to work? I'm not bothered really about that though tbh as my main desire is just to get to a speed with the accelerator and then maintain it by pressing 'set', and for that function it all copes admirably.

I was a bit bored this morning , and the switch issues mentioned above were bugging me, so I removed the stalk again to give the contacts a good clean....
With a few cotton buds and some metal polish very sparingly applied the copper backing-board of the switch was soon nice and shiny, as were the 4 metal sliding contacts within.
Once re-assembled and back on the car I can say following a brief road-test that things are much much better, it willingly returns to the previously set speed on 'resume' and will also accelerate with gusto using the + function.
Its still a bit slow to lose speed with the -function but I can live with that.
To anyone having issues with their switches I'd say have a go at cleaning them, its quite easy and will bring definite improvements.

Thanks!
Having done a few trips to work and back I can't get over how heavy the accelerator now feels when keeping it pressed for long periods of time!
Cruise FTW,lol...........

I'm having exact the same problem as Nessy, could you Nessy or Aragorn send me also the wiring diagram (Cannot read clearly from the diagram posted by Nessy).

Edit: link to better quality wiring diagram

Thank you guys :)

Last edited:
are these DBW cars?

Would love cruise in her TQS but it's a throttle cable car ! Unlike my B6.... that was a doddle, especially as an Audi Tech did it for me !

(It is easy, once you know what to do!)

bit like life really : )

As a Beetle owner ( '63 1200 & '72 1300) in the late 1960s and 70s..... love the 1302 Cab....... could never afford one then, now I can, I'm not really that bothered now !! As for a Ghia.... well ...

Got it working very easy, this is what i plugged (i have orginal wiring connector from the switch, all cables from switch are yellow).

Switch pin 1 - > Brown connector pin 1
Switch pin 2 - > Yellow connector pin 1
Switch pin 3 - > Black connector 8
Switch pin 4& 6 -> Yellow connector 9
Switch pin 5 -> Power +12v

Thanks for the wiring diagram! I had 31.10.1998 date on my ECU and all connector cables were dated near that day.

Got it working very easy, this is what i plugged (i have orginal wiring connector from the switch, all cables from switch are yellow).

Switch pin 1 - > Brown connector pin 1
Switch pin 2 - > Yellow connector pin 1

Thanks for the wiring diagram! I had 31.10.1998 date on my ECU and all connector cables were dated near that day.

Delighted to hear that you have it working OK!
Am a bit puzzled that you had gaps in your connectors (even on the ECU side?) at pin 10 and had to plug the 2 wires mentioned above into pin 1 in both connectors.....
All I can say is that my car mirrored the wiring diagram exactly as both the above CC loom wires went into pins 10 of the beige and yellow connectors!
I'm not posting this to be pedantic,LOL, only to help others in the future who try and fit cruise to 'early' wiring system cars and come across this thread.......
Either way, well done and enjoy......

As a Beetle owner ( '63 1200 & '72 1300) in the late 1960s and 70s..... love the 1302 Cab....... could never afford one then, now I can, I'm not really that bothered now !! As for a Ghia.... well ...

The Beetle doesn't get much use (<1k miles per year) and the Ghia even less, but when they do make it out of the garage the ensuing grin from ear to ear makes all their upkeep worthwhile!

Last edited:
Delighted to hear that you have it working OK!
Am a bit puzzled that you had gaps in your connectors (even on the ECU side?) at pin 10 and had to plug the 2 wires mentioned above into pin 1 in both connectors.....
All I can say is that my car mirrored the wiring diagram exactly as both the above CC loom wires went into pins 10 of the beige and yellow connectors!
I'm not posting this to be pedantic,LOL, only to help others in the future who try and fit cruise to 'early' wiring system cars and come across this thread.......
Either way, well done and enjoy......

The Beetle doesn't get much use (<1k miles per year) and the Ghia even less, but when they do make it out of the garage the ensuing grin from ear to ear makes all their upkeep worthwhile!

I have no wires / connectors on both on yellow and beige pin 10..and the colours matched pin 1's.