Headers??

There are some manufacturers here in the States that make a high flow exhaust header for the 1.8T but not for the V6. The market for custom headers on Euro cars in the states is small if non-existent. If you find someone in Europe that makes them for the 3.0L V6 let me know!!

Thanks for the info! I'll keep looking around... no... I didn't mean intake manifold. I meant headers, like I said. :rolleyes:

A4Quattro said:
whats a header?

Heres one.

header.jpg

That my friend looks like a tubular exhaust manifold and downpipe.

Definately an americanism.

A4Quattro said:
That my friend looks like a tubular exhaust manifold and downpipe.

Definately an americanism.

tubular exhaust manifold....

headers...

yeah... headers is shorter... easier to say.. quicker to type... i'll stick with my americanism ;)

AudiSpeed28 said:
tubular exhaust manifold....

headers...

yeah... headers is shorter... easier to say.. quicker to type... i'll stick with my americanism ;)

but with all the posts you have had to write xplaining what a header is you would of used far less effot saying 'Manifold'

:thumbsup:

And they wonder why world hates them...

I hate Americanisms. What I hate more is when they get arsey when people ask what the **** they're talking about and use the correct term.

:asskicking:

My initial though was header tank, but how someone can not know that's and exhaust manifold.... :banghead:

A4Andy said:
And they wonder why world hates them...

I hate Americanisms. What I hate more is when they get arsey when people ask what the **** they're talking about and use the correct term.

:asskicking:

My initial though was header tank, but how someone can not know that's and exhaust manifold.... :banghead:

LOL, im with you on that one!!!

Wow... so this topic went from advice on parts to help exhaust flow to how you guys hate Americans... *clap*:blahblah1:

The word "manifold" is from the Anglo-Saxon "many"+"fold" and refers to the folding together of multiple inputs and outputs. www.wikipedia.com

Headers - 1. A special exhaust manifold with tubes of equal length from the exhaust ports to the header of the exhaust system.

The term headers has been around since hot-rodding started in the States. It's not something "we" made up, it's actual means the head of the exhaust system. Some would argue that it's used more than the world "manifold" because most refer to this as being the intake manifold.

BTW, a lot of Americans could care less about the "way" British people talk because it seems pretentious.

American's typically don't care how people talk or what terms they use which makes this such a great place to live. Ya we have our violance, hatred, and racism, but it's the same anywhere you go in the world. We are brought up to accept differences since we live in such a diverse country.

back on topic the 2.7 biturbo has tubular exhaust manifolds to the turbo made by autospeedperformance , for the NA i think i read a post that there were some from borla or supersprint?

HTH...

Maybe i'm a bit ignorant but how can you have a tubular exhaust manifold onto a turbo? The turbo only has one outlet so a manifold isn't necessary, just a downpipe.
Or is it that the manifold you suggest connects both turbo's to the exhaust system?
The manifold that feeds the turbo from the head is normally cast iron and isn't long enough to be tubular!

Got any pictures??

dstech said:
BTW, a lot of Americans could care less about the "way" British people talk because it seems pretentious.

I don't want to perpetuate this argument but it seems a little preposterous that you call the way we speak pretentious, yet you have adopted the language we invented and have spoken for maybe 1000 years. Maybe we have the right to be a little pretentious over the bastardisation of our language in whatever form (american or not) that may be!

I'm not looking for an argument or to cause bad feelings, I think that's been done already, In the first instance I was trying to gauge what a header was, so in fairness, a header is an american coloquilism for an exhaust manifold.

*shakes head* Still on the topic of the Brits are better than everyone else? Look, it comes down to this... Great Britain.. England... whatever the hell you want to call it.. is just another glob of land on the earth.. just like anywhere else. If you really think you're all that superior, go stroke your ego somewhere else.

AudiSpeed28 said:
*shakes head* Still on the topic of the Brits are better than everyone else? Look, it comes down to this... Great Britain.. England... whatever the hell you want to call it.. is just another glob of land on the earth.. just like anywhere else. If you really think you're all that superior, go stroke your ego somewhere else.

Enjoying reading this thread!
:motz:

Though I think it's probably worth pointing out to you that "England" and "Great Britain" are emphatically not one and the same!!

nivagh said:
Enjoying reading this thread!
:motz:

Though I think it's probably worth pointing out to you that "England" and "Great Britain" are emphatically not one and the same!!

Exactly what I was about to say. The way I see the American use of English is the same way I see Chavs/NEDs/idiots using "text speak." It's a means of communicating, but English it is not.

I don't want to hijack the thread and start another race row on this forum, however I do think that we're all grownup enough to use the correct terms for car parts and accept it when we're corected. For example I'll never call my DV a dump valve ever again. :readit:

With regards to the manifold question, I have to agree with Mr Quattro; I don't get it. I am, however, willing to learn if anyone cares to explain.

AudiSpeed28 said:

It has nothing to do with that!
We genuinely do not undestand some of the words you use, so when asked don't get arsey and say it is us being difficult, the reason he was asking is he wanted to try and help.
I can walk into a pub in Glasgow and not understand a word of it, not just because of the accent but because they use different words to those I do for certain things.
Don't take it personally as it comes across as being very insular, which is an image I am sure most Amercians want to shake off.

Come on guys play fair and put your dictionaries away, some of these big words are killing me...

pav-g

Have to say that "headers" is a common term in the bike world. Never heard of anyone talking about manifolds on bike engines.

I tend to think of headers as separate exhaust pipes for each cylinder while a manifold is a cast section. i.e. you could remove individual headers but the manifold is a single piece.

It started out as a "what is that" question, then turned into "oh he's AMERICAN, no wonder" Then he tells me what he thinks they should be called. I don't go to England and tell anyone there how to speak, or what words to use. I adapt. No one has the right to tell someone else how to speak or what words to use. I've learned bits of Korean, Arabic AND spanish to communicate well enough with the people I had to, so when I feel like speaking my own language on an international forum, I have that right. Thanks.

AudiSpeed28 said:
It started out as a "what is that" question, then turned into "oh he's AMERICAN, no wonder" Then he tells me what he thinks they should be called. I don't go to England and tell anyone there how to speak, or what words to use. I adapt. No one has the right to tell someone else how to speak or what words to use. I've learned bits of Korean, Arabic AND spanish to communicate well enough with the people I had to, so when I feel like speaking my own language on an international forum, I have that right. Thanks.

Hey, listen. I never said "this is what they should be called" I asked you what you meant and then I told you what it was called "over here" as you were asking people "over here" I was clarifying for the people "over here" what it is you meant.

if you feel like getting arsey then crack on mate, check my posts before you start pointing the finger otherwise you're gonna make yourself look even more dumb.

yes you are :lol: just kidding.

the exhaust manifold from the heads, there are tubulars available i have a pair somewhere waiting to go on my engine when the big turbs get here soon. they are 3-1 from each bank to each turbo then downpipes come out the other end of the turbs

here ya go http://autospeedperformance.com/Audi/S4ManThm.jpg

A4Quattro said:
Maybe i'm a bit ignorant but how can you have a tubular exhaust manifold onto a turbo? The turbo only has one outlet so a manifold isn't necessary, just a downpipe.
Or is it that the manifold you suggest connects both turbo's to the exhaust system?
The manifold that feeds the turbo from the head is normally cast iron and isn't long enough to be tubular!

Got any pictures??

to the original question you could have some made up like this, not like there will be problems with pressure down the exhaust mani's on a NA engine so strength wont be as much of an issue for you.