H&R ARB

abdus

Top Gear
VCDS Map User
Reaction score
can someone please tell me which car are these ARBs for:

HRARB8.jpg

when I bought the kit, it came with the fitment guide which said:

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b370/saidda/HandR ARB/HRARB1.jpg?t=1213961426 fitment

But it seems they are not for any FWD car. there are no part no. on the ARB either.

Thanks

From the instructions it looks like they're for the Golf 4 FWD chasis. Part numbers should be writen on the bars as they always are with the H&R ones or on the bushes.

Damian @ DPM

that's exactly the problem I'm having. The instructions says it's for the A3 8L FWD, Golf 4 FWD etc...but they don't seem to fit on the car.

Or are they for a quattro or V6?

What other bits have you got in the way of brackets etc? The rear bar looks different to the whiteline bar I had on my A3. I never replaced the front bar so I'm not sure what shape that one should be.

Those instructions are definately for the FWD Golf 4 bars.

Damian @ DPM

Yeah, the instructions are definitely for a FWD Golf 4. But, I think they are the wrong ones that came with the ARBs.

The ARB will not fit to my A3 8L FWD

looking at the bars you have there, I don't see how either of them would fit onto the rear beam of an A3..... so I would assume from that that theyre the wrong ones!

looking at the bars you have there, I don't see how either of them would fit onto the rear beam of an A3..... so I would assume from that that theyre the wrong ones!

yep definitely wrong ones (for an A3 FWD)

I don't have any other fittings that came with it.

serves you right for buying H&R really doesn't it ;)

Eibach are THE way forward for the FWD chassis.....

The H&R front bar is FAR too big, and the rear bar not big enough.

It admirably reduces body roll, but does not change the awful understeer biased balance of the car.

The eibachs use a 22mm front bar and a 25mm rear, which makes the car much more neutral.

Mine on eibachs doesn't understeer at all now unless provoked, and it's got a nice handfull of easily controlled lift off over steer.

serves you right for buying H&R really doesn't it ;)

Eibach are THE way forward for the FWD chassis.....

The H&R front bar is FAR too big, and the rear bar not big enough.

It admirably reduces body roll, but does not change the awful understeer biased balance of the car.

The eibachs use a 22mm front bar and a 25mm rear, which makes the car much more neutral.

Mine on eibachs doesn't understeer at all now unless provoked, and it's got a nice handfull of easily controlled lift off over steer.

I've heard that 19mm on the rear is the largest size recommended for this chassis, does this measurement vary from A3 to S3? can someone direct me to a link or explain the benefits from going bigger?
Sorry for the ignorance, just want to be clear on it as im hoping to get some soon too.

S3 and a3 are completely different rear susspension hence an S3 generally takes a thinner bar. Roll stiffness still needs to be the same, but the independant rear suspension means the pivot points for each of the rear wheels is shorter than the "Live" rear beam, whihc effectively pivots around the usspension pick up on the other side of the car! Hence why a rear beam car will need 25mil plus (I ran 28mil in winter, 32mil hollow bar in summer on mk4, ) but on S3 I only have a 23mil neuspeed, (although i did try the 25 mil hollow bar). Rear roll is deffinately stiffer on the s3, despite it being a thinner bar, as the moment of force is lower, so the stiffness higher.

Those H and R bars in the photo look a bit like s3 and R32 ones in shape, but I cannot see the scale! R32 and s3 fornt bars are different to the a3/golf ones, IIRC, due to having to clear the transfer box for 4wd..?

I would send them back if I were you!

I've heard that 19mm on the rear is the largest size recommended for this chassis, does this measurement vary from A3 to S3? can someone direct me to a link or explain the benefits from going bigger?
Sorry for the ignorance, just want to be clear on it as im hoping to get some soon too.

No worries, as already said by Simch, the 19mm rear suggestion is for the S3, with independant rear sus.

On the A3, the standard balance is SO biased towards understeer, that you need a massive rear bar to make the car drive properly.

Simch sounds like a hard core rear ARB fan, running 28mm or 32mm rears!

I ran just my eibach rear for a while with the standard front bar, and the car was fairly tail end happy, but great fun to drive.

With the pair of eibachs on now, it's very neutral.

Baiscly, if you stiffen up the front end in any way, it induces understeer, stiffen up the rear, and it induced over steer.

You need to do both accordingly, in such a way you get a balance you are happy with.

My me, eibachs with a decent set of matched shocks and springs are about perfect for every day fast road use. It's no race car, if I tracked it more I'd get the 28mm rear.

still hasn't answered my question though...

what car do these look like to fit?

Baiscly, if you stiffen up the front end in any way, it induces understeer, stiffen up the rear, and it induced over steer.

You need to do both accordingly, in such a way you get a balance you are happy with.

Sorry if ive slightly hijacked this thread, just one last question and then hopfully you'll get the answer...

On stiffening up the rear and front end.. how does a strut brace mix up the set up.. ive got one on there now, and it is nice and stiff in the front through the corners, however still understeers when i hammer it into the corners.. so a rear ARB would go nicely imo, however if i was to change the front ARB with the strut brace and rear ARB on there would it bring me more understeer again?

Might just get a rear for now and then see how it goes see if i need a front ARB front.. in peoples experience what do people think of this?

can someone please tell me which car are these ARBs for:

HRARB8.jpg

when I bought the kit, it came with the fitment guide which said:

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b3...g?t=1213961426 fitment

But it seems they are not for any FWD car. there are no part no. on the ARB either.

From the way they are clearly both made for use with a drop link, I'd say they're for anything mk4 4wd chassis based, So TT, S3, R32, A3Q, and 4mo.

Shy: I found with just a rear ARB, the car tended to over steer, which was easily controlled, but it felt odd, because the rear was very stiff, yet the front was free to roll around quite a lot. Felt like the car tended to Tripod itself turning hard, as the front was free to roll over, so lifted up the inside rear.

with the pair it was much nicer, the front doesn't roll now, but the rear is suitably stiff to get a good balance.

Not sure how a strut brace would effect it. In theory it would bring the balance back towards standard a little, but I think they make so little difference you wont notice.

sorry to hijack but on an s3 would it not be a good idea to fit a 23mm neuspeed front bar and a 25mm neuspeed rear bar??? im asking cos i have seen on awsome and quite taken buy them, id prefer to have oversteer than understeer but ideally would like it to be 50/50 if you have better sugestions let me no what makes to go for, many thanks

also can you get uprated drop links to use with the bars???

S3_kev, buy the H&Rs above. They are for sale..as they don't fit a FWD...

S3_kev, buy the H&Rs above. They are for sale..as they don't fit a FWD...
but no one no's what they do fit though dont think ill risk it thanks

part no on the rear bushing is HR33271 any help from the no.?

the seller was a bit dishonest I think since he rubbed down the part no. on the bars. I won the items on ebay and had someone to collect them for me, cash on collection.