Gearbox/clutch issues after big remap

E5 FUL

Reaction score
Got my 140pd remapped to over 200bhp and almost 400lbft torque a couple of months ago. Not gonna lie, have been driving it like a bit of a boy racer since.

Past few days I've noticed that the car will start pulling away when I've barely come up off the clutch, used to have to bring the clutch pedal a lot higher before that would happen. Also every now and then it gets stuck in first gear and it's a bit of a bitch to get it out again. It's a manual.

Any advice would be much appreciated

Cheers

Reactions: lyallr
Got my 140pd remapped to over 200bhp and almost 400lbft torque a couple of months ago. Not gonna lie
ooops too late a 140 won't hit them figures

Dyno

Reactions: Mujnu
Sniff, sniff , what's that smell .

Although some tuners are just chasing numbers and I couldn't believe my eyes when a 1.9 PD made 340 ftlb on a heartbreaker Dyno Dynamics .

The torque spike was horrendous and would quickly kill a standard used clutch .

Reactions: LEE69
If those figures are correct, the clutch won't cope as you have found out. New clutch and winding back the remap a bit is the way forward.

Reactions: S3Alex
60bhp increase on a standard clutch? They should have just ripped the turbo and clutch out while they were mapping lol IIRC the 170hp engine produces approx 210ish after a moderate remap, so a 140 hitting 200 will definitely need stronger components.

It's the torque that will kill the clutch what they standard 236lb/ft ? and he's at cough 400 lb/ft

Last edited:
Reactions: Mujnu
400lb/ft of torque sounds crazy lol and yes you're right the torque slips the clutch, I've never seen those numbers before on a 140 unless stronger turbo, clutch etc was put in

This is where peeps always get confused .

200 bhp is fine , I've 180 bhp on a 1.9 PD myself .

It's the TORQUE you've got to watch .

You're right, sorry worded it wrong. I've got my 1.9 mapped too, not sure the torque mine is pushing but it's got 140bhp now

My old Golf 130 1.9PD was stage 1 custom mapped at 186bhp and 320ft llb by Jabbasport. Had the car 6 years on that map and a few trackdays, was trouble free when I sold it. Best VAG motor I ever had.

Cheers for the replies peeps. Haha yeah I knew it was excessive but was always aiming to add a bigger turbo and new clutch.

Thing is I was expecting was the clutch to slip??? Like it's fine when you put you're foot down in any gear, just literally gets stuck in 1st when not moving.

I guess the next question is what's the best clutch to go for that'll be able to handle the power?

more like 170 with a massive spike to make it feel more, anyway, on Facebook speak to Xmen Turbos, he is sell padel clutches and Flywheels for just this type of car

Cheers for the replies peeps. Haha yeah I knew it was excessive but was always aiming to add a bigger turbo and new clutch.

Thing is I was expecting was the clutch to slip??? Like it's fine when you put you're foot down in any gear, just literally gets stuck in 1st when not moving.

I guess the next question is what's the best clutch to go for that'll be able to handle the power?

I hear the Sachs performance clutch is solid, costs around £600 IIRC.

I hear the Sachs performance clutch is solid, costs around £600 IIRC.

Was just looking at that one actually, nearer the £500 mark too.

How long will the flywheel last? Over a grand for the Sachs clutch and flywheel :( :( :(

Was just looking at that one actually, nearer the £500 mark too.

How long will the flywheel last? Over a grand for the Sachs clutch and flywheel :( :( :(

I'm not too sure, ive read it's always good to change your flywheel when you do your clutch, because a bad flywheel can take a new clutch with it of it ever messes up. I think a standard flywheel can handle that power but I'm not too sure tbh

My PD170 has just been mapped to 205bhp and 320ftlb, seems to suit the car,

Is it actually possible to get a pd140 that high?

It's like Phil said earlier, the dyno curve basically looks like a 170bhp curve with a f**k off big spike at around 2000rpm. Quite enjoyed riding that crazy torque wave even though it lasted around 0.8 seconds and has cost me a new clutch :')

Yikes that's Mount Everest .

Why do tuners even produce such filth .

Give me a table top mountain any day .

Is it stock turbo and injectors ?

Dyno over reading ?

You really need to go to another Dyno Dynamics for a run .

As stock there's a 17 bhp discrepancy , yes sure many a 130 PD are 140 bhp.

But more than 50 ftlb over stock !!!!

Yeah I was surprised by the stock figures too, they just said its normal for it to be like that...?

Annoying thing is I went there to get revo stage 1, they said they didn't have the software that day so they'd do their own map which was 'almost identical' to the revo one. Evidently it's not even close to it...

Think I'll get a new clutch fitted and then get on the dyno again.

Anyone got any further advice about the flywheel??

Should look more like that lol, yours is amazing,

I would say that tuner owes you a clutch

Mine was down due to injection timings if your wondering about my graph

Got my Sachs performance clutch with organic plate and single mass flywheel fitted today. Seems like the car now handles the torque a lottttt better.

Quick question: could changing the clutch and flywheel affect the dyno/torque curve of the car? Been driving it around and a bit and when I put my foot down, it's seems like the power is a lot more equal over the R ev range, whereas before as the curve above shows, it's just a massive peak.