FUELING UP GROAN?

Wes G

Reaction score
Guy`s -done a search but on previous threads there did`nt seem to be an answer as such(maybe there is`nt one?):confused: My 3.2 q is a right Cow to get filled up-it takes ages at the pump as I have to just trickle fuel in to stop it clicking off? Tried all sorts of methods of getting it in but it wont have it? :mad: This really does tick me off as being 3.2 its something I have to do once\twice a week:sadlike: Any tips anyone-love the motor other than this???

Wes G said:
Guy`s -done a search but on previous threads there did`nt seem to be an answer as such(maybe there is`nt one?):confused: My 3.2 q is a right Cow to get filled up-it takes ages at the pump as I have to just trickle fuel in to stop it clicking off? Tried all sorts of methods of getting it in but it wont have it? :mad: This really does tick me off as being 3.2 its something I have to do once\twice a week:sadlike: Any tips anyone-love the motor other than this???
I've had this problem with both my A3s when they were new. I actually said it to the dealer after I bought the first one, and he said it is something to do with the design of the neck, but that once you get used to it, it is easy. He also said that they had quite a few customers coming in with the same problem.

When I got my new A3 in January I had the same problem, even though I had "gotten used to it" on the old one. I've found if you put the nozzle in with the handle at about 7-8 o'clock you should have no trouble with it. I do that and have had no trouble with the new car since.

I must admit, I felt like a bit of a gimp the first couple of times at the pump. It used to take so long the pimple-faced teenager used to keep coming over asking if I was OK.

Will give that a try & see if helps???...Thanx:icon_thumright:

Think yourself lucky,it's only a year or so ago that the fuel flaps were sticking shut,so you couldn't even get to fill up !

;-)

Yea I hate that! Only happened to me couple hours ago. Filling up £10 in my TDI at BP and everytime I pulled the handle it just kept flicking up and stopped pumping. Could only pull it abit so it went in veryyyy slowlyyyy.

Happens all the time :( But i'll try the 7-8 o'clock angle

It can depend on the actual pump used. I've had the problem at a couple of filing stations but have no problem at all at either the two stations I normally use. If I do get a problem I've found that only putting the pump nozzle part way in the filler can help.

Had the same prob with my 3.2.

To solve just put the nozzle 4/5th's of the way in. That'll sort it!:)

Jonesy

I never have this problem, i only go to Shell for the Optimax though so i dunno if pumps vary between stations.

Most of my previous cars(Audi or not) has the same problem at the pump when I put the nozzle fully in. To me, it feels like that if the pump is quite strong the petrol will splash abit in the tank and in return making the nozzle think it's full. Although I don't know the exact science how the gas pump works and prevent overfill, that's the general feeling...

When I pump petrol, I put the nozzle 80 % all the way in and tilt the nose up as much as i can. I can imagine in that case the nozzle is as far as from the splashing petrol and prevent it from stopping pre-meturely. That "might" increase the chance of overfilling, but I believe that if you know your car well, you should know how much your car can hold in the tank. And plus, you can hear from the pumping noise that it's getting full, then you just have to slow down to top it up. :meeting:

Cheers for the advise guys-However I have now tried everything thats been posted and still does it?:confused: Going to give a friend of mine a call @ Norwich Audi (Robinsons) see if he has any ideas? I might use a normal unleaded pump?(normally use v power) I cant see that this would make any difference but will give it a go? Other than that I`ll just put up with it taking a bit longer @ the pumps:3sadwalk: Thanx anyway:icon_thumright: