Fuel consumption

ahtcap

Reaction score
2005 bkd
MPG on the dash show 16%/17% more than it actually is.Ive done numerous tank to tank refills and calculated the actual MPG.
Why is there such a large difference?
I know it can be altered using VCDS but only by 15%

DIS is never accurate unless you adjust it.

Remap or tuning box fitted?
On my last car the tuning box over exaggerated by 9-10mpg over a tank. When I removed it the figures became accurate again.
On the S3 I have found that the OBC is nearly always below the actual MPG on tank to tank calculations.

No tuning box,
Unaware of any remap, and no fault codes,
I just find it unusual that it could be so far out!

Have you tried logging the MPG on "2" over several tanks to see if it evens out. Short term mpg will vary on setting "1" a lot as it averages each trip, i dont know how setting 2 works but if its the same then your last logged trip on each set of tank to tank readings will have a disproportionate effect overall but this will average out the more tank fulls you add to the total
Try averaging your next 4 fill ups without resetting and see if its still 17% out

Have you tried logging the MPG on "2" over several tanks to see if it evens out. Short term mpg will vary on setting "1" a lot as it averages each trip, i dont know how setting 2 works but if its the same then your last logged trip on each set of tank to tank readings will have a disproportionate effect overall but this will average out the more tank fulls you add to the total
Try averaging your next 4 fill ups without resetting and see if its still 17% out
I use a full tank each week and compare it every time(very sad i know)done this since i bought it ( 4 yrs)

Yes but have you let the trip meter run on for 4 tank fulls.
for example if i get in the car a drive 1 mile it says 10mpg, if i drive 50 miles it says 30mpg, the bigger the sample the more accurate it will be.

Reactions: ahtcap
maybe we should all do this and see how far our DIS is out ? I have never checked but i will next time i fill up. What has been very noticeable is that since i went stg2+ my fuel consumption has actually improved by a couple of mpg. I suppose the engine is just running more efficiently.

Mine can be seen in the link on my signature.
I add a note to every fill up stating the OBC readout so i can get an idea of accuracy.

Reactions: ahtcap
I have never bothered to work out the percentage, but noting the OBC readout and comparing it to actual MPG, it's usually within 2 mpg difference every time, so I'm happy with the accuracy (especially as the car thinks I'm doing worse than I actually am).