Fuel Catalyst - Anyone heard of this???

S3 Wannabe

Reaction score
whilst trying to sort out my clutch saga at audi yesterday i got talking to some old guy who runs his own business putting fuels catalysts (tin based) into car tanks. (apparently he was on his way to do this in a DB7)

done a bit of research and found a few things on the net inc this:

http://www.broquet.co.uk/index.htm

he reckons it can raise the ron number of fuel (turning 95 to 98), and burn fuel more efficiently giving more performnace and lower emissions. he quoted me 80 odd quid for my s3.

anyone come across this idea/practice before??????

if it is such a good idea, my question is why aren't manufacturers fitting them in the first place?????

:uhm:

You summed it up in the last sentence. If it worked, they'd be on all cars as standard. Invest your £80 in a tankful of V-Power instead.

yeah no fear there! something didn't quite add when i spoke to him :blahblah1:, and having a degree in chemistry i've been toying with the whole process since then. cannot see how it works tbh!

Just got to look at how professional the website looks....

Just got to look at how professional the website looks....

that website i gave wasn't for the comapny this guy owned, it was just something i found along the same lines.
you're right about tacky tho, as it matched the crappy photocopied leaflet this chap gave me as well!

something's not right! :undwech:

he was trying to sell it to me as a cheaper alternative to my CC remap tomorrow!!:uhm:

CANNOT WAIT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sounds like a pile of untested, unscientific crap.

From the website:

How does it work? Scientists do not fully understand the exact catalytic mechanism that takes place (this is not as surprising as it may seem as there are many catalytic processes that are not fully understood). Accepting however that such a mechanism does take place and quoting from a scientific source the most likely effect of Broquet is as follows:- "Basically, the product of the reaction (as a catalyst for chemical reactions) is a molecular species which has more favourable combustion characteristics than its precursors. The molecular structure has probably been altered in such a way as to permit the sequential oxidative reaction steps, which comprise combustion reactions, to proceed in a more smooth and rapid manner