Fried graphics card??

wibble111

needs to scratch the itch
Reaction score
Evening all, earlier i got an nvidia 6800GT card from work which i put in my tower replacing my pld fx5200, when i switched on again my bios screen and windows had a yellow glow to them. My system is msi mainboard, amd 3200 cpu.
Do you think the card is fried?, oh i'm running windows 7.
Any help/advice appreciated

Cheers, Dave.

e2a, since messing about with the drivers i seem to have lost windows aero thingy!

Could be a bent pin on the VGA/DVI cable, or a dodgy cable. That often causes color distortion.

The question is with computers is what's changed. If the cable is OK, change the card back and test.

If OK with original card, duff card!

EDIT: The OS your running is irrelevant. If the BIOS screen has colour distortion, it's NOT a driver issue. BIOS is well below the OS in system level. Only uses the GFX, CPU and RAM!

Also check for a bios update which adds compatibility for the installed parts, for me looks like duff card, but check cable, connectors, pins on card etc 1st, even look for any jumpers on the graphics card or mobo that may have any effect on the video, also to get aero back do a system rating check again via the Control Panel then System page, it then checks the spec of the installed parts & aero should then come back once its checked the graphics card spec.

Not sure about you guys but I have changed my windows 7 taskbar back to the original one, then new mac style one is crap.

Thanks for the advice all, have now been informed from the shop that the card is working fine and it must be my monitor. My monitor is only a 17" tft about 3 years old.
Just hadn't heard of anything like this before and wondered if any of you guy's has before i go out and buy a new monitor.

Cheers, Dave.

Thanks for the advice all, have now been informed from the shop that the card is working fine and it must be my monitor. My monitor is only a 17" tft about 3 years old.
Just hadn't heard of anything like this before and wondered if any of you guy's has before i go out and buy a new monitor.

Cheers, Dave.

Could be the cable Like I said.

Can't you borrow one, or plug the PC into your LCD TV or something?