Found: 4Gb SD cards for RNSE for £4.99!

Reaction score
I last ordered a 4Gb SD card about 4 years ago just as SDHC was really taking off and I got a pair for £8 each. Since then I've tried ordering more and they were £25-£40!

A few months ago, when updating my music collection, I lost one of those 4Gb cards, so have been looking again and just found some for £4.99 incl delivery!! I've ordered and received one, tested it and it's definitely NOT a SDHC, so it will work in the RNSE. Two more jsut been ordered!

As much as I loath Amazon's tax-doging tactics in the UK, these guys are the only suppliers of the type of 4Gb SD cards in the UK for under £20!

Platinum 177106 Secure Digital 4 GB SD Card: Bestmedia: Amazon.co.uk: Computers & Accessories

I am NOT affiliated with this supplier in any way and I'm not vouching for the quality of the cards, but what they are selling cheap and compatible with the RNSE.

Reactions: tonydata
youre my hero, was about to buy the exact same thing but on ebay at £10 delivered!!

i just had the last one off amazon though so i hope they get some more in soon as i need another :)

just wanted to confirm that these do indeed work and im ordering a second one as soon as ive posted this :)

thanks to op lostbok for the heads up on his find!

I have come across a problem, ordered 2 of these from Amazon, just loaded the first one with 4gb of music, however when I put the card in the unit, it recognises it as a 4gb card (showing as 377Mb) when I go into the folders list it only shows the first 2gb of music????? Cannot select anything from the 2nd half of the card.....

Suggestions?

Might be something to do with its formatting but i dont know anything about stuff like that, sorry

Managed to sort it.....

Downloaded the music direct from my macbook, however when I put the SD card into the OH's Sony Vaio running windows, discovered that there was a bunch of hidden files that Apple had loaded on, as well as adding the photo files for the album covers as well, so for every mp3 file downloaded, I had at least 2 files tagged to it....

The RNS-E will only read 512 files max...

After removing all the hidden files (which I couldn't actually see on my macbook -typical Apple) I can now see all the files/folders....

Is that 512 files per card or across both cards, since you mentioned this ive noticed im missing a few albums off the end of my first card, will have to see how many files are on there and adjust accordingly

From what I understand it will be 512 files on each card as the system is only ever reading one card at a time.......

Bought this card and it works great, thanks mate!! Just have to choose the tunes I want now!! :rockwoot:

guys... the "512 files" comment is a bit misleading... that should read "allocations units" (I actually thought the number was closer to 400)... every folder also uses up an allocation unit.

glad that link is working for people: I've not had any probs with mine and I've had at least one of those in the car for the best part of 6 weeks now :)

hi guys i need a beginers guide to getting music to play on my sd card

i have a 2 gb sd card and a mac where i have all my music on i tunes, i thought it was a simple case of drag and drop but it does not reconise the music on my rns e.

i tried dowloading a mmitunes thing of the net but still no luck and i also tried making a folder on the card called music and dragged the music into that again still no luck?? also does anybody know what is the largest size mp3 cd's to use as i may just burn the music to discs

cheers

Are the files you're putting on the SD card deffinatly mp3?
Is the memory card formatted Fat?

On another note. Ordered one too. I'll pop the old 2gb one in the A6 and the 4gb in my A4.

hi guys i need a beginers guide to getting music to play on my sd card
Stu, sorry, only just following up on some of my older threads: did you get yourself sorted? There is actually an application (written by somebody on ASN!), it only works on winXP (NOT XP mode in win7!) and it's a little bit clunky, but it was great when I was trying to learn how to do this... it also gives you the right formatting for the M3U (playlist files)* and makes sure that the correct ID3 tag version is used. I'll post a little guide shortly....

Just typed this now, so be prepared for updates!

Lostbok-BahnStormer's little "MP3 tips for 2008 or earlier RNS-E's":

General tips:
1) when building an SD card, start small and make sure it's working before you dump 400 songs onto the card.
2) remember that 512Mb was a fairly big SD card when then were designed, so @4Gb, you're hitting it with 8x more data than they expected people to use, so more songs can mean it loads slower when you first start up (see "M3U tips" on how to help this).
3) MP3 files are not all created equal: in particular ID3 tags: I know I've had to go into the properties on some files and remove special characters on the ID3 tags.

M3U tips:
1) I'm happy to check people's M3U files if you're having trouble, or I'll send you some sample ones of mine.
2) speed up loading a little bit by using M3U's (playlists) in the ROOT (not in each subfolder)
3) M3U files have to be the simple format (i.e. NOT the one with ## all over them) just the path and filename on each line.
4) you can spaces in file names and should NOT have quotes!
5) the files should NOT have drive letters and they use relative paths, so load them up in notepad or notepad++ and remove all the "E:\" or whatever your SD drive is set to - just use a search and replace, the first thing on each line should be the name of the folders, separated by "\"'s and then the file name, e.g.: Snow Patrol\Up To Now\CD1\101. Snow Patrol - Chocolate.mp3
6) don't be afraid to create M3U's from scratch: start with an empty txt file, use windows "power toys" SendToX to send the highlighted list of files to the clipboard (settings need to be "new file for each line" and "no quotes"), then just search for the SD drive letter name and replace it with a blank.
7) you can reference the same file in multiple M3U files if you're creating two versions of a playlist (kiddies censored version, etc).

Things that do NOT work:
1) >500 allocation units (songs+each folder+each subfolder+each M3U/other file = total allocation units) - I think it's actually closer to 400, even though something like 512 would make more sense...
2) special characters: accents like "é and in particular apostrophe's are the killer - they will make that MP3 disappear from the playlist list.

Things that DO work:
1) 320kbps
2) variable compression rate (songs that are 320kbps, but change to 64kbps when less detail is required)
3) some slightly "special" characters like spaces, "_", "-", "." within the file names are 100% fine.
4) I THINK these brackets are okay, "()" and "[]", but not "<>" and "{}", but happy to be corrected on this.

Other known bugs:
1) When you turn the ignition off, it will resume on the track where you left off, but the NEXT track will be the first on the card listing.
2) Your display will not say 4Gb or 4000Mb, or 4096Mb, but most likely 373Mb or 381Mb for a variety of reasons, read on if you dare:
a) Boring maths bit:
i) 4Gb is 4,000,000bytes according to media salespeople, but it SHOULD be 4*2^30=4,294,967,296 bytes if you're a computer.
ii) so your 4,000,000byte card is actually 3.7253Gb or 3814.70Mb, those numbers are the same if you're a computer (or me ;) ).
b) the RNS only expects up to 512Mb cards, so only has 3 numerical digits, so it will only show you "373Mb", when it actually means 3.725Gb and wants to say 3725Mb... I have one type of card that shows "373Mb" and another one that shows "381Mb" (3814.70Mb=4,000,000kb)...
3) countless other little things ;)

Last edited: