Fault code reader

thehogester

Reaction score
Any suggestions for a good vag fault code reader? I know VCDS is the best thing since hovis, but i don't have a laptop for the job.

I've got the engine warning light on, and the ESP light keeps coming on...and staying on. I just want something to tell me what needs fixing.

Thanks in advance for any advice guys. I've got a 55 plate 2.0T btw.

Have you tried looking for someone on the VAG COM section to see if anyone is local to you?

That may be of some help.

Have you tried looking for someone on the VAG COM section to see if anyone is local to you?

That may be of some help.

There's a few that are relatively local. How does that work? Do they charge? Or is it a case of buying them a pint for a favour?

If you just want to read, lookup and clear fault codes then have a look at Torque Pro app. Works off mobile phone or tablet and just needs a cheap bluetooth module that plugs into diagnostic port. Very handy. I used it recently to investigate eml light on dash - pointed me straight toward dpf sensor.

There's a few that are relatively local. How does that work? Do they charge? Or is it a case of buying them a pint for a favour?

Well the best way would be to either contact them if they have a number on the vag com map. Or send them a direct pm. Every person is different some will take a small gesture others don't mind helping out a fellow forum member etc. Dont ask, dont get policy :)

I have a vag com but I've so just got an iOBD2 which works with my iPhone and scans everything like the vag com.

The cheaper obd2 adapters can't scan everything. So torque etc doesnt show you all the errors.

The iobd2-vag app does Eveything inc alarm, radio etc.

Generally I find the cheaper obd2 scanners says no faults but then the iobd2-vag app will bring up the intermittant and other errors.

E.g recently my dads a8 was playing up. No errors on dash, obd2 scanner said no faults. Fire up the Vag app and it said two of the glow plugs were fubar.

I'm currently in the same situation, looking for something to read, clear codes.

I want to clear an airbag light and a few other codes, anyone got any links or recomendations?

Nice, please do let me know how that one goes :)

Received the reader last week, tried it at the weekend. I had problems with the cable they sent, it just wouldn't fit the obd port.

So I messaged the seller, and they sent me out another cable to try. Just tried it out and it works great. The unit seems great so far, and the seller was really helpful.

I'll dig into it more at the weekend, and start fixing my codes!

Received the reader last week, tried it at the weekend. I had problems with the cable they sent, it just wouldn't fit the obd port.

So I messaged the seller, and they sent me out another cable to try. Just tried it out and it works great. The unit seems great so far, and the seller was really helpful.

I'll dig into it more at the weekend, and start fixing my codes!

Brilliant! The last unit i had wouldn't even acknowledge my car, so this one has to be better. Thanks