Engine vibration around 70kph

Rolando Graterol

Reaction score
I have an issue with my A3 8P 2.0L engine.
It is vibrating when driving at around 70-90kph at 2000-2800rpm.
New tires, new engine mounts but still vibrates.
As soon as i let go of the gas pedal at 70-80kph vibration stops.
Can anyone help me?
Is it the harmonic Balancer?
My car 180,000 kms on the clock.

Last edited:
Does it stop above 90kph ?
Is it vibrating through the floor or the steering ?

I have an issue with my A3 8P 2.0L engine.
It is vibrating when driving at around 70-90kph at 2000-2800rpm.
New tires, new engine mounts but still vibrates.
As soon as i let go of the gas pedal at 70-80kph vibration stops.
Can anyone help me?
Is it the harmonic Balancer?
My car 180,000 kms on the clock.

Is it Quattro ?

Does it stop above 90kph ?
Is it vibrating through the floor or the steering ?
It is vibrating through the floor, not the steering. And my car is not quattro.
Thanks for responding so quick.
It does the vibration definately at 5th and 6th gear, possibly at 4th.

The vibration does come from the engine area of the car and it does changes frequency when i shift from 6th to 5th gear.( stronger at 6th gear and smoother vibration at 5th.
Plus the Vibration stops completely as soon as I let go of the gas pedal.
After I changed the engine mounts and torque mount, the frequency of the vibration changed.
Vibration gets stronger if you are in 6th gear at 2000-2300k rpm gaining speed slowly from 70kph to 80kph.
It is definately not coming from tyres because they are brand new.

I thought it could be the crankshaft harmonic balancer, but can anyone tell me if a bad one would make the engine vibrate at any gear or speed and even in Park or Neutral???

Last edited:
Are the engine mounts torqued to spec?
What mounts did you fix, stock or aftermarket?
What tyres have been fitted and have you re-checked the balancing?
Could it be wheel bearings?
Possibly the dual mass flywheel is failing if the vibration happens under load?

The engine mounts are aftermarket. They are torqued to spec.
The Tyres are the same size as stock. 225/45r17 94W. Tyre balancing is not the problem. I had to balance tyres several times before and the vibration is completely different. I wish it was balancing. The steering wheel does not vibrate.
There is no noise coming from the wheel bearings.
My Audi is automatic Transmission, so would still have a Dual mass flywheel??
My engine is the 2.0L without turbo (the BVY engine, to be more specific)

Reactions: samuelh_888
Are the engine mounts torqued to spec?
What mounts did you fix, stock or aftermarket?
What tyres have been fitted and have you re-checked the balancing?
Could it be wheel bearings?
Possibly the dual mass flywheel is failing if the vibration happens under load?

Just went out and checked the vibration again. It is getting worst.
Today gaining speed from 55kph to 65kph the vibration was more like a wooble than anything else.
And then I can keep feeling the vibration from 70kph all the way to 100kph. I could not go any faster, because in Sydney it is insane and the top speed in the motorway aka freeway are only 80kph.
Could some tell me if the harmonic balancer only works under load (gaining speed)????
I cant find enough information about the Harmonic Balancer (HB), I know what it does, but I dont know when it actually this engine vibrations happen on a brand new engine and when does the HB kick into work? under load??? on nuetral?
Thanks everyone. looking forward to your replies.

The harmonic balancer works all the time, not just under load.

Out of interest, what alloys are you running? If they are aftermarket, do they have a 57mm hub?

The harmonic balancer works all the time, not just under load.

Out of interest, what alloys are you running? If they are aftermarket, do they have a 57mm hub?
Original wheels.
SmartSelect 20190715 180843 Gallery

If it changes with engine speed ie RPM not road speed its going to be clutch/engine side of gearbox.

He means:

If you rev the engine while stationary and can feel the vibration it’s an issue with the engine.

If it is coupled with change in road speed it’s gearbox/drivetrain related.

At least that’s what I think @paddy means.

Reactions: paddy
Since the vibration is turning little by little into a wooble. My CV axle inner joints seem to be the problem. There is play in the inner CV joints and clicking sounds.

Any of you had this wooble before? It is a very annoying vibration/wooble that could start anywhere from 60kph and all the way into 100kph.

I want to get fixed soon.

I had a problem with inner CV joint on my A3. It was manifested as vibration like rumble strip noise when turning to the right at speed >40km/h. Buy Meyle joint if you can find, I had a problem with SKF.

Thanks. Yes that noise you describe is pretty comment when the rubber boot pf the Triope or outer CV joint rips.

My wooble must be coming from the inner axle joints. I just did not know that could cause a wooble/vibration while driving.

Eceryone kept saying it was wheel balance, but wheel balance is pretty easy to detect.

I will change the inner axle joints if possible. I dont know if they come separate.
I am in Australia.
What brand would anyone recommend?

Yes, you can buy them separately but check the axle first. You can buy inner joint separately but you can not find a new axle without joints. I can recommend Meyle if you can find it in Australia.