engine shut off and wont start

karl210

Reaction score
Hi, my mates a4 wont start, he drove it about 1 mile round the corner and the engine just shut off and wont start back up. When he gave up and took the key out of the ignition the fans came on, they go back off then you turn the ignition on.
When attempting to start after a few seconds the oil pressure warning light comes on but i suspect thats just due to low rpm while its cranking?
I did a vag com scan and it came back with glow plugs and glow plug module.
Any ideas? Thanks

Its a 2.0tdi. Opened the ecu box up to find all the relays sitting in water, removed them, dried everything out and cleaned contacts and still no joy, glow plugs have power and fuel pump was priming yet no luck, it started to fire up on easy start so seems fuel injection related, not sure if they have a relay or fingers crossed it hasnt fried the ecu

new relays

glow plug relay is working, not sure if the fuel pump relay is but i shorted it out anyway to stay on and still no luck, we will be putting new relays back in as they are corroded but they arent the problem

did you open the ECU ?

no, i did unscrew the screws but it seemed stuck together and wouldnt prise open, didnt want to try any harder as i was scared of breaking something or opening something i shouldnt do

when the ecu box gets water in there it normal shuts the car down after time
id get the ecu open and check in there.

iv had wet relays in the past that see to dry out and work but just don't and on replacing them car has fired up
but defo get in the ecu