Driver has crashed into me and driven off. Need some advice

scoss

Reaction score
Got back to my car in the Tesco Car park to find someone has gone into the back of me and driven off. Luckily I saw a note from a witness who took the reg of the car.

What are my next steps? Call my insurance? A 101 call?

I have the witness name and number too.

Thanks

Best port of call would be to report to the police and your insurance, hopefully the witness will be happy to give their account and it should then hopefully all be sorted.

Reactions: S32B and Audi Bairn
I would speak to Tesco ASAP. They probably have cameras. Camera never lies. See if you can record the footage on your phone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you have a witness who's willing to say they saw it happen, etc and have the reg then that's a good start. Report the accident to the police as the person has failed to provide details at the scene and then ask Tesco if they have CCTV footage of it. See if the police are able to give the policy holder a visit to start the process of claiming via their insurance and if they admit to causing the accident. However, you can also get onto askmid and pay a small fee to get access to the drivers insurance details and start the process yourself.

I had someone hit my parked car once and luckily I had a witness too but they managed to get the guy's mobile number. I managed to get hold of the guy but he refused to give me insurance details so I just went through askmid and did it myself.

What's the damage like?

I would speak to Tesco ASAP. They probably have cameras. Camera never lies. See if you can record the footage on your phone.

Yeah they don’t have CCTV. I was on the phone in the coffee shop and a ex policeman over heard my call. Just been talking to him about next steps. Take photos, call 111 get ref number then notify insurance.

I always park right at the back of the car park too to avoid such idiots! Gutted!

AskMID costs £4 / per enquiry. Go get the scumbag !

Reactions: Audi Bairn
http://askmid.com/

It's basically an online web portal for the motor insurance database, the central record of all insured UK vehicles. You can for free check the insurance status of vehicles online. For a £4.00 fee, you can request a one-off search to get insurance details of another driver in relation to an incident.

Reactions: xpoweruk, scoss, Tom.H and 4 others

It's basically an online web portal for the motor insurance database, the central record of all insured UK vehicles. You can for free check the insurance status of vehicles online. For a £4.00 fee, you can request a one-off search to get insurance details of another driver in relation to an incident.

Very handy, thanks!

You can check if a car is insured for free if you type in check car tax online , select gov.uk put the registration in and make of car and it will tell you if its insured.Good luck

You can check if a car is insured for free if you type in check car tax online , select gov.uk put the registration in and make of car and it will tell you if its insured.Good luck

That only tells you the vehicle details as well as if it's taxed and MOT'd, AskMid is the one you want for insurance, either the free check just for a yes or no or the paid one for more details.

Well this has been a right ball ache. Called 101 they said it will take 2-4 days to follow this up. I spoke to my witness who’s also given a description of the young woman who crashed into me. This witness also spoke to the driver who admitted driving into my parked car. Admiral said regardless of reg and witness they need the name of the driver in order to process my claim on the their insurance. At present I don’t have the name of this young woman who drove off. I’m hoping the police can get this sorted for me. This whole process of talking to police, admiral, enterprise hire car, and the witness took the best part of 2 hours to sort out today!

Well this has been a right ball ache. Called 101 they said it will take 2-4 days to follow this up. I spoke to my witness who’s also given a description of the young woman who crashed into me. This witness also spoke to the driver who admitted driving into my parked car. Admiral said regardless of reg and witness they need the name of the driver in order to process my claim on the their insurance. At present I don’t have the name of this young woman who drove off. I’m hoping the police can get this sorted for me. This whole process of talking to police, admiral, enterprise hire car, and the witness took the best part of 2 hours to sort out today!

Did you try the suggestion of the website to obtain driver details? Then you could just pass that in to your insurance to kick off process with their insurance

Did you try the suggestion of the website to obtain driver details? Then you could just pass that in to your insurance to kick off process with their insurance

Not yet, I’ve not had time since. I’m waiting for the police to get back to me. They will be following this up with the person the car is registered/insured with. Also say if I get a name from this site. This does not prove that they were driving the car at the time.

I’ve just used that site. It didn’t provide me with her name. Just told me that the cars insured.

Does the £4 option provide the name of the driver linked with the car?

Not yet, I’ve not had time since. I’m waiting for the police to get back to me. They will be following this up with the person the car is registered/insured with. Also say if I get a name from this site. This does not prove that they were driving the car at the time.

That wouldn’t matter as surely it would be insured driver/owner anyway. Hope you get this sorted, nightmare

I thought insurance companies shared information? Surely if they have the reg they can get a name and contact details!!!

Hope you get it sorted and I hope the police do the woman for leaving the scene of an accident ;)

Leaving the scene of an accident without providing insurance details is a criminal offence. The driver could be in for a load of grief if a decision is made to prosecute them.

Reactions: NevMan, KenL and S32B
I'd be pushing for them to be prosecuted.

Reactions: Tom.H and NevMan
Unfortunately the police won't give a fig about it I know having been there, got reg of driver that drove off, gone to police only for nowt to happen. Civil matter as almost always ...

TX.

Sent from my BBB100-2 using Tapatalk

Askmid won't give you the name of the insured even for £4 but the Third Party insurers have a duty to contact their insured and advise that they have had an alleged claim come in and request their version of events.

Your insurers will do this automatically if you go through them as they have access to the Motor Insurance Database - The police should do it as well as it's been reported she drove off but that can take a while if they are really stretched or bothered

Reactions: Jbond312
Unfortunately the police won't give a fig about it I know having been there, got reg of driver that drove off, gone to police only for nowt to happen. Civil matter as almost always ...

TX.

Sent from my BBB100-2 using Tapatalk
Driving away from the scene of an accident is not a civil matter, it is a criminal offence under section 170 of the Road Traffic Act. Failing to stop and provide your details at the scene or within 24 hours at a Police station is a serious offence, depending on the circumstances punishments are potentially..........

• A fine of up to £5,000
• 5 – 10 penalty points
• A driving ban
• A prison sentence of up to 6 months

Does that atilp apply when the accident has happened on private property?

From memory that's what Tesco etc car parks are classed as.

In reality, to prosecute for the leaving the scene the police need to prove the woman knew she had collided with the parked car and then decided to drive away. Im in no way defending what she did but it isn't the crime of the century and police just dont have the resource to follow it on. If it got to court she could easily claim I had the music turned up so didnt here anything, and I thought id hit a pot hole if the car lurched when the impact happened. It would be her word against the witness.

The best results is a full claim off her insurance without OP NCD being effected.

Reactions: Tom.H and NevMan
Does that atilp apply when the accident has happened on private property?

From memory that's what Tesco etc car parks are classed as.

The policeman I spoke to in the Tesco coffee sup said that Tesco Car park was a public car park due to it being free parking all day.

The policeman I spoke to in the Tesco coffee sup said that Tesco Car park was a public car park due to it being free parking all day.

Ah ok, I know the one near us has signs up advising you're only allowed to park free for 2 or 3 hours (can't remember which) they have ANPR cameras as you go in and out.

Update:

Since the accident I had noticed a high pitch sound coming from the car. Sounded like the exhaust. Anyway I thought perhaps the crash caused more damage then just paint.

I’ve had the car looked at and it’s in fact due to a wheel bearing on the front. Now the question is, could the impact of the car hitting my right rear corner of put the bearing “out” or affected it in some way? I’m thinking would the force of the impact from the other car be able to travel through to the front?

I’ve had two garages tell me no it’s just a coincidence. But then again it’s in their own interest to say this as they want my custom. If they’d of said yes it’s def due to the accident then they should know that I’m going tell my insurance company and then they would have their own list of recommended garages where I’d get the work done. Or am I being too cynical?

The wheel bearing would take more impact hitting a pot hole, a little bumper to bumper is not going to damage a wheel bearing.

Reactions: Tom.H