Door lock open with key

patchoulian

Reaction score
Just noticed (when I took the battery out to charge) that the driver's door lock won't lock/unlock with the key. The key turns quarter clock- and anticlockwise, but doesn't seem to do anything, and feels rubbery. I've tired a squirt of lithium grease but still the same.

Central locking etc works fine. Any suggestions please?

Cheers, Rob (2007 S3)

Just noticed (when I took the battery out to charge) that the driver's door lock won't lock/unlock with the key. The key turns quarter clock- and anticlockwise, but doesn't seem to do anything, and feels rubbery. I've tired a squirt of lithium grease but still the same.

Cheers, Rob (2007 S3)

Hi sorry I meant to post this the other day. It’s more common than you’d think odds are someone’s had the door lock out in the past and hasn’t aligned the plastic blade from the barrel which goes to the door lock properly or at all. Pop the door trims off and you should see a black panel by the lock. Once that’s out of the way you should be able to see what’s going on

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: abmat
I had the same problem with one off my keys and i found if i turn key upside down it worked and i think it was due to key not be used so much ie spare key , now i use it all the time and hope come time it wears as much as the other key

I had the same problem with one off my keys and i found if i turn key upside down it worked and i think it was due to key not be used so much ie spare key , now i use it all the time and hope come time it wears as much as the other key

just take a photo of the working key and save it for an emergency, use the immobiliser.

you only need to use the key once in a millennium

Cheers, Rob (2007 S3)

Thanks everyone - there's no key operated boot lock, it's occurred to me that I'd need the lock to work if the battery's flat (nearly happened as I'm not using the car so much during lockdown), tried both keys from all angles. Which leaves the door card and uncovering the actuator - thanks troubs, I'll give that go.

Thanks everyone - there's no key operated boot lock, it's occurred to me that I'd need the lock to work if the battery's flat (nearly happened as I'm not using the car so much during lockdown), tried both keys from all angles. Which leaves the door card and uncovering the actuator - thanks troubs, I'll give that go.

No worries bud I’m at work at the mo but I’ve just done a google image search to try and show you where the blade needs to go:

628fa2ea318142da2205551859b2b6b0.jpg

It’s difficult to show you in that pic but I’m 99% sure that it’s not connected. In order to put it back in you’ll need an M8 socket to remove or drop the lock down amd give you some wiggle room.

Need any help or advice bud just hit me up

No worries bud I’m at work at the mo but I’ve just done a google image search to try and show you where the blade needs to go:

628fa2ea318142da2205551859b2b6b0.jpg

It’s difficult to show you in that pic but I’m 99% sure that it’s not connected. In order to put it back in you’ll need an M8 socket to remove or drop the lock down amd give you some wiggle room.

Need any help or advice bud just hit me up

Got exactly the same issue here (key turning in lock doing nothing).

In this pic Troubs, how do you get access to that? Does it correspond to any of the parts in these photos? Cheers