Do u even lift ?

Chop.

Reaction score
Hey folks anyone on here train ?

Bodybuild, powerlift, strength ?

Sorry no crossfitters

I do for aesthetic reasons, don't plan on becoming a fat ugly powerlifter though haha been to a powerlifting gym in London (Genesis); the owner and people at the gym had disgusting physiques but that's not why they go, presumably their diet consisted of more dbol than a young Arnie and more fast food than someone clinically obese.

Yeh I'm more for bit of bodybuilding done some strength stuff too over the years, you've got to hand it to these boys though some strong people out there

Strong people but far from my goals haha (not that I really set goals, just want to please myself and attract sexy ladies)

How's your diet/supplementation and which gym are you at.

Haha curls for the girls

Usual stuff for me, try to eat 6 times a day, protein at least once a day and after gym and zmas at nite, diet not as clean as I would like but i like my food !

Use a local gym under the British legion in my town quite small but plenty weight

You ?

Had any crazy dreams to report yet on ZMA

My diet's relatively clean and I'm not currently supplementing much; fish oil, multivitamins, some new natty test booster which is probably a load of rubbish and occasionally protein. When on cycle I generally do the same but go for double or more of most stuff I was previously supplementing and a tad more food. I'm at Foundry in Walsall, relatively new (well refurbished) gym which I presume was originally intended to be a kickboxing gym although it's mostly bodybuilders.

olympic lifting and a bit of powerlifting. Currently following (sort of) the conjugate method.
I incorporate crossfit workouts on my power and speed days to keep me conditioned.
Because when i used to just train for the hell of it, staring into a mirror aimlessly curling and pressing, it would **** me off when i realised my fitness and overall conditioning was crap. Thats when i got into crossfit, i ******* love it.

Reactions: JudderMan
It's always been about the weight for me, still struggle in my head to drop weight and add reps, was a 3 sets 4-6 man for a long time

Well 4 stone ago really

U still manage to keep the weight heavy in your powerlifting etc when your doing higher rep stuff ?

U still manage to keep the weight heavy in your powerlifting etc when your doing higher rep stuff ?
You mean does the high rep stuff and crossfit workouts affect my overall strength?
Or do i use heavy weights in the high rep stuff?

For the former i dont know. Im constantly going up, ive not hit a wall yet. I go for a 1RM twice a week, one upper and one lower body and i dont think i've not made a PB many times. I've also lost a bit of weight and that hasnt affected my numbers at all which makes me all the more pleased with myself.
The way i see it is if a crossfit athlete can for example, row 1:30/500m splits consistently whilst still being able to hit 150kg+ snatches, then i dont see that type of training affecting much in the way of strength.

I limit myself to 3 reps when doing heavy training, then as weight climbs il drop to 2, before getting close to my PB il drop to 1.
And then i work on a 3 rep rule where i have to repeat a weight for 3 singles before going up, if i dont get 3 i wont try and go up and potentially beat a record.

I keep weight relatively heavy when i do technique drills for the clean, jerk and snatch. Il do 'on the minute' training for those. So perhaps 3 hang power cleans every minute for 5 minutes @80kg or so. Purely to work on speed under the bar, and to drill in that repetitive technique.

For the higher rep stuff il drop the weights considerably. Like today, i did 5 rounds for time of: 5 hang power snatch 30kg, and over the bar burpees 10 reps. That was my cardio today if you will. Prior to that i worked on strict overhead presses in clean and snatch grip because its my weakness. My jerk sucks compared to my clean.

I pull alot of my training inspiration from olympic athletes. They use alot of % based training and drills and actually very rarely go 100% till competitions.

Reactions: Chop.
Nice sounds like u train hard mate

Sorry Yeh ment the first point, iv only recently changed to higher reps this year 10-12 and it killed my bench and Deads etc, to be expected but was hard not loading the bar to the max when you know u can lift much more

But have to say I'm enjoying the change of pace and getting a better shape than iv had for a while

I dont doubt that if you took a competetive power lifter or even olympic lifter and they started doing high rep circuit type stuff, they'd lose strength. Their goal is to be the best in their respective fields so fair play to them.

For me personally i want to strike a nice balance. I used to be a keen mountainbiker you see and i remember going on a ride for the first time in a while i was shocked at how unfit i was, not that i wanted to be a cross country racer or anything, i hate cross country, but i though because i was relatively strong, id be fit. Wrong.

As i say im more orientated toward oly lifting so my bench SUCKS big time. I refuse to train bench alone which i am most of the time in the gym, so it gets neglected compared to everythiing else. Probably why my jerks are weak. Used to be quite good back when i was doing 'bodybuilder' type training.

Reactions: Chop.
Deff mate each to there own everyone trains to what suits them best

Haha I hear you there like, strong and fit don't go hand in hand, you got something heavy I'll pick it up just don't ask me to take it far

Always been more bodybuilding for me bench, Deads, squats, military Part of the Monday nite bench crew

Reactions: superkarl
Steel up steel down buddy it's the only way

Reactions: superkarl
8c49edd6e0388be0cee31f05f5b6ebe1e3313dc85474410492e6b71d16f91cb1.jpg

Reactions: sliced and Chop.
I used to, got a tfcc tear and haven't lifted in over 6 months.

I'm just starting- I'm 31 so thought it was time to start looking after myself. Train 3 times a week, one day a week is with a mate who was at competition level which on one hand is great as he is full of advice and shows proper technique etc but on the other hand he expects 100% so the next day I can hardly move!
As I'm new to it I'm progressing quite quickly but I struggle with the diet/eating clean.
Where do you guys stand on supplements? My mate competed but didn't do any protein shakes etc and still doesn't and he is a solid lad who still holds some records from the early 90's so maybe he has a point?

The thing with supplements is they're exactly what they say on the tin, if you do not or can not receive the amount of something your body requires to develop their is a reason to supplement it. Theirs irony in older bodybuilders (like Arnold) putting their name to things like protein powders when they clearly did not exsist in the days when they competed and have absolutely no relavence to their phisique.

... but yeah theirs allot of rubbish out their and some things that actually work.

So the better the diet the less reliant you should be to supplements? I suppose everyone is different, I know lads who have fast metabolism resulting in being very lean and struggle to put on weight for bulking up etc. so a protein shake or 2 will genuinely do some good

Apart from being a a quick or easy way to get some protein into you sups deff overrated

Training hard and eating right is most important

Big boys back in the day be putting there name to dbol if it was legal

Everyone is different so Yeh stuff helps for hard gainers but at same time they could just eat more

U need to do what's best for you at end of day and it all depends how serious u want to be your mate will know the score

Personally I train every other day, have a protein shake now and then but just try to stick with eating every 3-4 hours and I'm not too strick with what I eat

I'm a keen gym goer.
In everyday if I can, that's mainly for health reasons. Do a lot of cardio as I suffer from cystic fibrosis.
still love to hit the weights too though, have a friend who competes in strongman so use to train with him, all be it with lot less weight lol.
Tried all kind of supplements in the past. Now I just try and stick to BCAA's , have a protein shake if I train hard or not finding the time to eat much.
Go to body power every year at the NEC, highly recommend to anyone if they haven't been already

Reactions: voorhees
supplements arent just about getting big. They enhance recovery, prob the most important thing about them IMO. You recover more/faster, can then train harder/more frequent, and therefore, get where you want to be

4 times a week for pure aesthetics, push/pull style programs, been at it a while and starting to see results now after sorting my diet out,

Big time believer in IIFYM If you don't know about it your missing out..
Also tren hard :icon thumright:

Yeah good idea. Any exercise that's body weight is already good so adding weight only makes it more beneficial

Reactions: mdm83
ive trained pretty hard over Christmas with a mate who was over from OZ, he's a kinda classic bodybuilder type trainer. So we worked out with completely contrasting styles/methods and the results were epic workouts.

our first session together we did The Iron Triathlon (just youtube it). He puked, i was close.

i also set a new PB squat clean of 115kg, a massive 7.5kg improvement.
pulled a few solid deadlifts at 190kg, not a PB but still happy as not gone close to my max in a while.
Sadly i ripped 2 caluses on my left hand while snatching si couldn't find my max, still at 50kg with that but im hammering technique down.
my mate whos a but of a beast also had me benching 130kg, i had no idea i could get close to that (i don't really bench at all) but im not sure just how much he was spotting me lol, so Il take 120. He was comfortably moving 150kg for singles, and he's only 1kg heavier bodyweight.
im currently 82.5kg ish.

happy lifting everyone and hope you've got some good targets for 2015 whatever they may be.