Do I need to replace my brake carrier bolts?

blueleggy

A4 B8.5 SE Technik Quattro
Reaction score
Hi, looking to change the front discs on my 2013 A4 B8.5 quattro (1LT, 314mm).

I'm guessing I'll have to remove the brake carrier to do that? The trusty Haynes manual and other sources say that the carrier bolts (the 21mm bolts that have to be torqued to a wapping 196nm) should be replaced each time.

I have searched the Internet for replacement bolts but haven't found any for sale which implies to me that most people simply reuse the existing ones.

Any advice on what to do, or where to get the bolts or part numbers would be appreciated.

Graham

I appreciate that various VAG online sources suggest a whopping 196NM for the carrier bolts and I am sure that some purists will insist that they should be renewed when fitting new callipers. My Audi A3 Haynes manual talks about 125NM and when I changed my original VAG discs they were nowhere near 196NM. Most manufacturers are somewhere around 100 Nm with some locktite type stuff used. I don't know anybody who routinely replaces these bolts - I did not do so myself.

Reactions: blueleggy
Many thanks Retroman for your reassuring reply.

I've replaced the discs and pads, lubricating the slider pins etc. All went remarkably smoothly, the only oops being that I put the first wheel on then realised I hadn't refitted the anti-squeal(?) wire clip.

I reused the bolts and applied blue Loctite 248. I don't think it is suited to high temperature environments so may not be ideal but couldn't find anything else. I've torqued them up so not expecting any problems.

I've been disappointed too many times with main dealer brake services leading to early replacement due to uneven pad wear. Will have to see in a few years time if all the effort I put into doing the job properly pays off.

Thanks
Graham