Disaster engine died

dougal

Reaction score
driving my 2001 a3 8l 1.8t aum. car dies.
aa towed car home advise that cam belt teeth worn and cam isn't turning. possibly need new engine.
I noticed that coolant was leaking under car as coolant level had dropped, engine had occasionally misfire.
when aa man turned key the timing belt wasn't turning, doesn't appear to be broke.
the bottom pulleys do move.
any advise would be welcome, possibley going need new engine or new car!

Hi,
I’m sure some of the big guns will give you advice on here in short time but if I was you I would see if all the timing marks can be lined up as your first port of call...

Reactions: dougal
Check the timing marks but if the bottom is turning and not the top, it sounds like the timing has drifted and valves have hit the pistons. I wonder if the belt tensioner has failed and the belts slipped. When did it last have a cam belt change?

timing belt was done at 40,000 miles ago. thanks for your post just spoke to garage they said exactly same it will be expensive to strip engine and diagnose damage. let alone repair it. option is to just fit new engine or have get new car.

To strip the engine won't be to expansive it will be what they find could be costly. There is plenty of breakers out there if ur looking one and then just refresh it so not to happen again. What ever you decide good luck.

Do a bit of DIY investigation as you'll want to know what's going on prior to repairing (to avoid a repeat performance), but if the engine is ******** then the cheapest bet will be to pick up a used one to drop in its place.

You've not mentioned whether the engine is standard, but if so they're dirt cheap. If not, there'll be a few options but probably worth investigating the cause before spending much anyway.

Do a bit of DIY investigation as you'll want to know what's going on prior to repairing (to avoid a repeat performance), but if the engine is ******** then the cheapest bet will be to pick up a used one to drop in its place.

You've not mentioned whether the engine is standard, but if so they're dirt cheap. If not, there'll be a few options but probably worth investigating the cause before spending much anyway.

The car is completely standard even the wheels.
My question is I've had car 12 years only replaced tyres. Battery and exhaust, wheel bearing and serviced every year. Been good. Last month had pay £300 for drive shaft.Now I guess shocks/ suspension track arm will need doing as there original. Is it time say goodbye?

Might as well. It'll cost 500 quid to slap a second hand engine in the car. You can buy another a3 for that

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Just update I took off timming belt and top crank can be turned with spanner. Wondering if it's not as damaged as first fault

Doesn't mean that valves haven't impacted the pistons and bent dude... if the belt slips more than a tooth then valve to piston contact is pretty inevitable...

<tuffty/>

If its a tidy car I'd drop another engine in as they're cheap as chips nowadays,

Can't be many A3 around that's had same owner for last 12 years, it's always gonna be cheaper to fix it than buy another car!

Are you not able to swap the engine yourself? They're a doddle to swap over if you're handy with the spanners?

If its a tidy car I'd drop another engine in as they're cheap as chips nowadays,

Can't be many A3 around that's had same owner for last 12 years, it's always gonna be cheaper to fix it than buy another car!

Are you not able to swap the engine yourself? They're a doddle to swap over if you're handy with the spanners?

A bit late but has the water pump seized? I have seen it a few times, the water leaks out and runs down the drivers chassis leg, thats usually the bearing failing.

Was the water pump done at the same time as the timing belt kit?

The impeller on my wifes 8L had all but fell off and started leaking thats when i caught it in time before anything major happened.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

A bit late but has the water pump seized? I have seen it a few times, the water leaks out and runs down the drivers chassis leg, thats usually the bearing failing.

Was the water pump done at the same time as the timing belt kit?

The impeller on my wifes 8L had all but fell off and started leaking thats when i caught it in time before anything major happened.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

From what I've been told was pully to water pump failed. Timing belt slips couple teeth and game over. Engine failure. Was gutted as had car 12 years just going sell car as spares as body is good and all standard. Recently spent £300 on drive shaft and service.