Dipstick Guide and Surround

baynesey

well you better unsell them, sharpish!
Reaction score
olla,

Serviced the car over the weekend, everythng went as smooth as can be (never happens) anyway, one last oil level check before finishing up and I managed to shatter the top of the Dip Stick Guide (Orange Tube runs down into the Engine) and the top sleeve of the dipstick itself :banghead:

I have found this on Ebay I asked the seller a question whether it would fit my car but had no response

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/VW-AUDI-LONG-...arts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM?hash=item414a2f99c2

Can anyone help or provide a correct link for me?

Thanks

Chris

Is your engine an ALT or AWA?

Why not just go to your dealer, I'm sure these are only about a fiver.

BUB

I had the same happen to me. Luckily mine never shattered that badly and I still use mine. But all the splines around the dipstick have shattered. Must be a bad design. The oil must attack the plastic and make it brittle.

Is your engine an ALT or AWA?

Why not just go to your dealer, I'm sure these are only about a fiver.

BUB

my experience with dealers is that they tend to price parts up at stupid rates, sourcing parts from ebay is usually cheaper and easier, I will give Audi a call this afternoon and see what they say

cheers

Last edited:
how did you get it in the engine?? my friend said the dipstick in an audi is behind the steering wheel somewhere.

my experience with dealers is that they tend to price parts up at stupid rates, sourcing parts from ebay is usually cheaper and easier, I will give Audi a call this afternoon and see what they say

cheers

That's a shame. I find the complete opposite!

We are talking about a plastic dipstick tube here though and you've already had to ask us 'experts' if the one the Ebay emporium (who hasn't answered your question) will fit.

PM me your engine code and I'll give you the part number.

BUB

We are talking about a plastic dipstick tube here though and you've already had to ask us 'experts' if the one the Ebay emporium (who hasn't answered your question) will fit.

BUB

Thanks Bubbagump,

Will do

If I'm right the tube is £3.20 and the dipstick £5.29 :thumbsup:

Right, Eventually sourced the parts .. pick them up tomorrow, came in to less than £10, is there a "how to" regarding replacing them???

Thanks

Why is nothing simple? how ****ing annoying LOL

I eventually get round to ordering the parts and decided to change the oil and filter at the same time, so managed to eventually get the old guide off (with the aid of long nose pliers and a wire coat hanger) ...

IMG_0153.jpg

fit new guide and dipstick but it's sitting far too high (but fits snug over holding bracket) dipstick not registering any oil either ...

IMG_0154.jpg

so I call Audi back to confirm part numbers against chassis number .. surprise surprise "sorry sir we have given you the wrong part ... the correct one has been ordered and will here Monday!"

So now the A4 will like this til then LOL

IMG_0155.jpg

it's only a £3.14 part
emoticon-0183-swear.gif

BUB
i deal with a couple of dealers and they do vary but in general there ok
price wise as with a lot of things a lot of OEM stuff is the same and can be cheaper and you also know its going to fit

this dipstick tube problem has been an issue for years ive had it happen on old passats ,golfs and i had 2 audi 80s 20yrs ago this happened on
its no biggy just annoying
its not just V.A.G cars mind you a lot of plastic stuff on all makes gets destroyed with heat etc over the years .

hi guys,

sorry to resurect this post but it helped me and i have a little to add to it. i got my replacement guide from the dealer for £6.00 so i was happy with that, unfortunatley my old one had snapped off at the bottom where it joins the metal pipe. i managed to fishe the inner tube out using long pliers and a coat hanger but getting the outer pipe off was a pain in the back side, well untill i had a brain wave. i beasured the metel pipe and it was 20mm so i got myself a peice of 22mm copper pipe popped it over and gave a little tap. it split the old guide and then stuck to the copper and came out when i lifted it out. i could not beleive it. i must have messed about for hours and then come up with this. hopefully it will help someone in the future.

thanks guys!

If it ever saves anyone any hassle running back and forth to dealers etc I have ETKA on my laptop so with a model, year and engine code i should easliy be able to get the part number which makes life a lot easier when calling dealer.
I always thought there were only two guides used the long more modern ones and the short older ones.???

sorry about that, its been a while since i last used it. there used to be an option to switch from ru to eng but its gone ???

try this

Google Translate

i just had a go with that for my a4 and it was fine.

cheers have fun!