Detailing

Andy F

S3 quattro Too Darn Soulful ! Get you some a that!
Reaction score
Hi guys
Can you over pollish your car

Yes. Presuming you mean polishing by machine? Polishing is removing clear coat. You only have so much clear coat on a car. If you burn through the clear coat you need to respray the panel.

Hi Doc No I mean by hand ,a sales person in my motorcare store said to me in general chat I'm waxing once a week.
Andy F
20160814 110257

Unless you've got arms like Popeye I wouldn't worry about it then :p

Probably should clarify the difference between polishes, glazes and waxes though.

A polish contains abrasives, and like sanding, is the process of removing very small amounts of clear coat to remove defects. I guess its possible to use these polished by hand to remove clear coat, but I don't see how you can generate the heat to do it effectively like a machine...especially on very tough clear coat.

Things like AutoGlym Super Resin Polish are actually glazes, despite the name. They dont contain much, if any, abrasives and rather than remove defects, they 'fill in' defects. Easier, but not permanent solution.

Waxes/sealants are just layers of protection. Contain some filling properties like glazes, but mostly there just to provide a sacrificial layer of protection.

Apologies if I'm teaching you to suck eggs...!

Reactions: Ruhel
Don't worrie Doc I'm no expert . I Mags clayed and ultimate compounded by hand for fine swirls last week ,
Then 3 coats off Mags Mirror glaze 16 Fri Sat Sun pic the result,do I need to seal
Andy F

Reactions: DrEskimo
Don't worrie Doc I'm no expert . I Mags clayed and ultimate compounded by hand for fine swirls last week ,
Then 3 coats off Mags Mirror glaze 16 Fri Sat Sun pic the result,do I need to seal
Andy F

Nope the 3 coats of Mirror Glaze is more than enough.

Interested to hear how you found compounding by hand though. Arms must of killed!? Did you get the results you were after?

Megs UC by hand is tough going. Hats off for even trying.

Try adding a Wax or Sealant after the glaze. The glaze will give you some protection but not as much as a wax or sealant. I'd use some Dodo Juice Purple Haze to top off your Mirror Glaze. Or my Fav CarPro Reload. With your arms burning after doing the UC by hand you'll want a very easy on/off product and Reload is certainly that.
Stick up a pic of your car on here, saw it on other threads.

Try adding a Wax or Sealant after the glaze. The glaze will give you some protection but not as much as a wax or sealant. I'd use some Dodo Juice Purple Haze to top off your Mirror Glaze. Or my Fav CarPro Reload. With your arms burning after doing the UC by hand you'll want a very easy on/off product and Reload is certainly that.

I didn't know what Mirror Glaze was, but google showed it is intact a Paste Wax. See here.

Another one of those annoyingly wrongly labelled products :p

Reactions: Scottyg

20160811 161326
There you go scottyg not bad for a 10 year old Quattro . Yes it was a bit of hard work you can't beat elbow grease lol Andy F

Reactions: Scottyg
I didn't know what Mirror Glaze was, but google showed it is intact a Paste Wax. See here.

Another one of those annoyingly wrongly labelled products :p
Hi Doc is that good or bad fom me ?

Hi Doc is that good or bad fom me ?

Good mate! A glaze doesn't provide much protection, but a paste wax does. The fact that it had 'glaze' in the title was just misleading...

Looks pretty stunning to me mate great job!

Good mate! A glaze doesn't provide much protection, but a paste wax does. The fact that it had 'glaze' in the title was just misleading...

Looks pretty stunning to me mate great job!
Thanks Doc
Andy F