Decisions, decisions...

Doublemint1984

Reaction score
Guys i really cant make my mind up what wheels i should go with.

There are 2 options:

8*18 BBS CH Black Edition ET50 http://www.vwvortex.com/artman/uploads/bbs_ch_black_persp567_05.jpg

or

8*18 OZ Ultraleggera in matt black ET45 http://www.sono-tuning.com/images/oz/ultraleggera-black.jpg

Im thinking about this for weeks now.
For some time i thought i had settled on the OZs, then I was back with the BBSs.

My car is an ibiswhite S3 which currently gets the mirror caps and front/rear spoiler/diffusor sprayed gloss black.
It is also lowered on PSS10s.

I was also playing with the idea to pinstripe the wheels (Foliatec) which would be an easy job with the BBS (but not with the OZ).
Then I thought the pinstriping may look a bit boyracerish...however the BBS have already a sort of pinstripe...
Sometimes I think the OZs looks a bit "too" black with no accents at all..then i think i really like that hardcore look...

As you see, im really undecided.

Any advices that could help me with the decision?

Cheers,
Tim

some pics of the different alloys and your carwould help us decide better! I think White A3 with black BBS CH looks gorgeous, dont know what the Ultraleggera looks like tho so cant comment.

Here are couple of pics to help you decide....:icon_thumright:

PICT2895.jpg

PICT2891-1.jpg

CH's

OZ's look like they belong on a Renault/Ford.

I agree that they look stunning on that orange one!

Could someone shop me some onto a white S3 and pinstripe the edge in white too?

S3 Saf, are those CH the newer ones with the protector lip?

Anyways, I'd be the weird one to choose the OZ UL. Cheaper and lighter. Though, the rim protector on the newer bbs certainly do look interesting for the lady when she drives my car.

CH every time. I hate Oz wheels, they suit so few cars...

What size are the ones on the orange one?

Would love to go for 19" but really not wanting to sacrifice any performance.

Dont want to open a new topic so will just post the pics here.
Some bits were sprayed gloss black.

IMG_1714.jpg

IMG_1713.jpg

IMG_1717.jpg

IMG_1718.jpg

IMG_1722.jpg

IMG_1726.jpg

S3 Saf, are those CH the newer ones with the protector lip?

Anyways, I'd be the weird one to choose the OZ UL. Cheaper and lighter. Though, the rim protector on the newer bbs certainly do look interesting for the lady when she drives my car.

sorry for the late reply mate, yes there the new bbs ch black eddition that come with the stainless steel protector lip.
Saf

What size are the ones on the orange one?

Would love to go for 19" but really not wanting to sacrifice any performance.

ur car looks amazing mate, yes there 19" and you wont notice that much of a difference with performance then 18" my friend.
19" just look :drool: dont go any lower....:thumbsup:

BBS without a doubt, OZ's look *****

ch - perfect for the car and colour !! - as prev mentioned seen the oz on plenty of ford focus' etc..dont do it !

Not even a question for me. BBS CH every time. They match the quality and design ethic of the car perfectly and actually improve it without looking modified.
OZ's are great for a cheaper hot hatch but have no place on an S3!

The car looks fantastic by the way, those black edition CH's will just finish it perfectly.

Thx guys :)
What tyres does one usually put on 19" wheels?

Tim

Well it's got to be a 35 profile, 30 for that rubber band look but not really recommended for ride quality. On an S3 it'll be 225 or 235 width.
225/35/19 give the closest diameter match to stock 225/40/18 tyres. Worth bearing in mind for speedo accuracy, acceleration etc.

I think i'm right in saying this! I'm sure someone will correct me if i'm wrong.

My thoughts precisely. OZ are amongst the best quality alloy wheel available.. They are not used throughout Motorsport for nothing. Design may not suit everyone's taste, but as a product thay are first class every bit as good as BBS.
Saying that, I still prefer the CH on the S3 ;)

The Ultraleggera's look fantastic on Scoobies, Evo's and other race-bread performance cars. I just don't think they look classy or 'prestige' enough for the S3. If i saw an S3 with some Ultraleggera's on i'd think it looked great but (see below photo) when compared to the BBS there's no comparison.
Also.... If you ever sold the car WITH the wheels, the BBS add value (due to VAG fitting BBS as standard to some models), the OZ's would probably detract as they are more aftermarket.

audi_s3_oz_ultraleggera_8x19_heck.jpg

audi_s3_oz_ultraleggera_8x19_seite.jpg

audi_s3_oz_ultraleggera_8x19_hinterachsfelge.jpg

audi_s3_oz_ultraleggera_8x19_front.jpg

In my humble opinion the spokes are just too skinny for Audi styling.

If i was going for really light strong, great looking wheels which suit an Audi i'd be saving up and going for some Volk Racing forged rims. Very expensive (probably £1k more than the OZ's) but look amazing, they actually look like a cross between the ultraleggera's and BBS funnily enough...

Obviously they're not one of your options so i won't confuse things lol. But just so you know what i'm talking about....

progressivme_01.jpg

My thoughts precisely. OZ are amongst the best quality alloy wheel available.. They are not used throughout Motorsport for nothing. Design may not suit everyone's taste, but as a product thay are first class every bit as good as BBS.
Saying that, I still prefer the CH on the S3 ;)

Thats why I said they looked ***** which I have to admit I take back after seeing on the yellow S3, they arent that bad TBH, I didnt say the quality of them was bad, just visuals in comparison to the BBS, I'm sure if you put the OZ up against another wheel I would think OZ's were good, but on this occassion I have to say BBS wins hands down

That orange S3 just looks way to low man, I think if the car wasnt so low the wheels would look a hell of alot better, only IMHO of course, when comparing to the ride height of the yellow S3 I actually prefer the yellow S3 it makes the wheels just fit perfectly in the arches, the orange one looks kinda odd, I also think the mirrors on the orange one need to be black as it kinda looks little funny with black wheels, orange body & silver mirrors, not saying its a bad car at all, its an S3 afterall & I'm an S3 lover & was for 7 years with my old 8L, just awaiting the STronic S3 sportback next year.

Had the dbilas air intake and supersprint catback system installed.
Here is a quick vid of the exhaust:

sounds lush ... U decided on wheels yet ?

been bored and cant sleep . So i have been doing loads of research on wheels and sizes .
I think i prefer ur 18s than this s3 with 19 leggeras
127177455_2.jpg

IMG_1346.jpg