Correct me if I am Wrong!

Louay

Reaction score
By all accounts the RS3 is a fantastic car as is the S3, current and previous models.

Why is it though, that the S3 seems to grab all the media and forum attention over the RS3 or is it just me?

thanks

Louay

Last edited:
I was going to edit but unsure which one should be RS3,I think the first one is wrong :)

Perhaps it's because so few going around that only a select few can afford to buy and run a RS3.

Having said that IMHO even fewer Condor grey sportbacks running around.... apart from mine, in past year I've seen two.

By all accounts the RS3 is a fantastic car as is the S3, current and previous models.

Why is it thought, that the S3 seems to grab all the media and forum attention over the S3 or is it just me?

thanks

Louay

A lot of people don't want a 5 door for one thing.

Another is the costs involved in getting the engine modified to anything like the power you can from the 2.0

And....there are fewer RS3's.

Having said that IMHO even fewer Condor grey sportbacks running around.... apart from mine, in past year I've seen two.

Mines got to be one I them! Lol

Seen loads of TT's in condor this week, I was telling the girlfriend how unusual they were this week an we seen 4 in 1 day lol

The RS3 didn't get much love from the media from new so that might explain it, they prefer the ditch finding 1M because they must all live in sunny climates where it never rains, or maybe not... It's the same story with the A45 AMG and even the newest 911 Turbo - they are 4WD so supposedly they lack the engagement of manual RWD equivalents.

The latest S3 looks a great car, sub 5s 0-60, 12s to 100 but take a look at evo magazine this month and they say the S3 is "safe, rapid and desirable...but it still doesn't feel like a proper hot hatch", just another fast Audi is another quote I've seen (as if this is a bad thing). Oh and they like the latest Golf GTi, which might please Vorhees ;), but it still doesn't beat the Megane 265.

You are right that there is more chat about the the S3 on here as you might expect as there are far more of them and they've been around longer. There are a few RS3 owners on this and other sites but of the 750 sold it's probably less than 50 online.

There isn't much point in an RS3 vs S3 debate, both are great for the mostly wet and bumpy roads I drive and I'd be happy in either. It does surprise me that despite the same 216 bhp ton figure for the RS3 (4.2s - 60) and S3 (4.9s - 60) with S-tronic there is such difference in 0-60/100 times.

S3 Alex is far better placed to comment on big power. Both the TTRS and RS3 are easy (£650ish) to get to 400bhp and sub 4s - 60, and about 9s 100 which is part of the appeal. Oh and there is that small matter of 2.5, 5 pot sound if rallying has any appeal.

Reactions: S3Alex and voorhees
Yeah I agree MBK,I ended my Evo subscription not on Audi reviews but more on fair reviews,surely the RS3 deserves some recognition with it being similar to a modern day Intergrale ? I think price keeps a lot of people away from RS3's also the moredoor only option.

Mk7 Golf Gti pfft its a bit like looking in the mirror,,,getting wider with age lol

When evo test drove the Mk7 Golf ,they said it is a remarkable car,but the test driver also said he preferred getting back in his mk6 at the end.

The RS is nice, but looks like it's trying to hard, I'm not a fan of the big ducts on the front bumper and much prefer the softer more sleeper looking S3. Just a matter of opionion though.

S3 is more appealing to the masses and in terms of styling, quality of interior, performance and economy its best in class, it also has great tuning potential. All the above were factors in my decision to buy one. RS3 would be double the money that i paid for my S3 and with spending half that again tuning the S3 I could have 80% of the perfomance for something that looks standard and discreet(ish). Just my 2 cents.

I've had a 10 plate sportback S3, a 61 plate 3 door S3 and currently a 12 plate RS3, I absolutely loved the S3's but for me the RS3 is just so much better, yes it isn't cheap but it offers great performance in standard form, and in the real world that's enough.

S3 Alex is far better placed to comment on big power. Both the TTRS and RS3 are easy (£650ish) to get to 400bhp and sub 4s - 60, and about 9s 100 which is part of the appeal. Oh and there is that small matter of 2.5, 5 pot sound if rallying has any appeal.

The problem there is the current kits are very few and far between for the RS.

Loba make a very nice turbo which will return about 500bhp,and APR's kit is aimed only at the TTRS,and is gob-smackingly expensive.

So...400+bhp is easy enough,but 500bhp isn't.