Coolant leak

burnzdog

Reaction score
Hi All,

Just found out the car I bought had got quite a bad coolant leak. Light came on the other day so I filled up and I can see after checking that the coolant is dropping rapidly. Just topped up again and chucked a big piece of cardboard underneath, started it up, and I can see a few drops appear immediately towards the rear of the engine.

Anyone know what this could be?

Any help appreciated.

Hi mate. Could be the coolant flange. It has a O ring rubber gasket that gets soft with age and starts to leak coolant. You can sometimes smell it as it usually drops onto the hot manifold.

Took a closer look today. Definitely dripping at the back of the engine but not sure where from. Couple of photos might shed some light. Still concerned it might be going into the engine. Cap and dipstick not showing signs of anything.
20150124 152248

20150124 152339 1

When I sent my original reply I thought you had petrol engine. Don't know much about diesel Im afraid. Theres plenty on here who will have some idea. have a search through some of the other threads. Best of luck mate.

I bet it is the coolant pipe that runs under you vac pump, it rubs on the coolant flange housing then splits.
Take you engine cover of, look down the back and you will see a rubber tube. Think I covered it on my thread.

Took cover off but still can see any leak visable. I will check your thread.

I bet it is the coolant pipe that runs under you vac pump, it rubs on the coolant flange housing then splits.
Take you engine cover of, look down the back and you will see a rubber tube. Think I covered it on my thread.

Think I have found the source. lid off i got the camera right to the back of the engine... Not sure what the pipe is.

Photo was taken pointing towards the engine underneath pipe..
20150125 1254081

20150125 1255431

20150125 1256181