Coolant leak.. or not..

larbel

Reaction score
PFL S3, yesterday while driving coolant warning came on and after stopping to check, it’s indeed below minimum level, so I went into a store to pick up some distilled water for the time being, took like 15 mins.. I slowly opened the cap to let the pressure out and to my surprise, once the pressure is out, the coolant level went right back to close to maximum level! I didn’t have to even add water, been driving all day since and this morning as well, no more warning so far, should I be worried and get it looked at??

I believe Audi now recommend ignoring the max fill level & fill up to the halfway seam around the expansion tank instead which is slightly higher up.

If it happens again... fill it up.... if it then happens again couple weeks later could be water pump... I'm PFL and on 3rd water pump. Thank God for warranty otherwise about a £700 fix from Audi.

PFL S3, yesterday while driving coolant warning came on and after stopping to check, it’s indeed below minimum level, so I went into a store to pick up some distilled water for the time being, took like 15 mins.. I slowly opened the cap to let the pressure out and to my surprise, once the pressure is out, the coolant level went right back to close to maximum level! I didn’t have to even add water, been driving all day since and this morning as well, no more warning so far, should I be worried and get it looked at??

there are lots of threads on this subject if you search for them....sorry can't be RS'd to link them here lol
i had water pump replaced....did nothing.
if you don't see any physical evidence of leaks then it's most likely to be air trapped in the system which requires "bleeding" and filling up system to avoid air bubble.
if the dealer does drain and refill your system you must make sure after its done that the car is driven, then allowed to cooldown, then coolant topped up again to push air out. after this is done it usually sorts the issue.

I was pretty sure mine was this air in the system issue, until I began smelling coolant after short drives. I haven't bothered to screw around with my crap to pull the belly pan and check it. It's going in Monday to be looked over. Really anxious to hear what sort of story they come up with.