Contemplating S3 or Golf R

Andru8

Reaction score
I sold my 2011 s3 a few months ago and got myself a BMW 125D, mainly for the mpg and performance values. I had it remapped to 276bhp 2 weeks ago by Rick at Unicorn. His service is fantastic by the way, I couldn't be happier with it. The thing is I'm a little bored of the BM now and thinking of a change. I've always liked small quick cars, I may be getting on slightly, I'll be 51 in January but still have the buzz in me.

I'll have around £10k plus my car, which should give me around 27/28k for my new one. I know that this is the S3 forums but what would your advice be on choosing either car. I like the Golf for its compact size and interior but also like the S3 for its slightly more upmarket appeal. Are there any direct unbiased comparison reviews?

What are the specs to look for and the specs to give a overpriced miss to? I do like the sepang blue, leather interior, xenons, cruise, parking sensors, being short I certainly need the rear ones!

Any advice would be appreciated, thanks.

Uh oh.

Reactions: thebluefox, Bristle Hound, Pulp84 and 3 others
I can see how this is gonna pan out ......

Reactions: Martinbanshee, veeeight, Simon L and 1 other person
aaaaaaaaaawwwwweeeee Nnnnaaaaaaawwwwwwww

Lol

Reactions: Martinbanshee, MA3RC, Simon L and 2 others
Haha strap yourselves in !

Reactions: Martinbanshee, Jassyo06, veeeight and 1 other person
OP

Simple answer:
Test drive both, and buy the one you like :D

Reactions: steeve, S3 Turbo, batch and 6 others
Better residuals on an S3 compared to a Golf R.(if you plan on selling on)

Buy a Golf R .................the S3 is total c**p !! :)

Reactions: S3 Turbo, voorhees, WarwickL and 2 others
I'm an S3 owner get me out of here........

If you are buying new and your budget is £27/28K max and you want a few extras like cruise and rear parking sensors (comfort pack), and Sepang (xenons and leather interior are standard on the S3) you might be £1-2K short on your budget for a manual and another £1500 short for Auto

Reactions: Rob2k68
Yawwwewwwwnnnnn .........

Reactions: Rob2k68
.........and don't forget to consider Beemers and Mercs......................both vastly superior to the S3.

In fact after several months on this forum I feel like I've been locked away for 25 years and indoctrinated by some radical cult movement. I think I'm also now ready to accept that Honda, Renault, Ford and pretty much any other performance manufacturer are better than Audi.

Reactions: Kings999, Martinbanshee, Supa Koopa and 3 others
I'm an S3 owner get me out of here........

If you are buying new and your budget is £27/28K max and you want a few extras like cruise and rear parking sensors (comfort pack), and Sepang (xenons and leather interior are standard on the S3) you might be £1-2K short on your budget for a manual and another £1500 short for Auto

I don't think so. My s3 is for sale, sepang, comfort pack, privacy & stronic with 5.5k miles. 15plate and it's listed at 28k and I have had no interest what so ever. It's the cheapest on auto trader spec for spec. Well looked after, only v-power and only selling as want to get rs3 or a 997, 911. and not keen on px as I'll be offered stupid low price.

Sorry just noticed you said new. In thread.

I don't think so. My s3 is for sale, sepang, comfort pack, privacy & stronic with 5.5k miles. 15plate and it's listed at 28k and I have had no interest what so ever. It's the cheapest on auto trader spec for spec. Well looked after, only v-power and only selling as want to get rs3 or a 997, 911. and not keen on px as I'll be offered stupid low price.

I think so as I was assuming OP was looking at new

In relation to your car my old manual S3 with comfort pack, folding mirrors, Audi sound system and a few other bits and pieces and 5K miles is still on sale after three months at Hitchin Audi for £29,850 (assume they would accept ca. £28 to £28.5k)

.........and don't forget to consider Beemers and Mercs......................both vastly superior to the S3.

In fact after several months on this forum I feel like I've been locked away for 25 years and indoctrinated by some radical cult movement. I think I'm also now ready to accept that Honda, Renault, Ford and pretty much any other performance manufacturer are better than Audi.

Images

Reactions: Blackwhite, Simon L, Rob2k68 and 1 other person
I sold my 2011 s3 a few months ago and got myself a BMW 125D, mainly for the mpg and performance values. I had it remapped to 276bhp 2 weeks ago by Rick at Unicorn. His service is fantastic by the way, I couldn't be happier with it. The thing is I'm a little bored of the BM now and thinking of a change. I've always liked small quick cars, I may be getting on slightly, I'll be 51 in January but still have the buzz in me.

I'll have around £10k plus my car, which should give me around 27/28k for my new one. I know that this is the S3 forums but what would your advice be on choosing either car. I like the Golf for its compact size and interior but also like the S3 for its slightly more upmarket appeal. Are there any direct unbiased comparison reviews?

What are the specs to look for and the specs to give a overpriced miss to? I do like the sepang blue, leather interior, xenons, cruise, parking sensors, being short I certainly need the rear ones!

Any advice would be appreciated, thanks.
Where are you based Andrew?

When I was looking I found that I liked the look of the Golf R (outside), but once inside I though "That looks cheap".

Nothing I didn't like about the Audi, plus the 4 rings no matter how much people say "It's still mass produced" has the up market appeal as you have mentioned.

You will get yourself into a brand new S3,3 door manual for £28k with a 10% discount

Reactions: Andru8
Just remember : In a Golf R, you wear

your baseball hat backwards!

Reactions: S3 Turbo
To go with your skinny fit grey joggers and Ralph polo
Jesus...maybe I should have ordered a golf lol...I'm 44...but still wear a baseball cap....wear nike slim joggers...and also designer polo t shirts!!

Reactions: voorhees and veeeight
Jesus...maybe I should have ordered a golf lol...I'm 44...but still wear a baseball cap....wear nike slim joggers...and also designer polo t shirts!!
Time to change one's attire me thinks lol
Especially getting a limo S3

Reactions: Jassyo06
Hope it's not burberry mate!!! :D
No...but if I'm honest did have a burberry cap years ago lol......I'm not changing my attire lol.....once a joggers wearer always a joggers wearer...i just don't do jeans .....I wear pants all week in work so come the weekend...I'm slobbing it!!

Reactions: Scottyg and Jassyo06
Oops. ..yes the misses does wear pandora..this ain't going well lol

Reactions: Jassyo06 and veeeight
-ultimate-chav-fancy-dress-smiffys-38369--14318-p.jpg

Reactions: Bristle Hound, pburv, Supa Koopa and 1 other person

Slim joggers and designer polo me as well (at 52) minus the baseball cap except to stop my bald head burning in the few days of sunshine we get.... nothing like a bit of self deficating humor for a Friday afternoon

We should also apologize to the OP for derailing the thread a littel as this subject has caused a little bit of debate in the past to say the least (R v S and not make of baseball cap I should add!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!)

Last edited:
Whichever you choose....welcome to a world of pain interspersed with moments of pleasure followed by more pain

Dealing with Audi or VW dealerships will soon turn your hair grey, if you havent pulled it out !

Reactions: Simon L and veeeight
Think l will give me birthday jacket it's first airing tomorrow when l go and try and get me hair fixed lol ye can never get too much Audi

Reactions: Simon L
Think l will give me birthday jacket it's first airing tomorrow when l go and try and get me hair fixed lol ye can never get too much Audi View attachment 74755

Very classy J, some smashing mono-pur zippage goin on there!! lol

Reactions: Jassyo06
Well I didn't see this thread going this way at all...

Reactions: S3 Turbo, voorhees, Jassyo06 and 2 others
OP....You can have mine !

HUMBUG

Reactions: Simon L and Jassyo06
OP

Simple answer:
Test drive both, and buy the one you like :D

That's the best way, they're both good in their own way.

My order of preference is:
1: S3 Saloon
2: S3 Sportback
3: Golf R
4: S3 Hatch

Reactions: Tej13, veeeight and Simon L
That's the best way, they're both good in their own way.

My order of preference is:
1: S3 Saloon
2: S3 Sportback
3: Golf R
4: S3 Hatch

Interesting Martin...................why do feel the Golf R edges out the Hatch?