Condensation on interior windows - Air Con fault?

clem2192

Reaction score
Guys/Gals,

Since we have had the cold snap in the weather I have found my interior windows are getting condensation on them after a short drive.

After a 10min drive and then returning to drive home about 3.5 hours later there is condensation on the windows.

I have tried a number of settings (Econ on / off, Air Con on/off, recirc and climate control on/off) but the problem still seems to exist.

Is this a problem with the air con system or am I just being a div and not using the correct settings?

There are no wet patches in the passenger footwell either

Nice One

Ryan

I have exactally the same, I don't believe it to be a fault with the air con though I believe that on short journeys the moisture just does not get removed fully by the system as the car will not have run up to temperature and will just re-circulate the mositure. Most people I work with who drive in around 10 minutes all have this happen no matter what make of car they have.

Hope this puts you mind at rest.

I have exactally the same, I don't believe it to be a fault with the air con though I believe that on short journeys the moisture just does not get removed fully by the system as the car will not have run up to temperature and will just re-circulate the mositure. Most people I work with who drive in around 10 minutes all have this happen no matter what make of car they have.

Hope this puts you mind at rest.

Thanks, this does help.....so should I just leave the climate on 'Auto' around 22.0 degrees or should I be using some other settings??

Thanks, this does help.....so should I just leave the climate on 'Auto' around 22.0 degrees or should I be using some other settings??

I tend to stick the window demist option on and wack the temp up full, recently I have been going out and starting her up 5-10 minutes beofe driving to give it a good chance to demist properly and then if its a sunny day (few and far between un the UK I know) parking in the sunlight as the raidiant heat from this will also help.

Another fix is to go for a long drive 40 minutes + and that should cure it for a few days..

Thanks, will give that a go.....may just leave her running for a bit with the temperature on full and air con on to see if I can get rid of some of the moisture!

On another topic, do you find it difficult to change smoothly between 1st & 2nd??

Thanks, will give that a go.....may just leave her running for a bit with the temperature on full and air con on to see if I can get rid of some of the moisture!

On another topic, do you find it difficult to change smoothly between 1st & 2nd??

No I have no problems however mine is a DSG so is seamles I am assuming you have a manual?

If its a 10 min drive you should be cycling LOL

My works a 5 min drive! thats why i need a diesel!

on the subject of the AC though, TDi's warm up slow so i'm not suprised this is an issue if yours is a derv.

I had a similar issue a few weeks ago and it turned out my rear passenger side door weather strip was faulty and was letting a lot of water into the door which was draining ok, however was causing condensation.

Condensation is caused by:

* Having the recirculation on.
* Having the Air-Conditioning off.
* Having COLD air directed at the glass instead of into the car.

Any of the above -individually or in combination- will increase the tendency for moist air to condense.

Keith

One thing to note is to make sure the inside of the windows are cleaned regularly...this helps to prevent build up of condensation believe it or not and helps to prevent the inside of the windows misting up too easily...

Good tip and true.

I was having issues with mine despite it having had full valet at the dealers, I cleaned the windows myself with the cream from autoglym and its been much better since plus the kitchen roll was black with filth, they can look clean yet be full of moisture and dirt.

iv not got aircon and have the same problem, try rain X anti fog, i got some from tesco for under £6 and its worked a treat

Interesting, rain X huh, will check it out.

yeah rain-x is used a lot by the detailing guys on the exterior glass and if they use it....

never heard of rain-x anti fog but if the stuff for exterior glass works...

You having trouble finishing your sentences or need a prompter, lol

Try a very snall anount of washing up liquid polished on to the inside of the window...not the screen. thats what bikers use to stop visors on helmets steaming up. try it on one window so you can check that its working against the others.

Try a very snall anount of washing up liquid polished on to the inside of the window...not the screen. thats what bikers use to stop visors on helmets steaming up. try it on one window so you can check that its working against the others.

I had a problem once with condensation, I know this sounds obvious and maybe a bit stupid, but I was keeping my swimming kit in the boot on an evening and not removing it until the following night after work, I was getting terrible condensation in the mornings and took the aircon ages to clear it.

As I say, I may just be a muppet, but it was causing a similar problem, anything wet in the car will. As will a leak in the boot or door seals.

Right here goes, i suffered condensation up until recently. Being a detailer my self i used Rain x anti fog, until i was told about a cheap product on dw called 'Astonish Glass cleaner anti fog' it's 99p from wilkinsons. A bargain and it works too. I did half my front screen in it and you could see visibly the difference. Great stuff and at 99p a bargain.

I prefer pinlock LOL

Yea...Bob heath visor spray if you like spending money :no: