Coding boffins required

S3_Jacko

Reaction score
Hey guys... Done a couple of jobs today that I thought would be pretty straight forward.. And to be fair, work...

But after a scan are throwing up baffling errors that have left me scratching my head....

Anyway, I retrofitted cruise today and also MY11 wing mirrors and ditched the horrible MY09 dumbos!

Anyways... The cruise works fine, operational, car responds well, appears on the dash, the full shebang.. However, I am receiving a fault that the scan cannot contact the cruise, which is baffling cause its working fine...

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Address 01: Engine (CDL) Labels: 06F-907-115-CDL.clb
Part No SW: 8P0 907 115 AB HW: 8P0 907 115 B
Component: 2.0l R4/4V TFSI 0010
Revision: 5BH16--- Serial number: AUX7Z0HNFNB0JD
Coding: 0103000C180F0160
Shop #: WSC 06314 123 12345
VCID: 72EB3C436D5AFA8E927-8027

1 Fault Found:
049412 - No Communication with Cruise Control Module
U0104 - 008 - - Intermittent
Freeze Frame:
Fault Status: 00101000
Fault Priority: 2
Fault Frequency: 1
Reset counter: 255
Mileage: 65756 km
Time Indication: 0
Date: 2014.12.14
Time: 00:19:06

Freeze Frame:
RPM: 0 /min
Load: 0.0 %
Speed: 0.0 km/h
Temperature: 45.0°C
Temperature: 20.0°C
Absolute Pres.: 980.0 mbar
Voltage: 12.065 V

Readiness: 0000 0101

---------------------------------------
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Address 16: Steering wheel Labels: 8P0-953-549-F.lbl
Part No SW: 8P0 953 549 F HW: 8P0 953 549 F
Component: J0527 H36 0070
Coding: 0004042
Shop #: WSC 06314 000 00000
VCID: 4189A38F187C1116DBD-8014

Subsystem 1 - Part No: XXXXXXXXXXX
Component: E0221 H06 0030

1 Fault Found:
01044 - Control Module Incorrectly Coded
000 - - - Intermittent

----------------------------------------

I have a March 2009 car, so the cruise control tab was ticked through the long coding option which automatically changed the binary...

The steering wheel module was already coded for 'with board w/o cruise control' and the 2nd last number was changed to a 4.. 'With board with cruise control'

Last edited:
Did you code the engine and steering control ECU modules correctly?

I also changed the mirrors... The only fault I have is that the Drivers mirror isn't working with the switch, the electric alignment... Not sure if its the motor on the actual mirror as it was bought 2nd hand... Double checked the wiring though and it appears ok... Wired the same as the passenger side and that works perfectly... Will need to meter out the cables on that 1 for a break or I believe its the motor itself......

The main reason why i'm asking about the coding, is that I want to get the apr antitheft software installed soon and I want to get the coding tiptop so I dont get any problems...

Cheers in advance for any help...

Did you code the engine and steering control ECU modules correctly?

To the best of my knowledge mate... The cruise control works perfectly and I cant see any problems within the coding of either!? I'm stumpted...

when you push the high beam stalk away from you does it lock into place or spring back?
not sure on the mirrors, are you properly sure that the wires in the 16 pin connector are in the correct pin positions? its weird that the passengers side would work but the drivers won't.

when you push the high beam stalk away from you does it lock into place or spring back?
not sure on the mirrors, are you properly sure that the wires in the 16 pin connector are in the correct pin positions? its weird that the passengers side would work but the drivers won't.

Hey Ash... Thanks for the reply mate..

Yeah the stalk locks into position, on and off.. The cruise works perfectly well.. Its a weird 1.. I dont know why its saying it can't contact it?? With tht saying that, i'm thinking thats whats throwing up the steering module fault...

The mirrors also a weird 1... Seems to be wired up correctly since the indicator and the heated glass are working fine... I'm going to meter it out and make sure its not got a break in the wiring... Failing that, its a faulty motor, which is strange on a MY11 mirror?

did you change the steering control module? you say you have a 2009 car which should have a K rev steering control module.
also your old high beam stalk... did that also lock into place or did it used to spring back... as far as i know facelift cars should all spring back into place not lock forward... its pre-facelifts that lock forward.

did you change the steering control module? you say you have a 2009 car which should have a K rev steering control module.
also your old high beam stalk... did that also lock into place or did it used to spring back... as far as i know facelift cars should all spring back into place not lock forward... its pre-facelifts that lock forward.

Yeah mate... I did a bit of research into the part.. They said because its pre June 2009 it was a preface stalk I was to get.. My car is a March 2009 car so they said that was what was needed... It was VW teeside that I spoke to about it

where is your old stalk? get that and see if it locks into place or springs back. I'm pretty sure you have the wrong stalk

Ahh right the indicator stock... I'll need to check that.. I thought you were talking about the cruise stalk... Give me 2 mins n i'll check that

Na both are the exact same... Lock forward and sping back when pulled back the way (for flashing etc)

Hmm.. if the indicator stalk springs straight back when selecting full beam then that says to me that you should have the revision 'K' module, as opposed to the 'F'.. but I'm assuming that you didn't replace this module?

When you removed all the slipring/ECU, did you also remove the Steering Angle sensor? The highlighted part in this image, although it was probably more rectangular that square..

steersensor.jpg

Hmm.. if the indicator stalk springs straight back when selecting full beam then that says to me that you should have the revision 'K' module, as opposed to the 'F'.. but I'm assuming that you didn't replace this module?

When you removed all the slipring/ECU, did you also remove the Steering Angle sensor? The highlighted part in this image, although it was probably more rectangular that square..

steersensor.jpg

The stalk locks forward for full beam on both the stalk removed and the stalk fitted... When you pull back on both (to flash someone out for example) then both spring back.. Removed stalk and installed stalk are exactly the same.... Sensor was removed, reinstalled and steering was recalibrated...

Would I be correct in saying, because the steering wheel module has been coded for cruise and the fact the (engine) section can't contact cruise then this is why its throwing up that fault!?

Remember though, cruise control works perfectly on the car.. No fault lights at all on the car.... Just these faults when I scan it....

As said, wana get the apr antitheft software installed, which works through cruise... Just wana get those faults cleared so I know its definitely going to work...

its a weird one, as you say your old and new stalk behave the same so it would suggest you have the correct stalk. The fact that the cruise is working would suggest that the engine is coded correctly also but if in doubt you can always turn off the cruise control on the engine module and then re-enable it and see if the error clears then.

how did you get on with the mirror? sounds like a wiring problem there

its a weird one, as you say your old and new stalk behave the same so it would suggest you have the correct stalk. The fact that the cruise is working would suggest that the engine is coded correctly also but if in doubt you can always turn off the cruise control on the engine module and then re-enable it and see if the error clears then.

how did you get on with the mirror? sounds like a wiring problem there

Yeah its a weird 1 Ash... I'm gona clear the codes and rescan it now its had a wee run too and see if that clears it....

I've not had a chance to look at it yet mate... Been playing on my mind... I'm thinking faulty motor, but hope not..

Heres a question.. If its the motor? Have you ever fitted an A5 base to a A3/S3... Exact same mirror, but the wiring is 4 and 2... Unlike the 6 on 1 block.. Different colour coding, but easy enough to work out and crimp new pins on?

i lost you on the numbers

Haha sorry mate.. Know how the A3/S3 mirror connectors come with a single block with 6 wires... The A5 block comes with 2 blocks, with 4 and 2... Have you ever installed an A5 base to an A3/S3... Even though the wire colour coding is different they still do the same job.. Easy enough to work out too... Just wondered if theres anything that would stop me doing that... Reason I ask is I seen a base going cheap

check the pins on the 16 pin connector where it goes into the door module, the pins could easily be in the wrong locations.

I have done Ash... Looks fine.. I do things like that for a living but you never know.. I'll meter out the motor cable and test i'm getting power when the switch is pressed... No power then break.. I'll test the continuity of the strands... Power then duff motor... I'll get that A5 base and transfer the wiring... Should be easy enough

Reactions: Kelza and Ash187
Quick update... Stuck vcds back on, cleared the codes from the modules manually.. Rescanned and no codes... Very very weird cos cruise worked straight off the bat...

While I was in the mood, actually coded the rnse in properly too.. Ha..

So only fault left is the rf to ground, aerial amp, not too fussed about this, but ocd means i'll keep my eye out on fleabay for a cheap amp

Cars now booked in for apr antitheft software... Cheers for the replies guys

didnt know the a5 mirror base is same as the a3 facelift , great to hear as the a5 folding mirrors are cheaper than the a3