Changing the S3....but to what?

I think the MB interior looks naff, more like going to somewhere like Sound Gallery in the 80s and throwing every new fangled piece of LED lighting at it that was named 'cool blue' or similar. Over time I think it will age really badly.

All the new generation Audi’s have the same lighting, as do all the new generation BMWs it’s not a Mercedes specific interior option.It’s all the old generation models that don’t have it. I personally like it, and in the Mercedes you can have as much or as little off it lit up as you want.

Reactions: Snake Pliskin and NevMan
@Chris4410 I'm looking forward to hearing your thoughts on your Merc! :icon thumright:

I am going to put up a comparison thread asap, I am still in the running in phase so haven't been able to push the A35 so any post now wouldn't be a complete review on the car.

Reactions: NevMan and loftylad
I think I will be in the position of having to replace my A3 in the near future. At the moment my wife has a Polo and I have the A3 but I have problems with my legs which is making it increasingly difficult to swap my foot between the throttle and the brake. Because of this problem I think I am going have to give up driving all together. Fortunately my wife is a good driver and is quite happy to take over all the driving. She is happy driving the A3 but boot space is going to be a problem as I have to use a mobility scooter which does not leave a lot of space for shopping or other luggage etc. Taking the scooter out each time she needs to do the shopping would be a pain so we are thinking of selling both cars and getting a new Audi Q3. She had a test drive in a Q3 the other day and was quite happy driving it and I found it very comfortable from the passenger seat. When folded my scooter will fit in the boot area from front to back leaving over half of the area for other items. At least it would be possible for me to operating the touch screen navigation. Now all we need to do is work out the prices!

Reactions: Tej13 and NevMan
I think I will be in the position of having to replace my A3 in the near future. At the moment my wife has a Polo and I have the A3 but I have problems with my legs which is making it increasingly difficult to swap my foot between the throttle and the brake. Because of this problem I think I am going have to give up driving all together. Fortunately my wife is a good driver and is quite happy to take over all the driving. She is happy driving the A3 but boot space is going to be a problem as I have to use a mobility scooter which does not leave a lot of space for shopping or other luggage etc. Taking the scooter out each time she needs to do the shopping would be a pain so we are thinking of selling both cars and getting a new Audi Q3. She had a test drive in a Q3 the other day and was quite happy driving it and I found it very comfortable from the passenger seat. When folded my scooter will fit in the boot area from front to back leaving over half of the area for other items. At least it would be possible for me to operating the touch screen navigation. Now all we need to do is work out the prices!

The new Q3 is a BIG improvement over the last. Hope you get the pricing all sorted

Have you thought of getting hand controls?
I have seen them fitted to a few cars and essentially replaced the need to use your feet.
Looks strange watching people drive with them but they seem very effective and I’ve seen these fitted to very high performance cars before.
Just an option so you can still drive about and be mobile.
Sorry to hear about your foot problems.

Reactions: NevMan
I have seen them fitted to a few cars and essentially replaced the need to use your feet.
Looks strange watching people drive with them but they seem very effective and I’ve seen these fitted to very high performance cars before.

That is a very good shout, definitely an option

Most people on here enjoy driving,as do you Dave.Hope you can carry on mate,good luck!

I have considered hand controls but as I'm 71, teaching on old dog new tricks doesn't really appeal. I have decided that if I cannot drive in the way I have for the last 50+ years then I would rather not drive at all. I'm sure I will enjoy owning and being a passenger in a new Q3 even if cannot drive it. Fortunately my wife drives in a very similar way to me and I am quite relaxed being a passenger when she is driving.

Reactions: JimmyMcGee, Audi Bairn, Adam14 and 2 others
I have considered hand controls but as I'm 71, teaching on old dog new tricks doesn't really appeal. I have decided that if I cannot drive in the way I have for the last 50+ years then I would rather not drive at all. I'm sure I will enjoy owning and being a passenger in a new Q3 even if cannot drive it. Fortunately my wife drives in a very similar way to me and I am quite relaxed being a passenger when she is driving.

It will be nice being chauffeured around:icon thumright:
I know what you mean about new tricks. Seen quite a few of these hand controls and other things out there to help people to drive. Even seen some that swap the pedals around, now that would be confusing.

Been looking at a few cars for the mrs and q3 is on the shortlist. Nice overall but some bits of plastics I’m not too keen on but overall as a package it’s a good car.
Other options is the Volvo xc40. I know this is an Audi forum but there are other marques out there:wink: I thought the fit and finish was superb so worth a look.its slightly better equipped and more bang for your buck. I found getting in and out was slightly better/easier than the q3. Could be me at 17st+ and 6’3 though.

It will be nice being chauffeured around:icon thumright:
I know what you mean about new tricks. Seen quite a few of these hand controls and other things out there to help people to drive. Even seen some that swap the pedals around, now that would be confusing.

Been looking at a few cars for the mrs and q3 is on the shortlist. Nice overall but some bits of plastics I’m not too keen on but overall as a package it’s a good car.
Other options is the Volvo xc40. I know this is an Audi forum but there are other marques out there:wink: I thought the fit and finish was superb so worth a look.its slightly better equipped and more bang for your buck. I found getting in and out was slightly better/easier than the q3. Could be me at 17st+ and 6’3 though.

Xc40 is highly rated. How does it drive?

Xc40 is highly rated. How does it drive?

Like all suv, not interesting, not fast but that’s not what’s it about. It’s comfortable, big and fits most of the kids stuff in the boot. Electric tailgate is nice, not sure if that’s standard on the Volvo or q3.
The centre touch screen was better looking than the new Audi ones in my opinion. Only thing was you need a pretty high spec to get all the toys, semi autonomous, and 4wd was only available in the faster bigger engines. Diesel engine I tried was a bit noisy. Q3 engine sounded a bit quieter.
Just waiting on the right deal and that will be the deciding factor on the 2.

Not sure about the Volvo, but power tailgate standard even on entry level Q3

According to the motoring press the all new Evoque is the best out of the Q3 which l don't like and the lkea inspired XC40.. .Evoque should be good on a pcp as its residuals will be higher than both Audi and the Volvo

Reactions: AlS3BE
According to the motoring press the all new Evoque is the best out of the Q3 which l don't like and the lkea inspired XC40.. .Evoque should be good on a pcp as its residuals will be higher than both Audi and the Volvo

New evoque is too new so little deals or discounts. Did a carwow quote a few weeks ago and got £1 discount on list price:wink: it was a dealer that’s 300+ miles away.
I quite liked the old one so any improvement on that will be a plus. Just need to wait till it drops in price.

New Evoque does seem to be very highly rated, with 67% residual after 3 years “predicted”

Reactions: Audi Bairn
New evoque is too new so little deals or discounts. Did a carwow quote a few weeks ago and got £1 discount on list price:wink: it was a dealer that’s 300+ miles away.
I quite liked the old one so any improvement on that will be a plus. Just need to wait till it drops in price.

Worth popping into dealers, as may be deals on offer, as sales generally slow (not talking about evoque sales specifically).

Selectcarleasing offering evoque for £287.99 p/m with £2.5k down.

Have you looked at Merc GLC?

Collected a PFL RS3 at the weekend (had a PFL S3 previous).
Wow, ridiculous car. The noise alone is worth the change.

Reactions: Jcbmally, oli356, TonkS3 and 2 others
Worth popping into dealers, as may be deals on offer, as sales generally slow (not talking about evoque sales specifically).

Selectcarleasing offering evoque for £287.99 p/m with £2.5k down.

Have you looked at Merc GLC?

The tech looks dated unless you spec the full command nav system which is way too much for what it is. The standard screen is like 5in low res thing. Other than that the glc is a very nice and massive discounts as facelift is coming I think.