Car insurance time again

Daz4311

Reaction score
That time again...juat had my quote from direct line on my s3......670...goes up every ****** year....im 47 and have 9 years no claims and a clean licence...quick look on the comparison sites...and can get it a bit cheaper but only from a few mickey mouse firms!!!!

Yup l couldn't get it £600 either was £440 year before no claims bonus ain't worth the paper it's printed on as l only have year NCB

£400 19years ncb :thumbs up: £400 excess. Couldn’t get the excess lower without increasing premiums to £500+

I had my S3 last year with LV for £518 which for my postcode is unreal. I had a discount for parking sensors and autonomous braking though otherwise it would have been £700.
I've been with them for 4 years now and always get a better renewal deal than going as a new customer, it makes a refreshing change to be looked after tbh

I look forward to when my insurance is 3 figures

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Reactions: Bells, S32B and Jassyo06
Direct Line for me. Last year and this year still in the £300’s per year.
When I got the car two years ago they wanted £500 or £600 over the phone to change cars so I paid £40 to cancel then immediately took a new policy from them online for £328

That time again...juat had my quote from direct line on my s3......670...goes up every ****** year....im 47 and have 9 years no claims and a clean licence.
Given your age and driving record that seems very high....so there must be a reason behind it. Post code area can have a significant effect on insurance premiums, so it could be that you are in a particularly bad one.
http://www.motorcarinsuranceuk.co.uk/post-code-ratings.php#K
I am in the B area according to that list.
My premium for a new S3 Saloon Black Edition is £429.55. This is for a 51 year old, protected no claims, legal protection, £100 fire & theft excess and £250 accidental damage excess. The accidental damage excess includes £100 voluntary.
This is the first time I've had insurance with a split excess for accidental and fire & theft, and the premium was the cheapest I could find anywhere.
The S3 in general is not a cheap car to insure. My previous 2017 Civic Type R (FK8 latest model) cost £360 to insure.

Reactions: Audi Bairn
Direct Line for me. Last year and this year still in the £300’s per year.
When I got the car two years ago they wanted £500 or £600 so I paid £40 to cancel then immediately took a new policy from them online for £328

Direct line and admiral are really bad for renewals. I’ve done the cancellation and buying as new customer so many times with them.
They have caught on to it as well now so you can’t do an online quote if they have you on their database as a customer/previous customer.

Reactions: Audi Bairn
That time again...juat had my quote from direct line on my s3......670...goes up every ****** year....im 47 and have 9 years no claims and a clean licence...quick look on the comparison sites...and can get it a bit cheaper but only from a few mickey mouse firms!!!!
Try here https://www.axa.co.uk/insurance/personal/car/ they have been the cheapest for me on both the S3 and A5, an extra 10% off if you use a dash cam as well.

Reactions: AG1996
Direct line and admiral are really bad for renewals. I’ve done the cancellation and buying as new customer so many times with them.
They have caught on to it as well now so you can’t do an online quote if they have you on their database as a customer/previous customer.
Probably an exception but for me my renewal came through from Admiral and was a good £300 cheaper than anywhere else. My age and many other factors mean most won't insure me at the moment.

an extra 10% off if you use a dash cam as well.
I would be wary of accepting that discount until I fully understood the implications if whatever reason the footage was unavailable in the event of a claim.
The same reason I do not declare on my home insurance that I have a house alarm, even though there is a small discount for it.

Reactions: Audi Bairn, AlS3BE and Phutters
I know we all like to compare car insurance premiums, but they are exclusively individual so will never be directly comparable.
What is a good company for one person will not necessarily be good for another, even if you have a similar record and drive the same car.
Admiral and Direct Line have never in my history of car insurance offered competitive premiums to me.

Reactions: Ormesome, AlS3BE and Adam14
I would be wary of accepting that discount until I fully understood the implications if whatever reason the footage was unavailable in the event of a claim.
The same reason I do not declare on my home insurance that I have a house alarm, even though there is a small discount for it.
I understand your concerns and I did ask the question myself "What if it broke during an impact and video wasn't available", the guy on the phone handed me over to a claims person who said if no video footage was available at the time and you can provide a picture of the camera in the car after the accident that would suffice.

https://www.axa.co.uk/insurance/personal/car/dashcams/

If you’ve told us your car has a dashcam, you must, where possible, send us video evidence in the event of a car insurance claim, as it will help us to investigate it for you and could settle the claim faster in your favour.

Whilst we won’t need to see videos from every trip, we may also very occasionally ask drivers with dashcams to send us a sample video to make sure that the dashcam is working correctly.

Reactions: Ron240 and AlS3BE
I understand your concerns and I did ask the question myself "What if it broke during an impact and video wasn't available", the guy on the phone handed me over to a claims person who said if no video footage was available at the time and you can provide a picture of the camera in the car after the accident that would suffice.

https://www.axa.co.uk/insurance/personal/car/dashcams/

If you’ve told us your car has a dashcam, you must, where possible, send us video evidence in the event of a car insurance claim, as it will help us to investigate it for you and could settle the claim faster in your favour.

Whilst we won’t need to see videos from every trip, we may also very occasionally ask drivers with dashcams to send us a sample video to make sure that the dashcam is working correctly.

Sounds like a lot of work:wink:

Sounds like a lot of work:wink:
Just don't have an accident and it's no work! ;) Been with them for 3 maybe even 4 years now and they've never asked for a video.

Reactions: AlS3BE
Was reading last week that due to the majority of Car Insurance policies being placed via online sites that prices are now automatically increasing as it’s obviously the most popular and the easiest to compare companies and prices.
However the article mentioned motorists should now try talking with Insurance Brokers and stay away from the online companies.
As in general the brokers are now dropping their prices for us motorists.
So worth a phone call to a broker, or drop into one of their local offices.

Nothing to lose if you have some spare time, you may just save a few quid as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've always rang. Much easier and most (if you're polite to them) will actually make suggestions to help lower it. Always worth playing around with job title too, saved me £200!

Was reading last week that due to the majority of Car Insurance policies being placed via online sites that prices are now automatically increasing as it’s obviously the most popular and the easiest to compare companies and prices.
However the article mentioned motorists should now try talking with Insurance Brokers and stay away from the online companies.
As in general the brokers are now dropping their prices for us motorists.
So worth a phone call to a broker, or drop into one of their local offices.

Nothing to lose if you have some spare time, you may just save a few quid as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That’s what I did last year. Used Chris Knotts on here and it’s not underwritten by Mickey Mouse insurance either. Some of the ones on comparison websites have underwriters with questionable names.

Here we go! Another insurance thread! You all know that anything anyone says about the insurance price they pay is completely pointless. No one will be the same, nearly no one will benefit from any advice given as there are so many variables! So pointless!! just to throw it in... I’m paying 1200 a year. I live in Switzerland and am 35. Im with AXA. Hope that helps someone!!

Disclaimer: light hearted post!

Reactions: wab172uk and Ron240
Here we go! Another insurance thread! You all know that anything anyone says about the insurance price they pay is completely pointless. No one will be the same, nearly no one will benefit from any advice given as there are so many variables! So pointless!! just to throw it in... I’m paying 1200 a year. I live in Switzerland and am 35. Im with AXA. Hope that helps someone!!
Completely agree it's stupid to compare. As you say, so many variables. Plenty of topics on here and the internet with general tips on saving money. Topic has probably been discussed to death at this point

Reactions: richinsoton, Ron240, dannyboy1985 and 1 other person
The whole thing is f*cked tbh. When I got my car in Feb, £1140 with no NCB, now 10 months after (Admiral's 10 month policy), cheapest could get it to was around £1400 and that was with some persuasion. No crashes/claims anything since getting my insurance the first time; 1 year older (makes a big difference at my age), 1 year NCB and 10 months more driving experience. Pull the numbers out of thin air

The whole thing is f*cked tbh. When I got my car in Feb, £1140 with no NCB, now 10 months after (Admiral's 10 month policy), cheapest could get it to was around £1400 and that was with some persuasion. No crashes/claims anything since getting my insurance the first time; 1 year older (makes a big difference at my age), 1 year NCB and 10 months more driving experience. Pull the numbers out of thin air
Don't worry I'm in the same boat, if not a worse one One of the "joys" of driving.

I’ve come from the states 5 years since I’ve done my test 33 no faults... it’s half the price if I add the mrs as a second driver yet still expensive.. how do you even work that out haha

Direct Line upped my insurance to a similar price this year and would not budge when I called them. Ended up going with the Halifax who charged slightly less than DL last year. 44, nine years no claims and clean licence.

Renewal quotes are a total **** take, my 3 x multicar from Admiral came in today at a price I didn't like the look of. Phone call later it was reduced by almost £400, verging on fraud and should be illegal IMO.

Funnily enough they wouldn't quote me online, after reading the post above I now know why, shady bxxxxxxs.

Reactions: Jassyo06
May help someone, if you are in a couple or have a multicar policy try playing around with who you have as the principal policy holder. In previous years my Dad had been the principal policy holder with me listed on the policy still owning my car and being the main driver, but when I went to renew in Nov the price had risen from £600 to £1100!

Anyway we then added my Mum as the principal policy holder with all the details the same and that altered the price back to £600. When I filled the details out online as a *new* customer it got brought down to £450 for my car so after a bit of work I saved myself a fair bit.

So, 5 Years NCB protected and 23 years old, but £600 excess :whistle2:

Direct line are always expensive.

I've been with Admiral for years now. Always the cheapest. But I do have a multicar policy. I pay around £700 for 2 cars. An S3 and a Twingo RS. I put my house insurance on last year, and it only went up by a small amount, compared to paying a couple hundred pounds separately for house insurance.

Even when I had a MK7 Golf GTI Performance, and an R8, it was only £700 a year.

Every insurance company increases the policy amount each year. I used to phone around, or search on-line etc. Don't even bother these days. Whatever the renewal quote is, I just phone them up, and say I can get it £100 cheaper elsewhere. 5 mins later £100 is knocked off. I've done this for years, and have always paid around the same amount each year.

Admiral multicar was the only choice for me when renewed on the S3 .. it was like literally half the price compared to anyone else.. I think £1300 was the cheapest I got, Admiral multicar was like 600/700... But with like 4 drivers and a few cars its a right pain to go changing things to see "what works best".

Random question, does anyone know how having kids under 16 effects the price? They always ask how many kids under 16 the driver has and I just wonder if this increases or decreases the cost. On one hand, you could say people with kids in the car will drive more carefully, but it could also be seen as a distraction from driving. Does anyone have experience or knowledge?

Random question, does anyone know how having kids under 16 effects the price? They always ask how many kids under 16 the driver has and I just wonder if this increases or decreases the cost. On one hand, you could say people with kids in the car will drive more carefully, but it could also be seen as a distraction from driving. Does anyone have experience or knowledge?
Made no difference for me. Having the mrs on it halves my premium somehow and she’s had a claim a few years back.

Reactions: AG1996
I think there are 3 points that are the main bits of advice we can take from any insurance thread. Firstly, add a wife or mum to the policy as 2nd driver. Secondly, you can make your mum or wife the policyholder but make yourself the main driver. This is not the same as "fronting" as you are the main driver. Thirdly, do not accept the insurance renewal price instantly. Put a calendar reminder or whatever you use for your organisation skills, and around 3/4 weeks before renewal, start searching online. My mum's renewal with LV was 600, up from 400ish. Go figure! Simple 2-minute online search got the price for her Captur down to 350.

Reactions: AlS3BE
. Firstly, add a wife or mum to the policy as 2nd driver. Secondly, you can make your mum or wife the policyholder but make yourself the main driver.
What are the impacts of having a parent as a policyholder? Assume all things like NCB still go to yourself as you're the main driver? What are the implications of this? Just curious as mine is expensive (not that it is an issue, knew it would be the case) but as with everyone, if you can save some money, why not!

Reactions: Ormesome
I think there are 3 points that are the main bits of advice we can take from any insurance thread. Firstly, add a wife or mum to the policy as 2nd driver. Secondly, you can make your mum or wife the policyholder but make yourself the main driver. This is not the same as "fronting" as you are the main driver. Thirdly, do not accept the insurance renewal price instantly. Put a calendar reminder or whatever you use for your organisation skills, and around 3/4 weeks before renewal, start searching online. My mum's renewal with LV was 600, up from 400ish. Go figure! Simple 2-minute online search got the price for her Captur down to 350.
I always thought that adding my mum (and/or dad) to my policy would decrease the price, which it did for the first first years when I started driving. But last year this actually changed and having them on my policy (24 years old) put the price up. Likewise my dad being on my mums policy put hers up.

Not sure if its something to do with their age now as he is over 60.

What are the impacts of having a parent as a policyholder? Assume all things like NCB still go to yourself as you're the main driver? What are the implications of this? Just curious as mine is expensive (not that it is an issue, knew it would be the case) but as with everyone, if you can save some money, why not!

Do not know. You will have to google it. When you go online you can put your mum's details all in for example as policyholder, then add yourself as an extra driver. After that, there is an option on the last page usually to state who is the main driver.

I would be careful with things like excess etc... as it changes for each driver. But if that is covered then there is no problem.

I would be careful with things like excess etc... as it changes for each driver. But if that is covered then there is no problem.
Thanks mate, mine isn't due till September anyway, will finally be able to use Chrisk Knott etc as old enough :) My excess is already insane (£1.1k) due to my age already, so doubt it'd be an issue.

Read the beginning of the thread and agree comparing each other is not very useful. I work in insurance (not motor so I can't get good deals!) so I know a bit about the industry.

Mine is due shortly and I will just add that I found it cheapest to do a multi-car quotation (i.e. add my other car when it's due later in the year) with Admiral, as my renewal with Churchill is £600 (I'm 35 with 9 years NCD, fully comp, £250 voluntary XS, legal cover) and for both my cars (other car for 8 months) Admiral came in at £740 (annual premium for my other car is around £300 so works out a good deal).

Hope this helps someone

EDIT: just seen that others have mentioned this in the posts I didn't read...