Help Please Car doesn't release fob

S3 Rav

Reaction score
Evening all.

The a4 (b8) seems to have developed an issue where the dash sometimes fails to release the fob when switching off the ignition.

I literally have to keep starting up the car and then switching it off again to then try and release the fob.

There are no warning lights on the dash.

Any help / advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Rav.

Read a few reports of sticky keys. Have you tried your spare key just to rule out anything with the keys?

Apparently the ignition lock isn't coded to the key so can be replaced. There's a video on YouTube that lacks any details (read the comments too) but shows the use of lithium grease I assume on a strip down and rebuild. Not sure if it was new parts? Also mention of cleaning relay contact under the spring.

Also a link here but is linked to a dash fault: http://www.vwaudiforum.co.uk/forum/showthread.php/155874-Audi-a4-b8-ignition-switch-fault

Reactions: S3 Rav
Thanks for this Spartacus. I'll have watch of the video and read of the comments. I "think" I've tried both sets but might just try again to double check!

Reactions: spartacus 68
I had a similar problem. I cleaned all the crap out of the notches on the keys with cotton buds and “method” kitchen spray (other cleaners are available).
I also cleaned the key slot out with an alcohol wipe. Seemed to do the trick.
It does get stuck once in a blue moon, but I find if you’re positive with your push that sorts it.

Reactions: spartacus 68
Common B8 issue, given the time to remove clean & still not work 100%, I always look at new unit cost with convenience of working everytime against trying to fix as time has a cost too, unless its £500 then I'd suggest you replace the ignition socket.

Like Cashutt, I had compacted dust in the slots in the key fob which caused mine to stick. Used a toothpick to clean it.

Okay so maybe mine is sticky as I find that I have to push the key in and then pull it straight back out to release it, I was told to do it this way by the guy that sold it to me lol! I did think it was a bit of a faf as the one in the Swede tank is just press button and it then ejects the key...

Mine is like that, never feels really willing- but it's such a crap gimmick .
Give me a proper old-fashioned key!