Can you sell a 5 week old S3?

EddieRS3

Reaction score
Basically I might be looking to sell my new s3, had it a few weeks from new and I love it, but I am considering the Rs3 and I am wondering if any have ever sold such a new car? I know I'll lose money, but just how much I dont know! Do people buy cars for like 30k in cash? Or is it usually through a dealer?

i would say it will be 9 months old before a new order RS3 arrives at your dealer unless you're buying an ex demo o_0

Reactions: RYuill
Not great financially for you but there is obviously a market......someone will snap your hand off.

Reactions: lyallr
I know it will be a long time, but I don't like to gamble on where I will be financially. I'd rather sell the S3 now, get a car through work for X amount of months until the Rs arrives and I know what I am getting into then rather than guessing how much it will be worth etc.

Speak to your dealership you've already lost 20% vat as you know doubt know.
Private sale is a viable option but selling it quickly unlikely,for such a new car,
Best of luck
Ps RS3 demonstrators range between £40-£50
Most are priced around £45k there's some really nice one's spread across the UK dealerships
Also it's due a wee mild facelift
May delivery max for new non facelift,minimum late 2016 for wee facelift more like 2017

Last edited:
Not 100% true mate, I know what you're saying, but if his car was £40,000 he will still get more than £32,000 for it. The value of his/anyones car for that matter isn't diminished automatically by 20% VAT. The value of all used cars are relative to what it would cost to buy the same car new :)

Reactions: davc, RGBARGEE, DangerS3 and 2 others
Private sale is a viable option but selling it quickly unlikely,for such a new car,
Best of luck
Ps RS3 demonstrators range between £40-£50
Most are priced around £45k there's some really nice one's spread across the UK dealerships
Also it's due a wee mild facelift
May delivery max for new non facelift,minimum late 2016 for wee facelift more like 2017

Are they genuinely due that facelift? I can't wait until 2017 whats the point! Is it just the matrix dashboard that's changing? I am not sure I'd buy a demo... I am borrowing one on Monday for the whole day and I sure won't be driving at 5 mph everywhere.

Are they genuinely due that facelift? I can't wait until 2017 whats the point! Is it just the matrix dashboard that's changing? I am not sure I'd buy a demo... I am borrowing one on Monday for the whole day and I sure won't be driving at 5 mph everywhere.
Audi will reveal details of the very mild changes in November it's said expect new style grill exterior lighting and few changes to alloy options etc

25 used RS's on Autotrader maybe a good option as they've probably taken a similar hit.

Reactions: DAYTONA 500
25 used RS's on Autotrader maybe a good option as they've probably taken a similar hit.

The problem is - they actually haven't.

The problem is, they actually haven't. They are virtually all RRP. I know you get it now rather than later, but if I have to end up waiting I will do, and I get to spec it how I want.

Reactions: Rob2k68
The problem is - they actually haven't.

The problem is, they actually haven't. They are virtually all RRP. I know you get it now rather than later, but if I have to end up waiting I will do, and I get to spec it how I want.

RS3 2

RS3 3

These 2 are the best of all the Audi approved RS3's 47k and 50k the white is fully loaded everything the Daytona is not far behind

Last edited:
Reactions: EddieRS3
What's the spec and the asking price ? With a 2-3 months waiting list there must be people out there interested. I've just placed an order but was a cash buyer for a few weeks but couldn't find the right nearly new car so ended up ordering a new one. Would have preferred a very new private car.

Reactions: EddieRS3
It's decent spec for me, ibis, 3 door, tech pack high, comfort pack, cruise, folding mirrors, B&O ! It's a beautiful car and I do love it, just thinking the rs3 might do a bit more for me !

It's decent spec for me, ibis, 3 door, tech pack high, comfort pack, cruise, folding mirrors, B&O ! It's a beautiful car and I do love it, just thinking the rs3 might do a bit more for me !
Get a tuning box or a remap mate and save yourself 9,250 quid

Reactions: batch and mister.c.
Get a tuning box or a remap mate and save yourself 9,250 quid

Think of the mods you could get for a fraction of the money it would cost you to trade in for an RS3...

Remap stage 2
Coilovers
ARBS
RS3 grill
Alacantra steering wheel re-trim
Exhaust upgrade
CAI
Big brake kit
Turbo upgrade

The above would give you a car that would probably out pace and offer better handling than a stock RS3. Worth a thought surely.

Think of the mods you could get for a fraction of the money it would cost you to trade in for an RS3...

Remap stage 2
Coilovers
ARBS
RS3 grill
Exhaust upgrade
CAI
Big brake kit
Turbo upgrade

The above would give you a car that would probably out pace and offer better handling than a stock RS3. Worth a thought surely.

I have thought about it but - I do like the 2.5 and I love the sound, I like the presence of the Rs3 on the road also, and I have never been into modding cars beyond a remap/exhaust ! And I think about resale value too much. Maybe I think too much haha

Reactions: Jassyo06
Not into mods at all like yourself fooks up warranty,hey Eddie you seem very determined for the RS3 go for it,and the end of the day it's all down to money hope you get what you want remember photo's

Wouldn't bother, not worth the premium.

^ Do you think someone should start a thread titled, "Is the RS3 worth the premium over the S3"?

Not sure we'd get many replies though. :p

Reactions: Simon L, Martinbanshee, batch and 7 others
How about 'Is the S3 a bargain compared to the RS3 ?' Hehe

Reactions: davc, Simon L, veeeight and 1 other person
I know what you are saying with these, but sadly I am a PCP guy and buying second hand with PCP just puts the monthly cost way up! If I had 50k of disposable cash, I wouldn't be buying a car!

Also - Absolutely love every single suggestion there, the Lexus especially
I don't know how much you are throwing into your PCP deal, but take a look here http://www.porsche.com/uk/models/cayman/cayman/finance/

Reactions: AndyB-S3, Jassyo06, veeeight and 1 other person
Unfortunately no matter how much we love our cars and rant and rave about how much we've lost they simply are not worth as much as we would like. My 3 month old £31k S3 is probably worth £24k if I'm lucky. When you buy a car for £30K and slap 5 grand of options on it, those options are for you and not to add value. Yes your car is more desirable but it is not worth more money. It's still a £30K car minus vat and depreciation. Yes the dealer may give you more, but that is simply discount on a new car or he's hoping it can make it back somewhere else. And yes he will now stick your lovely car that you put loads of options on and sold cheap at a stupidly high price, to help make up for the next punter that want's loads of money for their car they are bringing in.

This is fundamental to buying and selling cars and one of the reasons I don't do it anymore because people just don't get it and end up being in a mood with you. :)

This still goes out to the Muppet in a Corsa who wanted to knock my head off because I told you your car would be worth more if you returned it back to stock and got rid of the wheels, big spoiler, lowered springs and decals down the side. :whistle2:

Reactions: CHEZ
This still goes out to the Muppet in a Corsa who wanted to knock my head off because I told you your car would be worth more if you returned it back to stock and got rid of the wheels, big spoiler, lowered springs and decals down the side. :whistle2:

lmao you could be talking about my nephew there! He has a 1.2 Corsa and has done the bigger wheels, tints, dark lights, mudflaps, noisy exhaust, smoothed the bumper, talking about lowering it!!! Oh and the wind deflectors....I suppose we were all 19 once :D

Unfortunately no matter how much we love our cars and rant and rave about how much we've lost they simply are not worth as much as we would like. My 3 month old £31k S3 is probably worth £24k if I'm lucky. When you buy a car for £30K and slap 5 grand of options on it, those options are for you and not to add value. Yes your car is more desirable but it is not worth more money. It's still a £30K car minus vat and depreciation. Yes the dealer may give you more, but that is simply discount on a new car or he's hoping it can make it back somewhere else. And yes he will now stick your lovely car that you put loads of options on and sold cheap at a stupidly high price, to help make up for the next punter that want's loads of money for their car they are bringing in.

This is fundamental to buying and selling cars and one of the reasons I don't do it anymore because people just don't get it and end up being in a mood with you. :)

Whoooo...Calm down mate...if the member wants to change...and pay so be it,it's his hard earned money at the end of the day

we all know about car depreciation

S32B.....THAT'S A CRACKING DEAL..on the Cayman,very similar to my S3 deal minus 1700 deposit/4 years all the same

Didn't realise I was agitated. :)

I was merely reitterating what you had already said about the vat loss. Most people seem to get upset with that idea and I was merely trying to explain it from a dealers point of view. Unfortunatley not everyone falls in to the "we all know about car depreciation" category, some people still think they will only lose 1 or 2 thousand when selling their six month old car. :)

Totally agree with you, it's up to the OP and if he's happy to lose the money no one should try to stop him. As long as you're realistic you should never be upset with what you are quoted. I thought my car would be worth £24k if I was lucky and after a quick check on we buy any car it was £24.5K so I was happy.

I'd love an RS3 but the bank account couldn't stretch to it to I settled for the S3. :)

Didn't realise I was agitated. :)

I was merely reitterating what you had already said about the vat loss. Most people seem to get upset with that idea and I was merely trying to explain it from a dealers point of view. Unfortunatley not everyone falls in to the "we all know about car depreciation" category, some people still think they will only lose 1 or 2 thousand when selling their six month old car. :)

Totally agree with you, it's up to the OP and if he's happy to lose the money no one should try to stop him. As long as you're realistic you should never be upset with what you are quoted. I thought my car would be worth £24k if I was lucky and after a quick check on we buy any car it was £24.5K so I was happy.

I'd love an RS3 but the bank account couldn't stretch to it to I settled for the S3. :)

Yeah 100% agree with you chopping in a nearly new car is going to be a huge financial loss to anyone. l am in 4 year Audi pcp like most on here ,but plan to change/order before or on the 3rd year of the deal couldn't live with any car more than 3 years

Reactions: Rob2k68
Same here. 4 year pcp and hoping at 3 years it will even out so I can change. I love new cars but the initial hit is always the killer.

Remap stage 2
Coilovers
ARBS
RS3 grill
Exhaust upgrade
CAI
Big brake kit
Turbo upgrade

Yep and we will find out how much faster a modded up s3 is than the rs3 next month

Yep and we will find out how much faster a modded up s3 is than the rs3 next month

That's not my purpose modifying new car's

You can spend thousands of pounds modifying, but it will never be a Rs3
And voids warranty, big issue also is insurance premiums go through the roof

Reactions: Simon L

lmao you could be talking about my nephew there! He has a 1.2 Corsa and has done the bigger wheels, tints, dark lights, mudflaps, noisy exhaust, smoothed the bumper, talking about lowering it!!! Oh and the wind deflectors....I suppose we were all 19 once :D

Just thought I'd update this: After telling him numerous times to keep the car standard, or to inform the insurance of any changes he made to the car (to which he took no notice), he had his insurance renewal the other week!

Last year it was £700, this year obviously he's a year older and has another years NCB, yet his renewal came in at £1,900!!! One company even wanted a picture of his car before they would quote him! He eventually got it for £900, BUT he had to put the car back to standard before they would insure him.

I asked him if he had been stopped by the police at any point, thinking that they had informed his insurance company that the car wasn't standard. He was adamant that he hadn't been stopped, had no points or bumps! Oh, for a couple of weeks he'd also been driving around without the front number plate on 'because it looked cool' :blink:

So to get insured this year he had to buy a new exhaust and front bumper and put all the rest back to how it was...I just said "Expensive lesson wasn't it?", to which he replied "Mmmm".

Reactions: richinsoton

I'll give you £24k for your 3 month old car. Someone will pay £27-28k for that not wanting to wait 12-16 week for a new one and got essentially a brand new car but saved £5,000.

Barely get a used s3 for less than £25k on autotrader, the ones that are there are high mileage early cars! Like mine!