Can DIS be retrofitted????

Deanphoto

fell down the stairs :(
Reaction score
Website
www.deanphoto.co.uk
Evening all, I cocked up on my order for the car and didn't add DIS, I thought I was told it was standard on the special edition...I was proven wrong though...

I have 2 questions regarding this....

1). Can it be retro-fitted? (Big job I imagine)

2). If I was to install RNS-E (and cruie for that matter), would it work without DIS??

Not sure if anyone can answer this one as from the various forum I follow nobody has retro-fitted DIS

I retro-fitted the DIS trip computer to my Dad's B7 A4, I know its not the same car but I cant see why you cant just change the wiper stalk for one that has the trip compuer buttons on and then re-program it with VAG-COM like I did for the A4.

Cruise and RNS-E will work fine with no DIS.

Well thats good news about the RNS-E and cruise!

I thought the LCD screens differ between DIS and non DIS though as mine has lots of symbols on it, door open etc etc, I could post a pic tomorrow.:confused:

I've never been too clear on non-DIS cars tbh.

When the A3 first came out, cars without DIS had a panel in its place with little symbols for various warnings and so on, like the other standard symbols inside the rev counter and speedo.

A while later I was told that all cars now came with the LCD screen but non-DIS cars simply had the vast majority of functions disabled so it didn't do much. That made sense as they don't have to build two different instrument binnacles.

Now, from what you're saying, it sounds like you have the original panel of symbols rather than the LCD?

Vertigo1 said:
Now, from what you're saying, it sounds like you have the original panel of symbols rather than the LCD?

Spot on!

This is what is making me think it might be a BIG job, and probably not worth it.:keule:

I'll take some photo's tonight when I get home at silly o'clock and post them up so you can see what I mean.

Cheers for your help so far!

When you say retrofit you mean changing the whole instrument panel anyway don't you? They're different.