Broken S3 Recaro Advice.

alijames

Reaction score
Hi All,

Just bought a 2002/51 S3 with heated black leather interior. The passenger backrest was stuck at ~45degrees, so after looking through the forums, took a chance and bought it anyway, with a wedge off the asking for a replacement motor as I thought, you never know, it might just be a microswitch, or even a simple electrical problem, but worst case should be the motor.

Sadly, after having the seat out and partly stripping it down it appears to be more serious with twisted bits of metal dropping out as I started taking it apart, and the lever to tilt the seat to get into the rear does not work either.

Soooo, the big question, anyone know of somewhere to get it repaired, or anyone know of any salvaged seats going? If necessary, I'll forgo the heat on the passenger seat.

There's a complete interior on Ebay, but without heated, and somewhat more than I want to pay.

Any other recommended breakers, etc?

Located near Oxford, but will travel if necessary.

Cheers,

Update!! The motor & switches seems to work now. The seat just won't stay upright. It just flops down when I let go.

Cheers,

Alistair

i have the same prob with my seat, what and how did you strip it down?

thought this was a design fault....am i right in saying that the only problem you now have is the fact that the seat wont stay forward when for example, your letting someone in the back

thought this was a design fault....am i right in saying that the only problem you now have is the fact that the seat wont stay forward when for example, your letting someone in the back

Not quite. I've not been able to tilt the seat, for access to the rear seats, at all.

For a while, I had the backrest moving with the motor, provided I supported it and 'helped it up'. If I let go, it would flop back down to 45degrees. However, now it seems to have locked in the 'flopped' position and won't budge at all. Grrrr!

Cheers,

Think thats sumat to do with the cable snapping...... more than likely.... someone will correct me if im wrong....

Dave..... copy and pasted from you favourites mate?:laugh:

Think thats sumat to do with the cable snapping...... more than likely.... someone will correct me if im wrong....

Dave..... copy and pasted from you favourites mate?:laugh:

AFAICT, the cable is to slide the seat forward to let passengers in, and does not seem to have any effect on the backrest movement, and it has definitely not snapped.

Has anyone ever removed the backrest upholstery to get at the reclining mechanism and motor? I can't seem to figure it out, and the A3 interior manual is not very helpful...

Cheers,

Has anyone ever removed the backrest upholstery to get at the reclining mechanism and motor? I can't seem to figure it out, and the A3 interior manual is not very helpful...

I'd be interested in any advice on this as well, as the lumbar support on my drivers seat just clicks when you try and adjust it. The car is very comfortable to drive but occasionally get a dodgy lower back and could do with a bit more lumbar support

I'd be interested in any advice on this as well, as the lumbar support on my drivers seat just clicks when you try and adjust it. The car is very comfortable to drive but occasionally get a dodgy lower back and could do with a bit more lumbar support

So you are not quite 'the man that can' at the moment then?:wacko:

Seriously, I certainly will keep all advised of progress. Seeing as I upgraded from an MX5 to an S3 for the sake of extra seats, I've still only got a 2 seater at the moment!!!

Cheers,