Brake fade. I think

Phil-1

Regional Rep
Reaction score
Website
www.philseagust.co.uk
I have never experienced brake fade before, but after 3 hours on the motorway with some hard braking due to traffic and idiots pulling out in front of me. I came up slip road and found I had to press a lot harder than normal and when we got to our destination the wheels were so hot I couldn't touch them.

My discs are slightly lipped and the pads are about 50% would this be the problem?

If I have to change the discs and pads what would you recommend for everyday driving and the odd bit of fast road driving?

Thanks Phil

Braking in normal driving conditions shouldn't cause fade even with lipping & 50% pad wear.

How old is the fluid?

It's an MY09 A3. I had just been doing a good 70+20mph when I had to brake hard down to zero as I almost missed the junction.

The car has had full Audi servicing so should have been changed if needed.

It should be changed every two years regardless! Check your service log book to be sure, it'll be marked as done.

Oh, a couple of instances of hard braking shouldn't cause fade ...unless you're overloaded.

Reactions: S3Alex
It's an MY09 A3. I had just been doing a good 70+20mph when I had to brake hard down to zero as I almost missed the junction.

The car has had full Audi servicing so should have been changed if needed.

Remind me not to drive behind you! :ohmy:

Reactions: Artimus
Ok. Will check the service book. Might look at some new discs, pads and fluid change.

I have 312mm discs and would like something different than the standard setup, what would you recommend?

Lol, it shouldn't be a problem, he has no brakes anyway. :)

In my defence I was slowing down for the slip road when someone came across all 3 lanes and almost stopped on the slip road. :)

I have always thought the brakes should have been a bit better than they are.

Reactions: Artimus
Ok. Will check the service book. Might look at some new discs, pads and fluid change.

I have 312mm discs and would like something different than the standard setup, what would you recommend?

I think you should downgrade your brakes, this way if you miss a junction, you won't be tempted to emergency brake instead of ground round the block/next junction.

Just messin'

I think you should downgrade your brakes, this way if you miss a junction, you won't be tempted to emergency brake instead of ground round the block/next junction.

Just messin'

:)

It was after the hard braking I noticed the lack of brakes. At the next junction I had to press a lot harder.

I was thinking of some grooved discs and yellow stuff pads.

:)

It was after the hard braking I noticed the lack of brakes. At the next junction I had to press a lot harder.

I was thinking of some grooved discs and yellow stuff pads.

If you really want significantly better brakes then a big brake kit is the best option.

Otherwise a set of Ferodo DS2500 pads are a cheap but reasonable option along with fluid change.

EBC .... Thought they were as poor as the stock brakes and pads personally.

If you really want significantly better brakes then a big brake kit is the best option.

Otherwise a set of Ferodo DS2500 pads are a cheap but reasonable option along with fluid change.

EBC .... Thought they were as poor as the stock brakes and pads personally.

Thanks

I don't want track spec brakes, just better than what I have at the moment.

Don't want to start changing callipers etc. Was thinking different discs and pads. Will have a look at the Ferodo pads.

Thanks

I don't want track spec brakes, just better than what I have at the moment.

Don't want to start changing callipers etc. Was thinking different discs and pads. Will have a look at the Ferodo pads.

ZeroSixty discs and a set of Ferodo pads should help.

Brake Fluid change is not part of the usual service regime.

It's an extra, so it may not have been changed.

Thanks. Never heard of Zero Sixty.

I've got a set of their rear discs with Mintex 1155 pads on fronts and rears.

I think you'd probably find those a bit on the aggressive side whereas the Ferodos work well for everyday road use.

After a reasonably steady drive home 200 miles average speed 60mph and no harsh braking. The wheel were cold to the touch and no brake fade.

Will look at some nice discs and pads over the coming weeks.

Was this an attack at your large frame phil? lol

I did think that ;-)

I think it was solely down to the hard braking on the motorway then the next dozen roundabouts that I had brake fade, it was bad and did slow me down.

Planning to change the front discs and pads as I am hard on my brakes.

Reactions: Andy1608
lol, No attack there guys! I was referring to any load\luggage you might have been carrying - you said you'd been driving for 3 hours and I assumed you might have been going on holiday or something.

:blush:

Reactions: Andy1608
lol, No attack there guys! I was referring to any load\luggage you might have been carrying - you said you'd been driving for 3 hours and I assumed you might have been going on holiday or something.

:blush:

Don't worry

We were going away for the weekend. 2 adults of average size and 2 kids.

I have always been heavy on the brakes ;-)

Looking to do a brake fluid change and disc/ pad change soon.

I think it was down to the very harsh braking I had to do then the next 10miles of roundabouts. Milton Keynes :)

Yea, Milton Keynes is round-about city. I try to stay away from that place as much as possible! The grid layout is fine, but round-abouts instead of lights or give-ways at every junction was a dumb decision, it's excruciating for a driver and hard on cars too.

I have some lipping on my 09 discs too, but the brake fluid was changed last year at a warranty service! I had a faulty horn replaced under warranty in March this year & the health check says the brakes are fine. But I'll probably get mine done next year just to be on the safe side.

We went to see my brother and sister in law in Bletchley. The roundabouts are a nightmare.
I'm going to get the brake fluid changed then will fit new discs and pads all round. Just need to find the right parts.