Brake and Coilover issue

czm

Reaction score
Over the weekend I replaced my front discs and pads on my 2004 A4 Avant 190 Bex.

All went fine and replaced with Drilled and Grooved Black Diamond disks and Green stuff pads.
The car has been fitted with TEIN super street coilovers which have been great; I have not set them as slammed, more a sporty stance with plenty of threads left if I want to go lower in the future.

The problem is that since I replaced the Pads/Discs yesterday I have had the dreaded knocking/loose clunky noise going at a low speed from the coilovers.

I fitted the pads/disc while I have the front of the car on axle stands.

I had noticed the knocking/clunky very slightly before I changed the brakes but it has got a lot worse since the weekend after installing the pads/discs.

Anybody have any ideas on why and what I can do/check to eliminate that annoying knocking/loose clunky noise?
I know the brake install is OK as I have checked and double checked it, maybe something has not aligned correctly when the car was taken off the axle stands and under load??

Any suggestions are welcome

Are you sure the anti rattle pins are in............looks like coat hanger wire on the side of the caliper.

Are the shocks in good condition - no leaks?
Sometimes worn suspension ball joints can exaggerate knocking noises - what were the suspension topmounts like when the coilovers were fitted?

Thanks guys

yes the anti rattle pins were fitted back in, they were the original ones. Do they get loose over time? The knocking sounds like something quite heavy so I am not sure if it would be calipers knocking. Might be thou???

The top mounts seemed fine when the coilovers were fitted but again I have nothing to compare them to?

There should be a little effort to reinstall them otherwide should be fine

Find a bad road with a few pot holes and go over it, but at the same time whilst holding the brakes slightly. If the noise goes away then its your brake pads.

Had a similar issue however this was on stock suspension and it was making this clonking noise. What I did was open the brakes up and fitted again and put a bit of grease on the backing plate and all was good again.