Brake advice

JGRS3

Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm looking for a bit of advice on my front brake pads. I'm not very hands on with this stuff so be gentle please!

I did a track day at Bedford autodrome around a month ago and had an awesome time (Highly recommended if anyone is considering a track day- fantastic straights, huge run off areas and not much to crash in to). I had some instruction half way through my day and it pushed me and the car to levels I hadn't been to before. Unfortunately I don't think I cooled the brakes down properly and when I came into the pits they were smoking and making a weird crackling sound whilst stationary. I tried to go off and do a couple more very gentle cool down laps, but I think the damage was already done to the front pads. Car has only done 5k miles with OEM pads and there is plenty of pad left, but they look pretty horrendous now (See attached pic)! Since the track day brake performance has been a bit jittery and there's a slight rumble/judder when braking from higher speeds like coming off a motorway sliproad.

I'm assuming I need to replace the front pads, and I was hoping for some advice. I've been quite happy with the OEM pads and the car is mostly used by my wife for family driving, but on the weekends we enjoy blasting the countryside on B roads. I also plan to do a couple of track days per year. Based on this am I best off going for the OEM pads again (And if so do I have do buy these from Audi?), or should I consider EBC blue stuff pads. I saw another thread where people were talking about these, but there seemed to be some fitment issues...

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 121
If considering track work then brakes and or pads etc should be uprated imho.

Those pads look ****** to me!

TX.

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk

If considering track work then brakes and or pads etc should be uprated imho.

Those pads look ****** to me!

TX.

The OEM brakes/pads were surprisingly good...for half of the one track day I did at least . I think I would probably just look to upgrade the pads for now.

O/t but when I had my M2C I upgraded the pads and brake lines. Car was immense on track after that.

TX.

Reactions: JGRS3
Hi guys, just got my car in to my local independent garage today trying to fit the below pads and they have said they can't fit them without new wear wire sensors? I wasn't really aware of these...Is this true? Can the old sensors be re-used or do I need to buy new ones from Audi?

Hi guys, just got my car in to my local independent garage today trying to fit the below pads and they have said they can't fit them without new wear wire sensors? I wasn't really aware of these...Is this true? Can the old sensors be re-used or do I need to buy new ones from Audi?

View attachment 263564
RS3 front brakes

Item 11 around £27.00

I was you hoping you would reply @8YARWY . You respond so fast!! Just to confirm this item would work with the EBC pads I've got? Also is that the same cable for front and rear brakes?
Have the pads a cut out for it to go ?
your Guy should check this really

Rears usually have a wire already attached to one pad of one side (usually Passenger side)

If the EBC don't have rear wire then you'll have to modify the multiplug by bridging the 2 wires together.

Last edited:
Let me check when I go to pick up the car in an hour or so.

Let me check when I go to pick up the car in an hour or so.
Looks to me like the fronts have the correct cutout for the sensor to clip in

The Rears look to have the wire as well

Screencapture ebcbrakesdirect automotive audi rs3 2 50 Petrol Turbo 2021 153904 2023 01 26 16 Screencapture ebcbrakesdirect automotive audi rs3 2 50 Petrol Turbo 2021 153904 2023 01 26 16

Reactions: RS03???
Cheers- you’re spot on. I just need to buy the wire for each front. Not too bad!

There’s generally just one wire on one side of the fronts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: RS03???
Yes EBC blue stuff was same, rear has built in wire sensor however front only has the recess to install the sensor.

@8YARWY do you know if OEM front is reusable/removable to install on new front pad?

The kind of wear indicator that is on the front installation is reusable as long as it hasn't come into contact with the rotor, i.e. hasn't actually provided a brakes worn indication. They can be removed by gently teasing them out of the old pad with a small flat-blade screwdriver.

Reactions: RS03??? and eleven_
The kind of wear indicator that is on the front installation is reusable as long as it hasn't come into contact with the rotor, i.e. hasn't actually provided a brakes worn indication. They can be removed by gently teasing them out of the old pad with a small flat-blade screwdriver.
Thanks mate, that’s what i was hoping!

Reactions: JGRS3 and Scooby216