Bose Speakers - how to tell?

akz786

Reaction score
I am looking to purchase an S3 pref a facelift with as many options as possible. Ok simple question. BOSE system will say BOSE on the stereo when switched on correct? but....I have seen some cars with BOSE badges on the grills and some with none which apparently have a BOSE system? does that mean the speaker upgrade is diff to the headunit? or am i missing something here?

TIA

Akbar

No, early models didn't have the badges. Have a look at the sub in the boot (nearside rear quarter), that should have Bose written on it.

The only definitive way to tell is to look at the sub as Hotscar said, the Bose sub has two 4" drivers, the non Bose one has a single 6.5" driver.

thanks guys really appreciate the help! that makes sense.

The "BOSE" on the display when you switch the HU on is purely cosmetic and can be switched on/off using VAGCOM so doesn't really mean anything

i have bose system in my 2001 s3 and it has bose written on the front speaker covers and the amp on the o/s rear of my boot,but the sub just looks like a standard audi one,why could this be.

i have seen this before, baffled me but not enough to ask, as i havent got Bose....... I have a tape recorder (AA battery powered) taped to my dash to replace the symphony system

It's the same tupperware enclosure (which is why it farts & rumbles so much), the only difference is the amp inside the enclosure and the front panel which is black plastic instead of silver metal & houses two 4" drivers instead of a single 6.5" unit. It also has BOSE embossed down the front.
Here's the 2 together, Bose on the left, non Bose on the right:
OEMSubs.jpg

just checked mine is bose but it sounds as if the sub is blown surely a bose one shouldnt blow that esy i hardly blast out my music.

danotto said:
just checked mine is bose but it sounds as if the sub is blown surely a bose one shouldnt blow that esy i hardly blast out my music.

Prob not blown mate, they just sound **** anyway!

hmmm thats interesting you would have thought that all speaker grills would have an emblem on them, ive seen a few 2001 facelift cars without them and then 2001 /51 on wards with an emblem

Like you mentioned Andymac, its regarding the sub, so il look for this.

Also did the BOSE option only come with a 6 CD changer or was there a 12 CD option?

Thanks