bose speakers

steve bain

Reaction score
right another silly question which oly experience will show!

i have a bose sub and amp with all 4 speakers from sub.

how do i know if the doors speakers are bose? they don't say it on them so guess they are not. and the front speakers have been swapped for some 'fusion' speakers which seem to massively lack power compared to the rear ones. do you think standard audi ones would be better than these? the rear ones look like these

Audi A3 Rear Quarter Panel Mid Range Speaker 8D9035412B on eBay (end time 02-Feb-11 17:46:44 GMT)

which appear to be standard a3 ones.

any help appreciated. just trying to work out which speakers to use.

Those are definately not Bose rear speakers. Check to see if you have the Bose amp in the right cubbyhole in the boot. It's right at the back behind the rear lights. All A3's have a sub, is it definately a Bose unit. The Bose sub has two 4 inch drivers (black plastic front), the non Bose has a single 6.5" inch driver with a metal front.
If you have a non Bose system with a stock HU and someone has added the Bose sub as some sort of misguided upgrade then the rear speakers wouldn't work at all as they run off the same amp as the sub, which is inside the non Bose sub. The Bose sub amp does not drive the rears and the wiring is completely different.
Sounds like you just have the stock non Bose setup, with aftermarket front speakers. The fronts run off the 2 x 20w amp inside the HU and the rears off the amp inside the sub. Same power, so can only assume the aftermarket fronts are not as efficient as the stock units, or have just been badly fitted leaving gaping holes between the doorcard and the speaker. Best upgrade you can do in the A3 is to add a proper sub. Leave the speakers as they are severely limited by the flimsy door cards they are mounted to and th lack of power feeding them.

it definitely 100% has a bose sub and amp. they are in the correct locations and have bose written on them. i guess the speakers have been swapped then. unfortunately when i got the car it had no headunit so do not know what it had, but did have a bose 6cd changer all wired in too. this car has been messed around with A LOT! by previous owners. all speakers work off the amp as far as i can work out, but fronts are quieter than rears, but that may be the fusion speakers. i do know the car was someones pride and joy so maybe it has a fancy leather trim and was swapped out for selling and the speakers got lost or something. i think i will stick the standard front back in as i think the poor sound is down to the aftermarket speakers being poorly fitted.

thanks for your help. i will not worry too much for now, at least it works :)

The Bose speakers are 2 ohm impedance, which the Bose amp is expecting in order to deliver the 4 x 50w it is rated at. The stock rears and the aftermarket fusions are 4 ohm so you will be running at half power at the moment. Best option is to replace the fronts with proper Bose fronts (or buy another Bose sub and nick the drivers out of that as they are the same) or replace them with aftermarket units that are rated at 2ohms. The Bose rears in the A3 are pathetic (and not the ones shown above). They are tiny little 4" units that look like they came out of a pre-war valve radio:
A3Boserearspeaker.jpg