Bang and olufson vs Stock system

The Hammer

Reaction score
Considering this as an extra but is it really worth all the extra $$$?

Yes. The speakers have a strip that lights up.

Standard is 8 passive speakers with a total of 80 watts against B&O which is 14 high performance speakers plus sub giving a total power output of 705 watts.

Gets my £750 every time ! The car is the only chance I get to listen to my tunes so it's all about what you listen to, time in the car and budget as to what's important to you but I would recommend it.

Reactions: phil1824
Standard is 8 passive speakers with a total of 80 watts against B&O which is 14 high performance speakers plus sub giving a total power output of 705 watts.

Gets my £750 every time ! The car is the only chance I get to listen to my tunes so it's all about what you listen to, time in the car and budget as to what's important to you but I would recommend it.

+1, 90% of my music listening happens in the car, that's why I've gone for b&o on my a3 (due early August)

Read through a few threads on here and it sounds awesome (no pun indended), can't wait!

Reactions: Rob2k68
If you're asking the question then it's a must have. I have the stock system (didn't buy new thought it couldn't be that bad) and it's terrible, so much so it's all getting replaced.

If the £750 for the b&o is too hot the the audi sound system is very good also!

Reactions: daydotz and Minion Bob!
If the £750 for the b&o is too hot the the audi sound system is very good also!

I would say at a minimum Audi Sound System. The standard is terrible if you genuinely know how music should sound. I regret not going for b and o because of budget and wish I cut one of my options for it since I have a lot of high quality audio around the house etc I can immediately tell what's missing from a song... Don't get me wrong *** is great but I'd say if you have the money go for b and o

I have commented on the B&O system numerous times on various threads. Bang & Olufsen music sound systems are fantastic before even fitting them into a car. The research they did with Audi was phenomenal. Google it...
If it is available on your model I would take it in a heart beat and pay the cost! I've owned numerous Audi's with BOSE and BMW's with Harman Kardon systems but none touch this. They were good yes. My nearly 4 yr old A4 with its B&O 14 speaker and sub is by far the loudest and clearest sound system I've owned especially with DAB.
It's worth the extra money and should be the top of any owners options list ahead of sat nav/cruise control etc... End of the day everyone listens to the stereo and if you like your music then being in a mobile disco enlightens the day if not the speeding ticket...

Last edited:
Reactions: phil1824

Thank you. We don't get the standard speakers here in the US.

Our standard is the mid-range choice, the Audi Sound System, it's 10 speakers and 1 sub that's 180 watts.

and OP, if I had the choice again, I'd get the Bang and Olufsen. Even the Audi Sound System sounds like it's muffled at times.

Thank you. We don't get the standard speakers here in the US.

Our standard is the mid-range choice, the Audi Sound System, it's 10 speakers and 1 sub that's 180 watts.

and OP, if I had the choice again, I'd get the Bang and Olufsen. Even the Audi Sound System sounds like it's muffled at times.
As above mate. It's louder in my car than a night club if need be and crystal clear... :rock:

In cars this expensive the absolute minimum they should be offering as standard (in all countries) should be the Audi Sound System. Why offer a base system that's so utter *****? At least offer something that tops a standard Ford audio system as a starting point.

My iPod lives in the car as that's where I listen to all my music so looks like it will be a B&O system

My iPod lives in the car as that's where I listen to all my music so looks like it will be a B&O system
In my experience, if you stream music over Bluetooth or use the Aux connection the music quality will be vastly inferior to simply copying your tunes to an SD card. I can't vouch for the audio quality when using the dedicated iPod/MMI cable, however.

As has been said, B&O seems like an expensive option, however, mono.pur isn't far off half that which makes it a bargain. If you like your music in the car (who doesn't?!) go for it. It is very impressive........actually needs a bit of running in and starts sounding even better after a bit of use. The fact that you have asked, if you don't go for it I can guarantee that you will forever be regretting the decision.

As has been said, B&O seems like an expensive option, however, mono.pur isn't far off half that which makes it a bargain. If you like your music in the car (who doesn't?!) go for it. It is very impressive........actually needs a bit of running in and starts sounding even better after a bit of use. The fact that you have asked, if you don't go for it I can guarantee that you will forever be regretting the decision.
Sadly for me, once my essential options were added (S-Tronic being the expensive one) I was already a grand over budget so no B&O for me. I was tempted by the Audi Sound System (having already got BOSE in my current TT) buy ultimately I kept it standard to keep the cost down. While I appreciate a good sound system, I'm not really into music in a big way like some. I quite often just listen to the sound of the engine or current affairs on Radio 4. I tend to drive faster the louder & higher tempo the music so maybe it's not a bad thing not having it, for me!

That said, how will the standard system compare to the BOSE I have currently? As long as its better than what I had in a SEAT Cupra I'll be happy.

That said, how will the standard system compare to the BOSE I have currently? As long as its better than what I had in a SEAT Cupra I'll be happy.
It is often said that the standard system is very sub-standard. I would imagine that if you are going from a Bose system, you will be disappointed. I've seen comments to the effect that the Audi system is far inferior to a Ford system. I'm sure if you go into a dealership, you could have a listen.

It is often said that the standard system is very sub-standard. I would imagine that if you are going from a Bose system, you will be disappointed. I've seen comments to the effect that the Audi system is far inferior to a Ford system. I'm sure if you go into a dealership, you could have a listen.
Too late for that, the order was locked down a couple of weeks ago. It's got to be better than the system in my Mrs Corsa surely? That sounds pretty good to me, to be fair.

Too late for that, the order was locked down a couple of weeks ago. It's got to be better than the system in my Mrs Corsa surely? That sounds pretty good to me, to be fair.
It doesn't matter. Enjoy the drive and interior etc. I'm like you, not bothered and would never waste money on upgrades for audio.R4 rocks

Go for it. As a music buff, one of my few options next to LED and some nice wheels and it's superb.

As others, car is where I end up doing most of my music listening and either hooked up to iPod or SD card the system sounds amazing. Bluetooth not so much.

Worth the money over other options hands down.

i had to have the B+O, but it's not a patch on the one in my A4 that I have just replaced

Reactions: Tfsi gone
The B&O system in the A4 is very special...
I have commented before on the Audi sound systems but this is one of the best and it's one of the reasons I'm keeping my current A4. What with the free 4 yrs servicing from Audi...

Interesting to hear that people rate the A4 B&O over the A3 B&O as the Audi website write-up seems to suggest the A3 system is the higher spec!

A4 - £535 option:
"Designed specifically for the Audi A4, features 14 high-performance speakers and two amplifiers which create 505 watts of stunning surround sound, balanced to suit the specific acoustic properties of the car’s interior. The system constantly and automatically adapts the sound characteristics to the vehicle’s speed and background noise providing the highest level of quality. The digital signal-processing amplifier takes output from standard stereo sources such as CD players, iPods or DAB radios and creates exceptional five-channel surround sound. Also available as part of Sound package"

A3 - £750 option
"Surround sound reproduction via 14 high-performance speakers including centre speaker in the dashboard and subwoofer in the spare wheel well (on 3 door and Sportback) / parcel shelf (on Saloon). 15-channel amplifier with a total output of 705 watts. Exclusive speaker covers with aluminium applications and the LED lighting accentuat the front woofers. The sound is permanently adapted to compensate for driving and background noises determined by microphone. 5.1 surround sound reproduction is possible in conjunction with MMI navigation plus with MMI touch and the integrated DVD drive"

Also, on the B&O website, they lump together the descriptions for the A3/A4/A5/Q5/R8 all together under the "Bang & Olufsen Sound System" section:

With the Bang & Olufsen Sound System you get to bring the complete Bang & Olufsen experience with you on the road. Up to 14 speakers deliver surround sound playback resembling the sensation of a concert hall, while an integrated microphone constantly monitors changes in background noise adjusting the sound to ensure perfect playback.
- Up to 705 Watt of amplifier power
- Up to 14 loudspeakers
- GALA plus - Dynamic sound adjustment based on microphone measurements and driving speed
- Aluminum applications at loudspeaker grills
- 5.1 Surround Sound technology (in connection with MMI Navigation Plus)
- Dedicated sound tuning

They differentiate that with the "Bang & Olufsen Advanced Sound System" section" for the A6/A7/A8/Q7:

The Bang & Olufsen Advanced Sound System takes the state of the art Bang & Olufsen Sound System a step further. The customized speakers and the proprietary Bang & Olufsen technologies – Acoustic Lens Technology and the unique ICEpower technology – make it the best acoustic experience ever created for the car.
- Active loudspeaker technology
- Up to 19 high-performance loudspeakers
- Two moving tweeters on the dashboard (Acoustic Lens Technology)
- Sealed loudspeaker boxes
- Fully aluminum loudspeaker cover
- ICEpower amplifier
- Up to 1400 Watt of amplification power
- Advanced Vehicle Noise Compensation
- 5.1 Surround Sound technology (in connection with MMI Navigation Plus)
- Dedicated sound tuning

Does the A4 benefit from having a larger cabin or having better sound dampening or is there something else going for it?

I guess the B&O systems vary in quality.
Although some say the A3 set up is good, the A6 set up costs a few grand more.
One must be ridiculously good or the other isn't quite as good as people think :whistle2:

I imagine your hearing must need be top notch to take advantage of a £5K sound system bouncing around in a cars shell.

Test them both and see what you think. Don't spend £750 if you don't think it necessary. No one else's opinion should matter in this.

I suspect the size/shape of car and interior materials has a bearing on acoustics too. Just remove your sofa and curtains from your lounge and see how the acoustics change, for example.

^^ Absolutely the sound space plays a large part.

I think from memory in the wife's A4 avant the sub was in the heel board under the back seat rather than in the wheel well and you 'felt' it more.

Tend to listen to the engine when I'm driving, which isnt really that much at the moment...just get the one you want if you can afford it

Think Audi dealers should have vehicles available for customers to show how much better the B&O system is by maybe using their courtesy cars? I had a brand new A4 Sline TDI during a recent free service and that had DAB radio like mine but no B&O.. Even my son could tell the difference and he's 7...