B6 How to adjust headlights aim?

Johnjones

Reaction score
Hi, I have one headlight pointing at a strange angle upwards. Also only the small round lights are on for low beam, and the big main headlights come on for main beam. Is that normal? How do I adjust the main headlight aim? Is there a load sensor to fiddle with too?

Thanks!

There's a couple of screws on the headlight unit, I believe they are white. Turn them and they will move up or down. Best bet is to get it taken to a garage though as they'll have one of those proper lens alignment jobbies to make sure you get it done. If you smile and giggle at him you might get it for free :D

Ok thanks...does this mean it doesn't have any lineages or load sensors on the front or rear suspension?

If you have HID's as standard it will auto-level. If not, then you'll have to manually adjust them. There is the standard up-down settings from the knob next to the headlights, but proper adjustment is done at the headlights, under the bonnet.

OK bit the problem is, it's not auto levelling....It's way out of alignment. Seems a bit strange to have to adjust it from at the light so much, so for that I was wondering if there's a load sensor that might be out.

I think the load sensors depend on whether you have auto levelling or not, there's 2 black plastic allen key adjusters on mine on top of the headlight, one is accesed through a hole in the top of the wing above the indicator and one above the main beam. It is a cabriolet though so maybe different if your a saloon/avant.

OK thanks, I'll have a look. Cheers for replying, JJ

Sometimes the remote levelling motor mechanism can become detached, and the reflector inside will wobble about loosely.

Just take to an mot garage. Over the years i sometime get it done for free or charged £10