Audi S3 CAI help

Rob C

Audi Owner
Reaction score
So before Christmas I bought a Revo CAI and had it fitted but I didn't like the constant loud Darth Vader sound that it produced so it came straight back off (also due to running issues it caused).

My question is do the CAI's that are contained within a canister such as the Forge Twintake and VWR CAI still make the loud 'Darth Vader' noise?

To an extent Rob they're all going to be louder than the stock system.

The Twintake is a pretty old system now,and not up with the best of the current ones,plus has previously caused fuel trim issues for some people.
The VWR is basically an enclosed ITG system,but is a good intake.
For what it's worth,the original ITG(the ugly looking one I have) is pretty quiet.

Much of the snuffling and wheezing sounds from the intakes are produced by the turbo when the boost is wound up,with a remap,and you may find that difficult to escape from.

So before Christmas I bought a Revo CAI and had it fitted but I didn't like the constant loud Darth Vader sound that it produced so it came straight back off (also due to running issues it caused).

My question is do the CAI's that are contained within a canister such as the Forge Twintake and VWR CAI still make the loud 'Darth Vader' noise?

Whaaaaaaaaaat you don't like Darth Vader? :pensive: I love driving around with him under my bonnet haha, especially when you pi$$ him off!

In regards to your question, I can offer no more information as S3Alex has nailed it.

Reactions: S3Alex
I've tried many intakes,

Revo
Twintake x3
Itg
VWR.
Carbonio scoop

At the moment I have the VWR and the Revo.
The best out of all of them I would say is the Revo, however it is probably the noisiest.
The VWR or the Twintake are probably what you are looking for tbh in terms of quietness.
The twintake is my favourite purely on looks as it fills the bay nicely, is carbon and doesn't sound overly loud. Unfortunately for me it won't satisfy a 2+ S3 in terms of airflow as it struggles over 350 bhp and I can't get the boost to reach requested because of this.
I've not logged the VWR in terms of airflow yet but it does sound similar to the twintake.
The biggest issue though with intakes is fuel trims and ALL of them apart from the carbonio have had some issues with fuel trims. Even the Revo I have to run with a sleeve insert to calibrate the maf properly

I've tried many intakes,

Revo
Twintake x3
Itg
VWR.
Carbonio scoop

At the moment I have the VWR and the Revo.
The best out of all of them I would say is the Revo, however it is probably the noisiest.
The VWR or the Twintake are probably what you are looking for tbh in terms of quietness.
The twintake is my favourite purely on looks as it fills the bay nicely, is carbon and doesn't sound overly loud. Unfortunately for me it won't satisfy a 2+ S3 in terms of airflow as it struggles over 350 bhp and I can't get the boost to reach requested because of this.
I've not logged the VWR in terms of airflow yet but it does sound similar to the twintake.
The biggest issue though with intakes is fuel trims and ALL of them apart from the carbonio have had some issues with fuel trims. Even the Revo I have to run with a sleeve insert to calibrate the maf properly

I've only used the original Forge and the ITG.

All of these manufacturers go on about how much airflow and what gains we can expect,but very few of them have tested their systems on real cars,under road conditions,at very high power.

The old ITG does well at 600bhp.

Reactions: S.
I think the reality is that an open filter will always flow better than a sealed canister type and as long as you can live with the added induction and turbo noises, then all is good.
If you would rather keep the car as oem as possible then a sealed one will give you that but may not give you the ultimate performance at big power levels.
I'm surprised you don't need a huge bonnet scoop on your beast Alex lol

Reactions: S3Alex
I have a revo intake fitted to mine, it does make strange noises at times, more so when you first start car up. Is this to do with the cold start I take it?

Yes, I believe its the dv that is open on recirculation at that rpm that causes it

I have the APR Carbonio on my 2.0 TSI and have no issues over the past 3 years. It's as quiet as stock and i'd imagine the VWR one would be the same. Agree with Ju for pure performance the open filter is better at the expense of noise.

What is this fuel trim issue ?

I'm lost, I have a forge twin take but will be getting replaced for itg, although I also hate all the silly noises but want big power

Fuel trim is how the sensor is mounted, as the OEM is a oval section, many generic diameters for the sensor mount dont work or give airflow readings that are out by a margin. Fuel trim fixes this up, within reason, but not ideal.

As above, most aftermarket intakes have the maf mounted in a pipe that has a slightly larger cross sectional area than the oem oval one. This means more air is entering the combustion chamber than is being read by the maf sensor. The lambda sensor in the exhaust detects this and then the ecu makes a fuel correction, i.e. fuel trim, to correct it.
This is fine and happens all the time, even with the standard airbox. Unfortunately the ecu can only add a trim up to a certain level, above this and the car will run lean which can cause long term issues.

Once mapped is it okay ? So there is no way round it ?

Most people will fit a CAI and never notice, or indeed have any noticeable issues.
It's only when you have access to vcds can you take an interest into optimising what you have
A custom map may be able to iron out this issue but a generic map such as APR and Revo etc won't.
I have a sleeve fitted inside my Revo intake which narrows the pipe where the maf sits, that took my trims from 17 down to 1.6. Anything over 10 is getting beyond what the ecu can adapt for.
I would also say after trying 3 different Forge twintakes, if your after anything more than 350 bhp then you need a different intake.

Reactions: HHS3 and S3Alex
Fantastic, I have a custom mapped booked! And it's only stage 1 for a few months so I will get a itg and sleeve it!! Cheers for the information :)

I was panicking

Thanks for the info guys. I think I may try a VWR CAI when I have some spare cash.

The noise level isn't an issue but I was expecting more of what I would call an induction noise rather than the sucking sound.