Audi S3 2017 Coolant Warning light

Merb Ali

Reaction score
Hi,

Had the coolant light pop up once and it went away few days ago.

Checked Coolant level, it is a bit below 'Min'

Should i just top with water or should i get some genuine Audi coolant or any recommendations from anywhere else please?

I keep reading about G12/G13 but honestly have no idea which one i need...The Coolant in my 2017 plate S3 is pink...

Thanks

G13 mixed with distilled/deionised water. If it keeps dropping get the car checked out. You can get the coolant at any VAG garage and the distilled/deionised water at Halfords (or some larger branches of Tesco)

Attachments

• IMG_2908.jpg
    IMG_2908.jpg
    778.7 KB · Views: 1,567
  • IMG_2909.jpg
    IMG_2909.jpg
    741.5 KB · Views: 841
Last edited:
G13 mixed with distilled/deionised water. If it keeps dropping get the car checked out.

First time it has dropped after 9 months so shouldn't be an issue...

Is it ok to wait a few days before adding? Audi dealer open Monday now.

First time it has dropped after 9 months so shouldn't be an issue...

Is it ok to wait a few days before adding? Audi dealer open Monday now.

Yes should be ok providing the engine isn't overheating (which it won't with coolant just below min). In an urgent situation you could use Comma G40 which does meet the VW spec but isn't exactly the same composition (available at Halfords). Generally it's best not to mix different types of coolant.

Yes should be ok providing the engine isn't overheating (which it won't with coolant just below min). In an urgent situation you could use Comma G40 which does meet the VW spec but isn't exactly the same composition (available at Halfords). Generally it's best not to mix different types of coolant.

Thanks a bunch.

Thanks a bunch.

You're welcome. I've topped up my coolant a few times in my S3 over the last 2 years. Unless it drops frequently or suddenly it's not a big deal. I give it a check when I check the oil, about once a fortnight along with tyre pressures and screen wash.

Personally, I don't think your coolant should be dropping when your car is so new. You could just add a bit of water and be done with it, but you would have to be careful with adding new coolant since it may not mix with the water/coolant already present properly as they are two differently-weighted compounds

Personally, I don't think your coolant should be dropping when your car is so new. You could just add a bit of water and be done with it, but you would have to be careful with adding new coolant since it may not mix with the water/coolant already present properly as they are two differently-weighted compounds

What should i add? Tap water or distilled/deionised water?

What should i add? Tap water or distilled/deionised water?

You should add G13 mixed with distilled or deionised water. You cannot assume that the loss was just water vapour and just add water. If you do just add water you could end up with the antifreeze being much too dilute.

You should add G13 mixed with distilled or deionised water. You cannot assume that the loss was just water vapour and just add water.

Ok. I only need to top it off to Max anyway as it slightly below minimum. Do you have a link for recommended item for water from Halfords? Thanks.

Hi,

Had the coolant light pop up once and it went away few days ago.

Checked Coolant level, it is a bit below 'Min'

Should i just top with water or should i get some genuine Audi coolant or any recommendations from anywhere else please?

I keep reading about G12/G13 but honestly have no idea which one i need...The Coolant in my 2017 plate S3 is pink...

Thanks
When I needed to top mine up on the S3 I called my local Audi dealership and spoke to a tech guy in there, he said this stuff is fine to use:

From Eurocarparts, use the code 'weekend37' for the discount:

Weekend37

I always keep a full one in the boot, when I had the S3 I was in the outside lane on the motorway passing a wagon when the warning went off and it told me to stop!!! :D

When I needed to top mine up on the S3 I called my local Audi dealership and spoke to a tech guy in there, he said this stuff is fine to use:

View attachment 169122

I always keep a full one in the boot, when I had the S3 I was in the outside lane on the motorway passing a wagon when the warning went off and it told me to stop!!! :D

Ok so just get this and top it off? Should i report this to dealer to check Coolant system just in case? What do u reckon?

Ok so just get this and top it off? Should i report this to dealer to check Coolant system just in case? What do u reckon?

Yes for peace of mind I would ask them to check it. They pressure tested mine and found no leak so I accept I have to top up a small quantity periodically. I had to do the same with previous cars.

View attachment 169122

Code no longer works but for £3 i won't grumble!

Thanks will go buy now and use this to top up

Guys link i was sent is for Purple G13. Mine looks pretty pink lol...

Mine too came on a couple days ago. Just below minimum. Just take it to the dealership. I went to Audi ,they had it up on the ramp with 10 minutes of arriving and checked for leaks. Topped it up and told me to keep an eye on the level and come back if any problems. No charge.