Audi paint v Bird poo

S3Baz

Reaction score
I have an 8V S3 in sepang blue which was coated with Gtechniq C1 and Exo when I bought it, both these were applied in 2015. What I have noticed over the last few days with the increased number of bird poo hits is that the paint seems to suffer from etching very easily.
Today I wiped off one which must have been on the car for less than two hours and I can see a mark left on the clearcoat where it had been. Is this typical of audi paint as I can`t remember the same problem with other cars I have owned?

What advice can anyone give on products to try that might help this out, can take off the poop without scratching the paint so it is just the etch mark that is left that`s the main problem. I have a DA polisher but if I use that then it will no doubt remove any C1 that is left, would a good detail and then layer up with wax etc be a better option ?

Thanks for any tips or advice anyone can supply.

I have an 8V S3 in sepang blue which was coated with Gtechniq C1 and Exo when I bought it, both these were applied in 2015. What I have noticed over the last few days with the increased number of bird poo hits is that the paint seems to suffer from etching very easily.
Today I wiped off one which must have been on the car for less than two hours and I can see a mark left on the clearcoat where it had been. Is this typical of audi paint as I can`t remember the same problem with other cars I have owned?

What advice can anyone give on products to try that might help this out, can take off the poop without scratching the paint so it is just the etch mark that is left that`s the main problem. I have a DA polisher but if I use that then it will no doubt remove any C1 that is left, would a good detail and then layer up with wax etc be a better option ?

Thanks for any tips or advice anyone can supply.

Spray a quick detailer over the poo then sit a damp sponge over it for a minute then rinse a away also your ceramic coating will have all but disappeared if it was applied 3 years ago so feel free use the machine polisher

I thought the C1 was supposed to last for 5 years ? Can`t understand why it would cause a mark so quickly, unless I have some really toxic bird poo in my area.

I thought the C1 was supposed to last for 5 years ? Can`t understand why it would cause a mark so quickly, unless I have some really toxic bird poo in my area.

C1 = your lucky if it lasts 2 years if it where still performing you wouldn't be getting the bird poo etching your paint

I believe the effect of bird poo is magnified with warmer weather... Gulls are the worst offenders in my experience !! I've had success using Meguiars Ultimate Compound for small areas by hand if you didn't want to break out the polisher.

As suggested it would seem your coating may be reaching the end of its life so if you didn't want the expense of having it reapplied you might want to consider using one of the longer lasting sealants

Sent from my XT1032 using Tapatalk

Reactions: Jassyo06
This is the joys of Gtechniq :p, it will only last their times stated as long as you stick by their Terms to make it last which are outrageous terms to be keeping up with.

I would say you need to get a better Ceramic like Nanolex Si3d / HD and then put a hard wax on top as a barrier layer to take one for the team as such.

Note that no wax can bond to a ceramic coated car, as soon as it gets wet it will wash off.

Thanks for the help, looks like the polisher is coming out. Suppose the condition of the C1 depends a lot on the previous owners wash care.
Have seen a few threads elsewhere about using a hair dryer to take out the mark, suppose it heats up the area and lets everything cool down at the same rate thus reducing the etching
Anybody tried it?

Thanks for the help, looks like the polisher is coming out. Suppose the condition of the C1 depends a lot on the previous owners wash care.
Have seen a few threads elsewhere about using a hair dryer to take out the mark, suppose it heats up the area and lets everything cool down at the same rate thus reducing the etching
Anybody tried it?
I wouldn't go too aggressive on these etchings initially so a light cutting compound firstly