Audi A4 2.5 TDI V6 fan problem

Ashleymark

Reaction score
Hi all,
i have used this forum without the need to register for a while now. But now I am completely stuck and can't find answer via searching.
Basically my radiator fan is spinning at all times and speeds up with revs ( it sounds like a fighter jet). I have replaced viscous fan coupling as old one seemed tight, but this made no difference. If you stop fan with belt or cable tie it stops it from spinning but car does not overheat or go past 90.c. The actual pulley that drives the fan seems tight to move. I have read that possibly a failed thermostat or coolant temp sensor may cause these issues? Also After 2 hours of driving coolant is still only Luke warm, but temp gauge reads 90.c.
Sorry for long post just wanted to give as much info as possible.
Thanks

I would not worry much, the thermostat is designed to stay open, if the gauge goes to 90 Celsius and it doesn't overheat then I would leave it alone !

I would not worry much, the thermostat is designed to stay open, if the gauge goes to 90 Celsius and it doesn't overheat then I would leave it alone !

Thanks for reply. Overheating doesn't seem to be a problem but the noise is unbearable, I wake people up when I drive past, and make people 300 yards up the road turn around. It really does sound like a 747 landing. So if I could find a fix it would be great.
Thanks

Where abouts are you in the country ? Can you drive it to N. London so I could hear it ? I can fix it for you no problem !

Where abouts are you in the country ? Can you drive it to N. London so I could hear it ? I can fix it for you no problem !
I'm in north east of England mate so London would have to be a planned trip and only if I've exhausted other options first. Thank you very much for info and offer though. Would a video of noise help? Basically if you imagine your fan spinning at 3-5000 rpm and creating a tornado that's what mine does (even after new aftermarket fan coupling).

Maybe take the viscous fan back and just fit a genuine one, the noise you hear could be because of it. Can you check if the filter is not one of then k&n high flow filters as they are noisy. You could send me a clip on whatsapp or messenger on 07789912128.

Maybe take the viscous fan back and just fit a genuine one, the noise you hear could be because of it. Can you check if the filter is not one of then k&n high flow filters as they are noisy. You could send me a clip on whatsapp or messenger on 07789912128.

Filter is standard as is everything else. Just phoned Audi and they want £291 for fan coupling. I only paid 42 from euros. :anguished:. If it fixes problem I guess I'll have to bite and swallow the bullet. Will send video shortly

Remove the fan completely and see if the noise is still there. It sounds like maybe a tensioner or idler pulley bearing as they make an awful noise that increases with engine revs when they fail.