Audi A3 8p NO FRONT WIPERS & RAIN/HEADLIGHT SENSOR LIGHT ON! PLEASE HELP

Audi 8p

Reaction score
Hi all,

I have read through all the similar front wiper fault threads but none solve my issue.

Fault:
  • No Front Wipers, either via sensor or manual
  • Front washers ok
  • Rear washer and wiper ok
  • Rain/Headlight sensor ok
  • Bonnet Switch ok
  • Fuses ok
  • Any visible wiring ok
Had the AA come out and plug in. Only codes are:
  • 0817 LIN Data Bus - No signal
  • 05F0 Rain/LightSensor - No Signal
  • 0099 Driver side windshield wiper motor
Repair attempted:
  • change sensor - no fix
  • unplugged both aftermarket HID headlights - no fix
  • wriggled wipers with hand - no fix
  • Error code reset - no fix
  • disconnect battery and let drain then reconnect - no fix
I am running out of ideas and the last thing I have left to attempt is to take the wiper motor out, grease it up and reconnect then hope it will sort it but I am not hopeful and have 1% faith in that fixing it.

PLEASE HELP!!!!!!!!

Weird but something to try for free. Remove both the battery terminals and short them with a spanner together..AWAY from the battery hold for a few seconds and retry

Just a thought would it be anything to do with ur hid aftermarket kit , maybe wired in wrong place or touching a wire ot shouldn't

well the spanner idea i may not attempt purely because I dont trust myself to kill myself or cause a fire. The HID kit I dont think so because I disconnected them and put the standard bulbs in.

I cant help but thinkits the motor but how difficult is it to remove etc?

is it? what you mean by kill? just whilst they are connected or kill for good so needs replacing?

yeah dead needs replacing and remove the hids

As soon as I saw the title to this thread I instantly thought HIDs. Unfortunately they kill the wiper motor on the A3 8P. There’s loads of info on the net and YouTube. This is the reason I’ve stuck with halogen bulbs.

You could try a 12v supply direct to the wiper motor to see if they power up but I suspect you’re gonna need a new motor

Multimeter , might help but no electrician here mate just a thought to see if it is getting any power ,

hi all. Thank you for all your input. I ordered a new motor which is coming tomorrow so I will fit it after work and report back friday.

I found the right explanation for the fault on a forum here:

The reason that the aftermarket kits blow the wiper motors is because of the inital spike of power they generate on inital start up, they backfeed through the shared earth down under the N/S/F headlight and it backs right up to the wiper motor and boom the wipers dont work ... i've done this on my 2007 A3 over 2

The solution is:

What u need to do is cut the earth wire going to the wipermotor (remember to give ur self enough wire to attatch another) and lay a new one to the earth terminal on the battery! its extremly easy do to and should take too long! :w00t:

One last question. Once the motor is replaced and the original bulbs are in, do you guys think the rain/light sensor will work again and the yellow dash light will go away?

Or would i need the codes deleted? or disconnect battery again?

One last question. Once the motor is replaced and the original bulbs are in, do you guys think the rain/light sensor will work again and the yellow dash light will go away?

Or would i need the codes deleted? or disconnect battery again?
You will have a better idea once you sort out the motor then try wipers and if they work , clear codes take key out wait 5mins put key in turn start car check all works , if light is still there do another autoscan amd check with the 1 you did when motor wasn't working and compare to see if there is any changes

Does the light sensor work now? Obviously the automatic wipers from the sensor aren’t going to work because your hid’s have fried the motor.