Ashtray removal

GeoffT

Reaction score
I've searched and found threads regarding ashtray removal, but all of the instructions seem to be part of a bigger project (eg RNS_E fitting).

I want to replace my non-smokers tray with an ashtray that I have just bought on Ebay (decided it looked neater than just the tray, and I have plans to fix a stealth mount for my Tomtom in the ashtray cavity)

So all I need is to remove the existing tray and replace it with the ashtray version. Before I go for trail and error, can someone tell me what else (if anything) I need to remove and anything to look out for?

Thanks

edit - should have said - Sept 2007 model with double DIN symphony (if that makes any difference)

I know Von Maximo has done this the other way around ie ashtray ---> cubby. Maybe he can help?

A3simon said:
fancy selling the tray to me

Sorry Simon, As I intend to modify the ashtray for my Tomtom, I will be keeping the original tray so that I can put it back to standard if/when I change it.

I have been having a look and I am sure that I have to remove the console handles to get the tray out. Having removed the gear stick trim I have found the rear bolts for the handles and I have also found the allen bolts that fix them up to the where they meet the dash, but it feels like there is another fitting at the front which I can't see. I'm guessing it's behind the climate control unit and that I'm going to have to remove that. Not sure if that comes out on it's own or if I need to remove the stereo first.

Any ideas anyone?

Thanks Bry, I had found that thread, but I still can't work out where exactly the front fixings are. I'm 99% certain that there are no fixings in the area of the red dots under the climate control in those pics. Maybe the front of the console handles are clipped in rather than bolted?

This is driving me mad! I've even got the climate control unit popped out and I STILL can't see the front console arm mounting bolts. I've seen 2 different threads saying there are 3 fixings per side - 2 off 8mm bolts & 1 off allen bolt. I've found the allen bolt and the rear 8mm bolts (under the gearstick trim) but I'm b*ggered if I can see the front 8mm bolts.

GeoffT said:
...I have plans to fix a stealth mount for my Tomtom in the ashtray cavity

Whats the stealth mount?
I'm looking of a way to hard wire n fix TomTom too.

Cheers

mdre83 said:
Whats the stealth mount?
I'm looking of a way to hard wire n fix TomTom too.

Cheers

I'll post some more on that when I can get this bl**dy ashtray out:keule:

GeoffT said:
I'll post some more on that when I can get this bl**dy ashtray out:keule:

Getting the Ashtray out is simple,

Put your hand into the gator of the Gear stick and pull upwards. You should have now successfully removed the Gear surround that is held in place by friction clips.

You will have to remove the A pillar grab handle. There are two Hex bolts which if I can remember are 10mm situated at the front and rear of the each grab handle. The rear ones are slighty difficult to see as they are hidden back into the centre consoul. There is also an Alan bolt holding the top of the grab handle in place.. Look up into the middle of the triangle of the grab handle and you'll see it. Might help to borrow a compact mirror from the missus to see properly. Unless your a woofter and got your own!

Once the grab handles are removed simply remove the torx screws that are holding both ashtray and friction clips to the gator surround and remove.

Job Done! Simply do reverse to reasemble! I'll try and supply elsa pics at a later date when I get back home

Eureka! Finally found the front screws. Needed to take of the trim underneath the climate control to gain access to them. Even then a bit awkward to get to, but job done now.

Now I can start the "Tomtom in ashtray" project. Will post some details and pics later.

Thanks for all the info.