Arm Rest

d3fy

Reaction score
Website
d3fy.co.uk
When I took a couple of A3s out for test drives they had the arm rest and I thought it got in the way.

Now 6 months on I want an arm rest (typical) is it worth the £180 or is it a pain in the ***?

Should I put the money towards a miltek instead?

Any one got any good pictures of one?

ta

exactly what happened to me - i gave up the ghost though when audi quoted me about 400quid with fitting.

Well there is a guy on Tyresmoke who will get them for £185 to your door. But you will have to fit. Thats for a leather one, about £120 for cloth I think.

armrest would be greatly improved if they cut out a section underneath so that the raised handbrake doesnt hit and lift the armrest. esp for people like me who prefer to have the rest at its lowest click

I couldn't live without mine now. Definately worth the money. I have mine almost horizontal so it doesn't catch the hand brake.

J.

theyre good, the oddment slot is really useful... BUT, it does get a little bit in the way of the handbrake.

Same here, mine's horizontal too but I rarely use the handbrake in mine TBH, leave it in park and walk away (I do like the way you cant take the key out unless its in park)

I have one as standard as my A3 is an SE. I have my GPS Receiver fitted to the underside with power connected through the 'tunnel' to the back of the 12v socket. I tend to drive with it up most of the time, but when I leave the car I put my PDA in the armrest pocket and put the armrest down, thus both my GPS and the PDA are out of sight, but still easy to get at when I return.

Don't find the armrest hits the handbrake but it does get in the way of using it properly. As this is the first non-manual (has DSG) I have driven in 40 years of driving I still use the handbrake as normal.

Having removed mine to run the wiring for the GPS it would be quite straight forward to fit a new one, but you will have to cut a hole in the plastic on the tunnel.

I have copies of the instructions on how to remove and refit the armrest and the parts diagram for the armrest. If you would like me to post them, let me know.

I thought mine got in the way at first, like others I now could not live without one.

Yeah I like it as well - makes driving more relaxing, especially over long distances.

I wouldn't have one in a manual,as it gets in the way of the handbrake too much,but it's ideal for the DSG.

I also tend to put it up and out of the way when I want to press on,as it gets in the way again.

Can't beat it for lazy mode though.

Creaks like hell if you put any pressure on it though.

any chance of a link to the guy who sells them on tyresmoke??
cheers

correct me if im wrong,but i think there is a retro fit website,which also explains in detail,how to retro fit parts to your car,also on tsn,i cant remember the site though(sorry),

i would'nt have a car without an armrest either.

Get the parts from vagparts or somewhere similar and fit it yourself. Its very straight forward from what i've seen.

I have one in my SE, but with it being manual I find it awkward to change gears; I don't know what people meant by different settings with 'clicks' - mine only goes all the way down (below horizontal) or one setting in the middle. Are there different armrests about then?!

Having said this, I do find it useful when on the motorway!

Toby.

that sounds good - cant seem to find any mention of one on the website though - is it a case of ringing up?

could you possibly do a group buy MB ?

i was looking at this a few weeks back and have found a stealer selling it on fleabay for £140

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Audi-A3-Sportback-...1QQcmdZViewItem

how do you fit these on though ? would any cutting/drilling be involved as this is what may hold me back from going ahead with the idea.

[ QUOTE ]
that sounds good - cant seem to find any mention of one on the website though - is it a case of ringing up?

[/ QUOTE ]

They can normally source pretty much what ever you want if it is OEM not everything they can get hold of is on the web site.

J.

[ QUOTE ]
could you possibly do a group buy MB ?

i was looking at this a few weeks back and have found a stealer selling it on fleabay for £140

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Audi-A3-Sportback-...1QQcmdZViewItem

how do you fit these on though ? would any cutting/drilling be involved as this is what may hold me back from going ahead with the idea.

[/ QUOTE ]

Price request has been put in! As soon as I know you'll know.

J.

[ QUOTE ]
I have one in my SE, but with it being manual I find it awkward to change gears; I don't know what people meant by different settings with 'clicks' - mine only goes all the way down (below horizontal) or one setting in the middle. Are there different armrests about then?!

Having said this, I do find it useful when on the motorway!

Toby.

[/ QUOTE ]

make sure the handbrake is off,then push the armrest all the way down,then pull up gently,and you will find the different height settings /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ok.gif

[ QUOTE ]

Don't find the armrest hits the handbrake but it does get in the way of using it properly. As this is the first non-manual (has DSG) I have driven in 40 years of driving I still use the handbrake as normal.

[/ QUOTE ]

How does that work then David ?
If I try to use the handbrake on mine,the DSG's 'creep' makes it strain and the back brakes make a horrendous binding noise.

Do you use the handbrake at the same time as standing on the footbrake ?

Hill starts,for me,are a frikking nightmare and the only really successful method I've found is to move my right foot from brake to accelerator as quick as I can,but I still get some inevitable and embarrassing rollback.

Left foot braking,whilst pressing the accelerator,gets the car into all sorts of confusion and using the handbrake,like I said,makes the car strain at the back brakes. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/noidea.gif

Presumably,Audi have found the same problem,so they now offer a hill-lock option for around £90.

contacted the guy on ebay - price is £245 with the correct colour of leather. seems a bit much to me.

[ QUOTE ]
If I try to use the handbrake on mine,the DSG's 'creep' makes it strain and the back brakes make a horrendous binding noise.

[/ QUOTE ]

No but I still apply the handbrake when I park or when I'm stopped, for example at road works lights or a level crossing, when I put the DSG into neutral. I agree that the car will try and creep and pull against the handbrake unless you use the foot brake. Don't find any problem with hill starts, mine only drops back a few inches if at all.

As I still drive in what many consider the old fashioned way, with both hands on the steering wheel, I don't find I use the armrest when I'm actually driving. I do put it down and use it when I'm parked for some time and staying in the car, for example for the 35 minutes or so crossing the Channel on the Shuttle.

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

No but I still apply the handbrake when I park or when I'm stopped, for example at road works lights or a level crossing, when I put the DSG into neutral. I agree that the car will try and creep and pull against the handbrake unless you use the foot brake. Don't find any problem with hill starts, mine only drops back a few inches if at all.

As I still drive in what many consider the old fashioned way, with both hands on the steering wheel, I don't find I use the armrest when I'm actually driving. I do put it down and use it when I'm parked for some time and staying in the car, for example for the 35 minutes or so crossing the Channel on the Shuttle.

[/ QUOTE ]

Fair enough,I never use neutral,so that explains that.

Yeah,my car only rolls back on hills a few inches as well,but it still makes you look like some sort of beginner. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif

God,I use the armrest all the time when driving,unless I'm pressing on and need full movement of both arms.

I went from Aberdeen to Manchester and back this weekend,with my left arm on the rest the whole way (Gearbox in D,as 'manual' is utterly pointless on the motorway).

I still tend to do the same as I did with a manual and put the DSG in neutral when stopped as it always annoyed me, when stopped behind an automatic, to be blinded by the permanantly on brake lights, especially at night. When I first got my A3 with the DSG I vowed I would not do the same.

[ QUOTE ]
contacted the guy on ebay - price is £245 with the correct colour of leather. seems a bit much to me.

[/ QUOTE ]

Email
neil.laney{AT}ipswich.audi.co.uk
01473 556306

NelsonA4Sline is his name on Tyresmoke. I ordered one today for £185 delivered with the black leather. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

[ QUOTE ]

That looks to be a good price. I'm just getting comfirmation of prices and I should have a firm price tomorrow morning.

J.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hi mate

Its Ian here from the VW forums.
Got here in the end.

Any news on the centre arms rests?

Many thanks
Ian /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh_roll.gif

4.jpg

5.jpg

1.jpg

3.jpg

2.jpg

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/woohoo.gif

Well I really like it and think it fits the car great. Like most Audi things it is over engineered on the nuts and bolts and if yours creaks Bowfer then something is not right with it.

[ QUOTE ]
"armrest" not arserest !

[/ QUOTE ]

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/lol.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh_roll.gif