APR or REVO

s3Tormaline

Reaction score
I'm sure this has been done before but who would you recomend for a remap on my std 225 s3. I'm having the 5 hour trial tomorrow from Revo.

hi mate, not sure about those 2 options, ive no experience of either. But I would recommend taking a trip to MRC. I had a custom map done there last year, the difference was amazing and they take great care to make sure the car is good shape before they do the work. The power delivery is very smooth right through the rev range.

This subject has been covered lots mate, with everyone having there own opinion on which remaps are best. Might be worth you searching through old posts as alot of the regulars seem to have stopped replying on this subject as it comes up so often. It normally comes down to where abouts in the country you are and what sort of map you are looking for (aggressive or smooth).

I just had the revo trial and it knackered my Temp sensor now it drives like a bag of **** till I get the sensor replaced on monday, also after the trial revo remains on your ecu and makes it slower than standard so I've heard. Revo could be good but so far my view isn't a postive one.

DaveMK^ said:
I just had the revo trial and it knackered my Temp sensor now it drives like a bag of **** till I get the sensor replaced on monday, also after the trial revo remains on your ecu and makes it slower than standard so I've heard. Revo could be good but so far my view isn't a postive one.

How on earth can a remap 'knacker your temp sensor'??

I suggest it is either a coincidence or the remap has emphasised an existing problem.

The ECU only READS from the various sensors, in NO WAY can it 'write' to them or otherwise affect their normal operation.

After the trial, the map reverts to the REVO version of 'stock' settings, it's not noticeably slower or anything else, it's as close to stock as REVO could make it which is to all us plebs, the same as stock/OEM.

I'm not posting as a REVO biased customer, simply wishing the FACTS to be known so everyone viewing can make an informed and not a misguided opinion.

My mate had his S3 done by REVO, took them a while, and he had to send his chip off to get it custom programmed. But now, with a few extra mods, he gets 280bhp with the standard turbo. He had it done at JKM in Pompei. Rates them no-end. Was thinking of taking mine down there. I've also looked at angel tuning. Anyone had experience with them?

I was going down the custom code way at first but am now looking into getting a revo remap at TSL Motorsport (nottingham)

I searched a lot of old posts and alot of people have different views on remaps.

I have had the REVO map on my 2002 S3 for 6 months now, i had the trial to start, then went for the full map. The full map, to me, felt alot better than the trial, and altho i have recently had a problem with hesitation, which some people complain about with revo, i dont believe its the map that causes any hesitation, purely the fact that the map has highlighted problems with components, not otherwise noticed with standard map boost etc..

Last night i changed my plugs and a coil pack and so fer i have not felt the hesitation.....fingers crossed.

I can highly recommend REVO ! and with the option of the SPS3, it gave me a good opportunity to get involved in the setup of my map, giving me a good understanding of how the car works, something i personally enjoy doing!

eBay resistor mod all the way :jump:

Why waste £100's when you can do it yourself for less than a tenner :Flush:

Stewart said:
How on earth can a remap 'knacker your temp sensor'??

I suggest it is either a coincidence or the remap has emphasised an existing problem.

The ECU only READS from the various sensors, in NO WAY can it 'write' to them or otherwise affect their normal operation.

After the trial, the map reverts to the REVO version of 'stock' settings, it's not noticeably slower or anything else, it's as close to stock as REVO could make it which is to all us plebs, the same as stock/OEM.

I'm not posting as a REVO biased customer, simply wishing the FACTS to be known so everyone viewing can make an informed and not a misguided opinion.

Just giving my opinion! Like I say they COULD be good but so far Ive had a bad experience.

I'd say its down to personal choice. I must have spent hours researching different options. I'd had revo before so knew what that was like. I wasn't paying an extra £100 to have an MTM map so finally decided on Custom Code as it was close. I'd have probably chosen MRC if it was a little closer.

DaveMK^ said:
Just giving my opinion! Like I say they COULD be good but so far Ive had a bad experience.

Hi Dave,

it's very unfortunate that you feel this way. If you'd like to give us a call in the office next week we're on 01327 301 901. Let us know where you had the trial put on. The sensor issue isn't (cannot be) related to the software, and the stories you've been hearing about trial leaving your car slower aren't true either however if you'd like us to go through this please give us a shout and we can have a chat about it.

Best regards

RevoKev said:
Hi Dave,

it's very unfortunate that you feel this way. If you'd like to give us a call in the office next week we're on 01327 301 901. Let us know where you had the trial put on. The sensor issue isn't (cannot be) related to the software, and the stories you've been hearing about trial leaving your car slower aren't true either however if you'd like us to go through this please give us a shout and we can have a chat about it.

Best regards

Sounds good I'll do that, cheers

jojo said:
Clearly driving around with remapped power for 5 hours, when reverting back to standard, it's going to feel slow.
Damn right

Had the free Revo trial today and i am pretty impressed, it pulls much harder in all the gears. I was told that the free trial only gives about 245bhp so the real one should feel even quicker.
There is sometimes a small flat spot in 3rd/4th gears but i'm putting that down to it only being a quick remap.
I shall try the APR trial before making a decision as it is £125 cheaper at the moment.

I have APR stg 2 and it keeps me smiling